Tyre choices

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

davidmusgrove

Tyre choices

Post by davidmusgrove »

I need some new rears on my tubby ( standard rev 5 rims ) as it's getting very squirmy at the back and I have 3mm of tread left. I was going to go for the normal toyo proxies t1r 225 50 15 v but then wondered what else was around apart from falkens. I hear that you may be able to get Yokohamas in this size ?? I used to have Goodyear eagles all the time until they stopped making the size in the uk. Any ideas? No point in 300 hp going through inferior rubber as they are what keeps you going in the right direction!!!:-)
RST

Re: Tyre choices

Post by RST »

I hear that you may be able to get Yokohamas in this size ??

How hard have you tried? I just put that size into google and got plenty of hits -3 Yokohama options for UK order!?
davidmusgrove

Post by davidmusgrove »

All the Yokohamas come up like Toyo r888's ie track day tyres which would be no good on the road for all round use. Really need to know if opinions have changed or are proxies still the tyre of choice for folks with standard wheel set ups.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Proxes T1R and Falken 912 are pretty much the only "OK" 225/50/15s you can get which arent semi slicks or utterly xxxx budget ditchfinders.

Upgrade to a 16" wheel and fit some tyres worthy of the car, like Conti sport contact, Bridgestone Potenza, Yoko AD08
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Ive got toyo t1r proxies on 16s and theyre perfect. I got them as i had them put on another car a few years ago to replace a set of pirellis and they felt more grippy!
RST

Post by RST »

Toyos T1-Rs are my choice, but never had them on 15's and there's lots of poor reviews of them on 15's due to sidewall flex. I always liked them -allbeit on thinner sidewalls. Also, despite the poor feedback, on the very few owners runs I've ever done, surprised to see so many Toyos on stock wheels! I never stayed stock wheels to long but Pilot Exaltos used to stick like glue, downside they wore relatively quick. When they werent available in stock sizes is when I changed wheels (was actually cheaper to change wheels than get stock tyre sizes).

I had Falkens on my last tubby -on it when I bought it and they were a bit stretched on pretty wide wheels also, never liked them at all but probably an unfair comparison!

Just sticks in mind all the comments re: toyos on stock wheels. They seem to fair allot better on slightly bigger wheels. All very subjective though! :thumleft:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

RST wrote:Toyos T1-Rs are my choice, but never had them on 15's and there's lots of poor reviews of them on 15's due to sidewall flex. ....

The early T1-Rs were like that so you had to over inflate them to get decent handling.
The newer T1-Rs on 15's dont have the sidewall flex issue.
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I've had toyos for the last years and can't fault them. Currently running T1Rs 215-40-17 and T1 Sports 245-40-17. I had them on my roadster on 15" wheels and they were great on there too. There's probably better tyres by far but you're going to pay a lot more though.
JD

Post by JD »

RST wrote:Toyos T1-Rs are my choice, but never had them on 15's and there's lots of poor reviews of them on 15's due to sidewall flex. I always liked them -allbeit on thinner sidewalls. Also, despite the poor feedback, on the very few owners runs I've ever done, surprised to see so many Toyos on stock wheels! I never stayed stock wheels to long but Pilot Exaltos used to stick like glue, downside they wore relatively quick. When they werent available in stock sizes is when I changed wheels (was actually cheaper to change wheels than get stock tyre sizes).

I had Falkens on my last tubby -on it when I bought it and they were a bit stretched on pretty wide wheels also, never liked them at all but probably an unfair comparison!

Just sticks in mind all the comments re: toyos on stock wheels. They seem to fair allot better on slightly bigger wheels. All very subjective though! :thumleft:

T1Rs on 16s seem a bit too flexy to me. Falkens next up I think.
glen n

Post by glen n »

I'm also on the lookout for tyres

I fancied the Yokohama ado8r tyres but they say they aren't suitable for winter use so not too great if you live in scotland,these were 180 each

I couldn't see toto prizes t1-r in. 245-40-17

Contisport 5 ssr --£-160 each fitted

Avon zz3 --£122 each fitted (I currently run these and have never had an issue)

A lot of folk talk about falken tyres,which are the proffered ones?

I need somthing grippy and I'm not too fussed about wear, I just need somthing that will perform well on quick blasts around the Scottish highlands.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

AD08's are rated to -10degC IIRC but not for ice or snow driving but then who fits tyres to their MR2 that are suited for ice / snow?

I went for a my usual weekly run to Fintry this morning and turned back as half way up into the Campsies there was snow! on the road. Rollicks to that, quick u turn and back down to wet but clear tarmac lol.
glen n

Post by glen n »

raptor95GTS wrote:AD08's are rated to -10degC IIRC but not for ice or snow driving but then who fits tyres to their MR2 that are suited for ice / snow?

I went for a my usual weekly run to Fintry this morning and turned back as half way up into the Campsies there was snow! on the road. Rollicks to that, quick u turn and back down to wet but clear tarmac lol.

Where in Glasgow do you live? I don't think I've ever seen your car about!

I really fancied the yokohamas so I'll do a bit more reading on them. I don't drive the car too often in winter as I've got a van but I'd like the car to be safe when I do take it out. In saying that,this winter has been very mild!
Marf

Post by Marf »

raptor95GTS wrote:AD08's are rated to -10degC IIRC but not for ice or snow driving but then who fits tyres to their MR2 that are suited for ice / snow?

You say that like the AD08 is a winter tyre :lol:

They're a summer tyre which is great in the winter too. For a year round driven daily driver they're ideal.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Marf wrote:

You say that like the AD08 is a winter tyre :lol:

They're a summer tyre which is great in the winter too. For a year round driven daily driver they're ideal.

yes Marf I know that :thumleft:

glen - I live city centre. This winter has been damned wet but so far not icy or even snowy, certainly not low lying areas :)
glen n

Post by glen n »

I'm from paisley,I'll need to keep an eye out for your car.

I think I'll go with the ad08s,I'm just getting prices at the moment
RST

Post by RST »

The early T1-Rs were like that so you had to over inflate them to get decent handling.
The newer T1-Rs on 15's dont have the sidewall flex issue.

...Fairy muff, I always used to add +2psi to my Toyos -but then I live in cooler climates anyway and have always had to do that with my tyres, on pretty much any car anyway. There's no set rule with pressure.
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Was about to say r1r toyo but nowhere seems to have them at the minute.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

glen n wrote:I think I'll go with the ad08s,I'm just getting prices at the moment

I'm also looking for these, I mailed camskill about prices on the AD08R's and they have them coming into stock in around 2-3weeks but couldn't give me a price.

Might be worth holding off to see what prices they come up :D
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Anyone got any experience using contisportcontacts? I need some new rear tires for the turbo - on a budget though and seen a couple of good deals on falken fk452s and contisportcontacts (the first versions). I'm swaying towards the contis atm. any thoughts?
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Just got T1-Rs 225/50/15 on the front, paid £200 fitted which is as much as I'd like to pay really. Also looked at the R1-Rs, AD08s but considering the normal weather around here it seemed silly to get summer tyres.

Quite happy with the T1-Rs so far, we'll see how they do once the rears are the same and have a good spirited drive in it.

I'm on the south side of Glasgow, don't see many 2s around, not any nice ones anyway. Will keep an eye out for your turbo Glen.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”