oil light?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

charlie

oil light?

Post by charlie »

is it possible to wire in an oil warning light?.if so how?.thanks
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: oil light?

Post by LimeyMk1 »

charlie wrote:is it possible to wire in an oil warning light?.if so how?.thanks

Oil pressure or level warning? :-k
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Or just check your oil?
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

There is one isn't there?

It would also be very easy to wire an aftermarket light to the existing sensor which screws into the engine block near to the oil filter housing.

I hope this helps.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

aw11rally wrote:There is one isn't there?

It would also be very easy to wire an aftermarket light to the existing sensor which screws into the engine block near to the oil filter housing.

I hope this helps.

That wouldn't really give any reading would it? As it's half way up the block...

Surely you' want it in the sump?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

I hope this helps.

That wouldn't really give any reading would it? As it's half way up the block...

Hence my question.

Low pressure warning light could be taken from the sensor on the block.

Low level warning light would need a hole drilled in the sump and a float sensor fitted and wired in.
stenky

Post by stenky »

i thought that all AW11's have oil pressure gauge and therefore pressure sender, which should be more useful than a plain pressure switch that only sends signal when pressure is low.
if you prefer switch to sender unit, you can use oil pressure sender from 3SGE/GTE celica, all should fit. maybe other toyota switches will work too.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

LimeyMk1 wrote:
SuperRedMR2 wrote:

I hope this helps.

Hence my question.

Low pressure warning light could be taken from the sensor on the block.

Low level warning light would need a hole drilled in the sump and a float sensor fitted and wired in.

Until I put a spade connector on my pressure sensor wire the output was all over the place anyway, so I never really paid much attention to the gauge.

I imagine you could use the existing oil cooler line, plumb a sensor into that as well as running the oil cooler setup and run a wire from that?
charlie

Post by charlie »

sorry should have been a bit more detailed! :oops: I am after a low pressure light and want to keep the gauge as is and working.got a light but not sure if it can be done or how to wire it if it does.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just put a T piece on the block where the stock pressure switch goes and add a Mk2 pressure switch, this will act as an "idiot light" for the dashboard and will provide earth when low/no pressure.

Very simple wiring.... sender/wire to dash bulb as a ground, provide bulb with 12v ignition, done.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Just put a T piece on the block where the stock pressure switch goes and add a Mk2 pressure switch, this will act as an "idiot light" for the dashboard and will provide earth when low/no pressure.

Very simple wiring.... sender/wire to dash bulb as a ground, provide bulb with 12v ignition, done.

Exactly what we've got on the rally car. Works well. A good old fashioned round amber side repeater (e.g. vauxhall nova) makes a very noticeable warning light.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Cheers the 2 pauls.one last q.what thread is needed for the t piece?.cheers
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's 1/8th BSPT.

You can use this adaptor...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARLET-COROL ... 232f6186f8

Now although the extra fitting is for NPT and not BSPT you will find it works perfectly, just screw the Mk2 sender in with PTFE tape, it will be fine, or if you're worried about that then buy an aftermarket NPT sensor.

I sometimes make my own adapter from brake servo/manifold fittings and female brake pipe unions, same threads.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Cheers paul :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”