Boost Gauge Location

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shinny

Re: Boost Gauge Location

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:it is a nice gauge, my problem with this is that it looks totally out of place with the rest of the dials :(

I have DIY digital wideband and volt meters where the boost gauge was and it fits with my blue and red theme pretty well I think :thumleft:

All depends what look you're going for TBH...
craig

Post by craig »

My eventual set up when the car is finished, will be a red EMS boost gauge, white speedhut dials and chrome rings. Should look alright.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:
sheppy wrote:it is a nice gauge, my problem with this is that it looks totally out of place with the rest of the dials :(

I have DIY digital wideband and volt meters where the boost gauge was and it fits with my blue and red theme pretty well I think :thumleft:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.shinny.co.uk/photos/cockpit.3.jpg

All depends what look you're going for TBH...

yeah i just mean that the rest are needles and the boost gauge is digital, for me it takes away the retro JDMness. not my cup of tea but each to their own :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:

yeah i just mean that the rest are needles and the boost gauge is digital, for me it takes away the retro JDMness. not my cup of tea but each to their own :thumleft:

sheppy wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Doesn't really matter too much as the clocks are still symmetrical. Great boost gauge though.

yeah, would be amazing if you could get a speedo, rev counter, fuel and temp gauge to match it, the dash would look amazing :shock: :shock:

And a full set of EMS style gauges wouldn't take away the retro jdm ness? :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:

sheppy wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

Doesn't really matter too much as the clocks are still symmetrical. Great boost gauge though.

yeah, would be amazing if you could get a speedo, rev counter, fuel and temp gauge to match it, the dash would look amazing :shock: :shock:

And a full set of EMS style gauges wouldn't take away the retro jdm ness? :lol:

probably, but at least they'd match the boost gauge :thumleft:
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

sheppy wrote:
you won't get any neater than this, the omori ones look crap by comparison.

What!?

Untitled by Ren0W, on Flickr

Nothing wrong with a neat Omori [-(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ren0W wrote:
sheppy wrote:
you won't get any neater than this, the omori ones look crap by comparison.

What!?

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5497/10797202294_919642ccf2_c.jpg[/url]
Untitled by Ren0W, on Flickr

Nothing wrong with a neat Omori [-(

yeah i don't think that looks anywhere near as good as the r-spec gauge. the r-spec one looks near enough OEM.

also, half the gauge is covered, is that a 46mm gauge??

Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Nah, shot under an angle.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ren0W wrote:Nah, shot under an angle.

meh, i just don't think it looks as nice man, different coloured needle too, i'm fussy that way.
shinny

Post by shinny »

sheppy wrote:meh, i just don't think it looks as nice man, different coloured needle too, i'm fussy that way.

So am I... that yellow needle would do my nut in! :whistle:

RedMR² wrote:My eventual set up when the car is finished, will be a red EMS boost gauge, white speedhut dials and chrome rings. Should look alright.

It's just my opinion, so don't please take offence, but that sounds awful to me. Combining white faces with chrome rings and a black EMS gauge, you'll just be highlighting the fact that the gauges are different colours. Imagine this, but with rings highlighting that some of the gauges are black and some are white:

Also, I dislike white gauge faces. I think the massive blue/green backlight looks tacky with the normal EL-glow (which is my personal preference which you don't have to share) and with reverse EL-glow there's a period around twilight when you've got your lights on and your gauges become difficult to read because the luminosity of the EL glow matches the dim light being reflected by the white face.

This is why I ditched my old speedhuts and came up with my own custom solution for a fraction of the price. Well, that and they then matched my Defis and looked almost as if it could have come out of the factory like that (which is the level of neatness I aim for with my interior)

However it's your car, so feel free to prove me wrong :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

RedMR² wrote:My eventual set up when the car is finished, will be a red EMS boost gauge, white speedhut dials and chrome rings. Should look alright.

I've got a set of white trd speedhuts if you are interested? They are n/a but if you are using a different boost gauge then it won't matter.
Lights up blue or green and has a dimmer.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
craig

Post by craig »

simba90 wrote:

I've got a set of white trd speedhuts if you are interested? They are n/a but if you are using a different boost gauge then it won't matter.
Lights up blue or green and has a dimmer.

I already have a set of white speedhuts to go in the car. Thanks for the offer though mate.
craig

Post by craig »

shinny wrote:

It's just my opinion, so don't please take offence, but that sounds awful to me. Combining white faces with chrome rings and a black EMS gauge, you'll just be highlighting the fact that the gauges are different colours.

However it's your car, so feel free to prove me wrong :thumleft:

No offence taken, you're allowed an opinion. My dials are speedhut white dials, I've had Lockwood dials before and thought they just looked cheap.

As I mentioned earlier, with the boost gauge being symmetrical to the clocks, having the fuel,speedo,rev counter and temp gauge in white with a black boost gauge, to me will look alright and all finished off with chrome dial rings.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shinny wrote:So am I... that yellow needle would do my nut in! :whistle:

mine too man, i was after OEM looking boost gauge so bad that i filed down the stock boost gauge needle to fit the prosport gauge, however, the prosport needle WOULD NOT come off no matter how hard i tried :(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”