[Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nic

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Post by Nic »

You could perhaps use a couple of layers of double sided black foam tape, it'd help raised the level and hold it firmly in the correct position.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
ads

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Saab 99 rear spoiler on Mk2 update 2/1/13 finished!photos page 3

Post by ads »

Nic wrote:You could perhaps use a couple of layers of double sided black foam tape, it'd help raised the level and hold it firmly in the correct position.

yes was thinking the same thing - today I used double sided tape stacked up to see how high it needs to go, will probably have to use a moulding strip of some kind to fill the gap

here we are, making slow progress, this is about the height it needs to be

showing the gap that underneath that need a moulding strip trimmed to fill it in ..

And square on from behind. no more raised corners - the more I see it the more I love it !

Anyway that's it now for me until after xmas

what do you all think so far ? at this stage it's best to decide exactly what will work then I can get it finished
synXero

Post by synXero »

Staying black or going body coloured?

Really pleased to see such innovation!
ads

Post by ads »

synXero wrote:Staying black or going body coloured?

Really pleased to see such innovation!

Staying black for that retro feel - had my brother take a look today, shape reminded him slightly of an original 911 rs from certain angles, really transforms the rear.

Appreciate everyone's positive comments on what is only a tiny project.
ads

video walkaround

Post by ads »

Video shows how it looks in trial fit, along with a few minor issues to be addressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e520Mqj ... video_user
ads

Post by ads »

Progress today - took hours to make a template to right shape when spoiler was bent to fit curvature of boot , then drilled nine holes in my boot , nerve wracking !!

Initially bolted in, needs a few adjustments with screw lengths etc.

Should get alignment as perfect as possible over the next week or so then it's time to apply the Tigerseal to the front edge and front corners, then There's no chance whatsoever it's going to fly off

As I said I was worried about drilling the first few holes, but looking at the car now I can see it'll be awesome, at least in my opinion
8)
ads

Post by ads »

big progress today on what's now referred to in our family as 'spoilergate'

WARNING - if you think you're going to bolt a SAAB spoiler straight onto your '2 in half an hour you are badly mistaken. There has been a LOT of swearing involved, but I think it'll be worth it.

biggest pain was making a paper template made to mark position of for drill - stress city drilling an almost pristine boot :( oh God what have I done

if anyone wants a go at this and needs a template I've kept mine so can get one made up in thin card and send to anyone on here who wants to try fitting on of these. will be somewhere near with hole location but by no means perfect. because you have to bend the front corners forwards a little when you position the spoiler to make the template, it's hard to get it bang on - ended up with most of holes becoming slots to allow for adjustment. boot looked looked like s**t full of drilled holes, no going back now though ..

so with holes drilled and covered in anti rust primer it was time to give the boot contact surface a final wipe with isopropyl alcohol - I just used household cleaning wipes from the £1 shop that are soaked with this stuff

I'd already thoroughly scrubbed the spoiler itself, given the underneath a quick sand over with 400 grit wet and dry ( including sanding off the SAAB logo on the top ) and put it under the shower for good measure ( Phil you'd never do this would you? :) as you can see it's pretty bendy

It's all in the prep as usual and I wanted to make sure it was right when I stuck down the leading edge with Tigerseal .

So then it was a case of bolting it on beforehand to make sure everything was aligned right, then unscrewing again and applying Tigerseal to the leading edge only ( NOT to the back and sides - repeat NOT they need to be free to allow the spoiler to be raised by 1cm at back using screws with nuts as spacers between boot and underside of spoiler - this is for the sides of the spoiler to clear the rear wings of the car )

gingerly lower the spoiler down in right position, then bolt in a couple of the inner front edge screws from underneath .. Tigerseal stops spoiler slipping around but take it slowly, you don't want big slippage and Tigerseal smeared all over your boot.

then all other screws in ..

point to note - I found a good guy 1/2 mile away from me who supplied imperial fit stainless steel screws - the only company in the UK who can supply coloured stainless steel fittings, nuts, bolts etc. no one else can colour stainless so he says .apparently he can also colour anything, like brake calipers etc. reckons £40 for a set of four calipers sounds good ?

He's having a CNC machine soon to manufacture his own fittings and custom stuff so I said I'd give him a mention here. ( GWR fasteners oswestry )

Anyway back to the fit . all bolted down and Tigerseal starting to grab well - tonight it looks like this, top corners weighted down at their front edge only - leaving the Tigerseal to set over 24 hours .

10mm gap at back between spoiler edge and bootlid doesn't bother me, could fill it with black draught excluder strips or similar I suppose

Using Autoglym rubber trim cleaner to get spoiler back to black or as near as possible

Then few more jobs to do on back end, like changing badge and wrapping exhaust with titanium wrap to cover up the welding on the pipe between the PP back boxes ( mild steel pipes they rot like hell ) wrapping the u bend to match for a bit of a race look even though I've had a stainless replacement welded on

I'll be glad to get all the rubbish cleared out the way, then a damn good wash for Muttley

Should be posting photos of final result before friday with luck , any thoughts in general ?

oh and happy New Year everyone !! :clap:
craig

Post by craig »

Kudos on a job well done mate, I know that feeling of "sh*t, what have I done!? No going back now!* horrible feeling, but looks like it's paid off. Nice work. :thumleft:
ads

Post by ads »

RedMR² wrote:Kudos on a job well done mate, I know that feeling of "sh*t, what have I done!? No going back now!* horrible feeling, but looks like it's paid off. Nice work. :thumleft:

cheers mate, appreciated . at least it won't be flying off the car in a hurry ..
craig

Post by craig »

ads wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Kudos on a job well done mate, I know that feeling of "sh*t, what have I done!? No going back now!* horrible feeling, but looks like it's paid off. Nice work. :thumleft:

cheers mate, appreciated . at least it won't be flying off the car in a hurry ..

Yeah, I think it's pretty fair to say it's attached. :mrgreen:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ah man, i wish you hadn't drilled it :( fantastic job though!! i'm guessing you missed my post regarding the CT-1 bonding stuff?? i guess it's only a bootlid after all :lol:

again, looks great :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:ah man, i wish you hadn't drilled it :( fantastic job though!! i'm guessing you missed my post regarding the CT-1 bonding stuff?? i guess it's only a bootlid after all :lol:

Needed drilling dude, certainly wouldn't rely on that just held on by bond! Boot lids are ten a peny anyways.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:ah man, i wish you hadn't drilled it :( fantastic job though!! i'm guessing you missed my post regarding the CT-1 bonding stuff?? i guess it's only a bootlid after all :lol:

Needed drilling dude, certainly wouldn't rely on that just held on by bond! Boot lids are ten a peny anyways.

you've obviously never used the stuff :D but yeah you're right, a boot lid is nothing :thumleft:
ads

Post by ads »

sheppy wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

you've obviously never used the stuff :D but yeah you're right, a boot lid is nothing :thumleft:

I did have a look at the CT1 thanks for the tip off on that, looked awesome stuff but went with that Tigerseal simply because looking at reviews online there were more people that had used it successfully. My brother also used it on his rally car.

As I mentioned I had to drill it anyway since I had to raise the back by 1cm . Could have used high density foam blocks so if anyone wants to try that option go ahead.

Got to say I wanted the security of screws though.

The other option is to shave 1cm off the bottom of the sides where they meet the wing corners, then you don't have to raise the back of the spoiler at all. Although this would seem easier the spoiler would lie flatter with less of a kick up attitude. Didn't want to risk not liking the angle.
ads

FINISHED

Post by ads »

All done ! 8)

Got to say I'm really pleased with the end result, ok it's not Kei Office or Bomex Drift but it's unique as far as I know.

BIG THANK YOU to everyone on here that gave support and encouragement, I was wavering when it came to drilling the boot but all turned out well - for a project cost of @ £35 all in I'm really pleased.

Photos not perfect but they'll do for now, please excuse state of wheels, refurb in progress. For those that will ask, exhaust is Phoenix Power Departure 1 .

A few notes ; if you don't want to drill the boot there's screw mounts right on the end either side where the spoiler corners butt against the boot. you could use these and a small right angled bracket to secure internally to boot, then use Tigerseal on it's own to stick down the leading edge. Then use self adhesive high density foam blocks about 1cm thick to raise the back edge.

personally I wanted the security of plenty of screws holding this thing down. ok I couldn't restore the boot if I wanted to go spoilerless again, but right now I'm loving the car with this fitted, really beefs up the back end without going over the top. I'm keeping it black btw for that retro look, also it slims down the bootlid from the back, making the car look a little more squat and wider as a result.

I'm more than happy to give advice and supply drilling template for those that want to try this fit themselves, also if you're nearby and want to come take a look no problem PM me ( I'm in Oswestry, North Shropshire roughly 30 miles from Chester, 20 from Shrewsbury, equidistant from Brum Manchester and Liverpool.
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

Wow that looks great! Good job!
craig

Post by craig »

Nice job! :clap:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Looks good sort of a mini bomex drift wing :thumleft:
ads

Post by ads »

Thanks for the positive comments yes maybe it does look like a small bomex drift .. Saab 900 turbos also had the bigger version whaletail but that's at least four times more expensive and is mainly fibreglass with a rubber lip so would be harder to adapt, would look pretty wild though if done right.

Anyway I'm happy with what I've got here, plenty of these on ebay if anyone fancies doing the same
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Be interested to see what it's like with rev3 rear lights and panel.

Looks fun!

Return to “Modifications”