Stock Rev 3 turbo 0-60

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3gtturbo

Stock Rev 3 turbo 0-60

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Ok I know some of these cars will soon be 20yrs old and lost some power over the years, but what sort of 0-60 times would you expect from a completely stock Rev 3 turbo with approx 80,000 miles on the clock?

Note the turbo had been replaced last year with a TT replacement CT20b.
craig

Re: Stock Rev 3 turbo 0-60

Post by craig »

if it's well looked after and a completely healthy engine, producing stock power, then low 5's :thumleft:
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Agree with Red, turn the boost up to 17psi and it will go under 5 :thumleft:
No 2 :(
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

wonder what my new toy will do - wonder if you can get a 0-60 app for smartphone (im new to app phones :mrgreen: )
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Thanks for the replies.

Is that low 5s running on fumes or with a full tank? lol
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Other factors are clutch condition, what tyres you have and is your factory diff still up to scratch.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Can you just up the boost to 17 without any supporting mods?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Mr.Two wrote:Can you just up the boost to 17 without any supporting mods?

You can but it would be unwise. Also, boost is not the full story to making extra power out of the car.

If starting from scratch I would fit aftermarket:
1) Boost gauge
2) Induction
3) Exhaust
4) Intercooler
5) One grade colder spark plugs

Only then would I fit an EBC and increase boost.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Yeah figured if it was that simple then it would've left the factory at 17psi :lol:

At a guess, what sort of figures would you be looking at with those mods - probably aftermarket management too - Link or Apexi PFC? If it's near to 4 seconds then surely you've got supercar performance for sub £3k?! :D
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

The question was for a standard car.

This one is a lot slower than 5s.

Tyres are probably a factor as it has Nexen 15s on the rear which are not as grippy as the Toyo 15s that I have on my faster high mileage mr2.

Another clue is it takes ages to warm up according to the dashboard gauge, although the fuel economy is almost the same. Also the stock turbo boost gauge is only going half way up once it eventually decides to join in. Not noticed any clutch slip.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

rev3gtturbo wrote:The question was for a standard car.

Tyres are probably a factor as it has Nexen 15s on the rear which are not as grippy as the Toyo 15s that I have on my faster high mileage mr2.

Another clue is it takes ages to warm up according to the dashboard gauge, although the fuel economy is almost the same. Also the stock turbo boost gauge is only going half way up once it eventually decides to join in. Not noticed any clutch slip.

Sounds to me like your in low boost mode
Water temp gauge should get to half water within 10minutes and stay there rock solid and stock boost gauge should be hitting the plus marker.
It's not wonder you doubt 5s if either of these is wrong.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

My rev2 turbo with a good launch used to do it in 5.1 seconds iv heard of rev3's doing them in 4.7 with breathing mods and slightly higher boost
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

jasongtr wrote:wonder what my new toy will do - wonder if you can get a 0-60 app for smartphone (im new to app phones :mrgreen: )

ulysse speedometer, it does what it says on the packet, 0-60, standing quarter etc. how accurate I don't know but it's fun trying to get a new personnel best. How's the new car ? I was right on your heels to buying it :wink:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

cheers, ill check it out.

its a weapon but has a few little issues as most used performance cars do, aside from the wheel refurb, bonnet and drop links which were on the bad points, the idle is a little high and trying to get to the bottom of it, and im not 100% sure the charge cooler is man enough for the job.

Oh and yellow stuff pads are not great when cold.

Ive not driven it on the road as its yet to be insured, but a mate of mine who is a racing driver took it out and was very impressed
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

jimGTS wrote:
rev3gtturbo wrote:The question was for a standard car.

Sounds to me like your in low boost mode
Water temp gauge should get to half water within 10minutes and stay there rock solid and stock boost gauge should be hitting the plus marker.
It's not wonder you doubt 5s if either of these is wrong.

Comment about the fuel load was a bit tongue in cheek cos found a few mr2 turbo 0-60 runs on the web and the fuel gauge was sometimes almost empty to help the time.

Glad to hear a healthy standard tubby can still get to 60 in 5s.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Quick update.

Took car to Pacific Works on Saturday to replace the thermostat and diagnose the reduced acceleration which was quickly diagnosed and fixed by Luke with a part he had in stock. Its good to feel the sinking into the back of the Recaro seat on Lukes test drives. :D

Somehow I cant get it to go as quick as Luke, but thats just my driving and a decade of being used to my other MR2 turbo which has a different sound and feel!

Big thumbs up to Luke and Harry at Pacific Works :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

funny i can get other peoples cars to go faster than the owners can :mrgreen:
shinny

Post by shinny »

jasongtr wrote:funny i can get other peoples cars to go faster than the owners can :mrgreen:

Cars are always faster from the passenger seat...
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

rev3gtturbo wrote:Quick update.

Took car to Pacific Works on Saturday to replace the thermostat and diagnose the reduced acceleration which was quickly diagnosed and fixed by Luke with a part he had in stock. Its good to feel the sinking into the back of the Recaro seat on Lukes test drives. :D

Somehow I cant get it to go as quick as Luke, but thats just my driving and a decade of being used to my other MR2 turbo which has a different sound and feel!

Big thumbs up to Luke and Harry at Pacific Works :thumleft:

What was the diagnosis that was fixed?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

faulty bov

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”