[Mk2] [Generic] 1ZZ-FE (Coil-on-Plug) Conversion

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rosssco

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] 1ZZ-FE (Coil-on-Plug) Conversion

Post by Rosssco »

The only good thing to come out of Dalgety Bay is this man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1unXQiwl ... re=related

:lol:
mr2c8cya

Post by mr2c8cya »

:clap:
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Ok, I fitted the 1ZZ-FE coils and modified loom section. By using part of the rubber sections cut from the old HT leads, the coils fit so snugly, I'm not going to bother bolting or further securing them to the cam cover, as it takes more force to pull one of these out than the standard HT plug!

For the +12v and ground, I've simply wired the +12v and ground on the coils to the wires feeding the original coil, the theory being that this is already suitable for the job, and is ignition switched.

I was struggling to get the G3 to talk to my laptop, but eventually got it working, and was able to access the settings. My main aim was to identify what output functions were already set up. As can be seen from the pics below, there are 2 unused Aux output functions, and a further 2 availble in the Aux ignition output section (ID 1/2). I am slightly confused as to why the 'Purge' and CE Light' functions are assigned to the ignition drive outputs rather than the Aux outputs themselves when there is spares available.. :-k

Anyhoo, Question 1 - now that i've identifed there are sufficient unused outputs, how can I trace which wires each refers to function on the loom plug?

Question 2 - Once I've found this out, it looks to be a simple process of re-wiring, and then selecting the drop down menu for each functions, and re-assigning. Is this correct?

Just these 4 wires to locate suitable homes for, then hope fully this should work (along with setting dwell).

Ross
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

You could pm Brian...T.F.S on here...he has already done this conversion and may be able to help you iron out a few niggles.
Nails

Post by Nails »

I thought the standard ignition was good upto 19-20 psi?

But anyway why I was posting was I hated the cooler's position aswell, it blocks acess to the spark plugs far too much, and on a tubby never mind a big power tubby I'd like to check the plugs a bit easier and more often, and I thought about making a few brackets to move the cooler foward and to the left of the bay towards the air filter, couple of bends and some more silcone hoses and be able to reconnect up?

Ive been looking at the c/c's again to fit to this one possibly due to the low cost and the fact the second hand intercoolers that look like bags of hammers and go for silly money.

I'd also like a bigger turbo and a screamer pipe also as I did like the sound of that one :D
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

I'm running 25psi mapped on V power just fine. Will be upping the boost some more shortly too.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Rosssco wrote:Ok, I fitted the 1ZZ-FE coils and modified loom section. By using part of the rubber sections cut from the old HT leads, the coils fit so snugly, I'm not going to bother bolting or further securing them to the cam cover, as it takes more force to pull one of these out than the standard HT plug!

For the +12v and ground, I've simply wired the +12v and ground on the coils to the wires feeding the original coil, the theory being that this is already suitable for the job, and is ignition switched.

I was struggling to get the G3 to talk to my laptop, but eventually got it working, and was able to access the settings. My main aim was to identify what output functions were already set up. As can be seen from the pics below, there are 2 unused Aux output functions, and a further 2 availble in the Aux ignition output section (ID 1/2). I am slightly confused as to why the 'Purge' and CE Light' functions are assigned to the ignition drive outputs rather than the Aux outputs themselves when there is spares available.. :-k

Anyhoo, Question 1 - now that i've identifed there are sufficient unused outputs, how can I trace which wires each refers to function on the loom plug?

Question 2 - Once I've found this out, it looks to be a simple process of re-wiring, and then selecting the drop down menu for each functions, and re-assigning. Is this correct?

Just these 4 wires to locate suitable homes for, then hope fully this should work (along with setting dwell).

Ross

the online emanual from the link site should have the pin outs in it if you have used a universal type...it should also be in the help menu in your programme (well it is with g4 and i expec g3 might be the same)

put purge and ce outputs to aux and rewire them to those outputs

you need to reassign to cyl1, 2 etc and theres also another screen where you need to select direct fire

theres also a test feature where you can spark the plugs to make sure its all wired up correctly

then you may have set the timing, it may not just start up. like we would like it to without adjustment
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

TFS - I have not looked into setting up the timing on my COPs yet.. Could you explain what the procedure is?

'Btw... If it involves using the jumper in the diag box, i no longer have it!

Rosssco :- page 16 i believe.
http://www.linkecu.com/support/document ... tion/LEMG3
mr2c8cya

Post by mr2c8cya »

you have to put in the dwell time aswell
8v 6.3ms
9v 5.3ms
10v 4.4ms
11v 3.8ms
12v 3.2ms
13v 2.7ms
14v 2.4ms
15v 2.2ms
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Thanks for the replies folks. It does look straight forward to rewire using the info provided by the ECU itself, and the pin out on page 16 of the manual. However, I was under the impression the ECU was installed (and subsequently mapped) by 2Bar Tuning.

Now this is where I think I'm getting confused, as in reference to their website, which also gives pin out / wiring info, there is differences in the pin arrangment, which to be fair, doesnt seeem to correspond to my ECU.

http://www.2bartuning.com/#/resources-mr2/4527157490

Now, if the pin allocations noted on page 16 of the G3 installation manual are fixed and cannot be re-assigned (talking output function to pin, not specific function to each output function), then there isnt an issue, and I can re-wire. I'm just worried where the 2Bar tuning stuff comes in.. :-k

Thanks for the dwell info. I'll get to that..

Ross
dantical

Post by dantical »

hey,.. are These dwell times definitely ok ?

you have to put in the dwell time aswell
8v 6.3ms
9v 5.3ms
10v 4.4ms
11v 3.8ms
12v 3.2ms
13v 2.7ms
14v 2.4ms
15v 2.2ms

Thanks guys :thumleft:
dantical

Post by dantical »

does anyone know if it is possible to put These times into the power fc? as my mapper says my power fc can only Change by RPM and not by voltage ? :-k :pale:

Return to “Modifications”