Mr2 didn't sell...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Mr2 didn't sell...

Post by Ryan S »

so most of you probably seen my mr2 in the for sale section, i had no end of daft offers of £1500 etc....not to mention swaps for all kinds of things, i've taken my advert down and removed it from the other places too and have decided just to keep it, what's wrong with the market these days?? i had a wee nosey on ebay,pistonheads etc...the prices seem to vary wildly from car to car, at £2300 the thing was an absolute steal, i think i'd have felt a bit angry for selling it at this price, anyway, after a ridiculous insurance quote today (£167 fully comp), i've decided to hang onto it and fix the sills and do any other jobs that need doing (wee bit of interior trim needs replaced) i do love the car, i've wanted an Mr2 since i was a kid. I might even put the bike away for a week or two, see if I can rekindle the romance i once had for it :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Mr2 didn't sell...

Post by Ryan S »

i have a border front end and nice side skirts to go on so might even do that too :lol:
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

Good for you mate £2300 was way too cheap!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Herts66 wrote:Good for you mate £2300 was way too cheap!

yeah man i agree, to be honest, i doubted if i could go through with the sale at that price, and ultimately, i'd be on the hunt for another in 6 months, it's happened 3 times already, i'll sort the sills and at £167 to insure, i;d be silly not to hang onto it, :thumleft:
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

You've made the right choice to keep it. I dont think I will ever sell my 2. No car will ever come close to a mr2 turbo in terms of fun, performance and reliability considering its price and cheap insurance.
craig

Post by craig »

You're better off keeping it, fixing it and enjoying it rather than letting it go for peanuts.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Johnr32 wrote:You've made the right choice to keep it. I dont think I will ever sell my 2. No car will ever come close to a mr2 turbo in terms of fun, performance and reliability considering its price and cheap insurance.

i completely agree mate, my problem is that i have the bike as well, and no car will ever some close to that in terms of fun or performance :( the fact that i couldn't even get £2300 for a car that in my opinion is worth a lot more than that has made me completely change my mind, why should i give it to somebody for that price?? i'd rather keep it as an ornament!!! having said that, not having driven it since june, i'm really looking forward to getting it taxed and back on the road on monday, i'm not using the bike over the winter (i used to use my 125 over the winter and hated it) so the mr2 will have a purpose. plus, i know that in 6 months time, i'll be on the hunt for another mr2, and mine is in superb condition and in the colour i like :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:You're better off keeping it, fixing it and enjoying it rather than letting it go for peanuts.

yeah that's exactly what i'm doing, the sills are suuuch an easy repair, literally a rub down, prime and paint. i'd rather have the car sitting doing nothing than let it go for that price, all it does is drive down the price of other decent examples.
glen n

Post by glen n »

The market seems to be terrible just now,it's overpriced crap everywhere and decent cars selling far too cheap.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

glen n wrote:The market seems to be terrible just now,it's overpriced crap everywhere and decent cars selling far too cheap.

i think you're right mate, selling my car cheap would only add to the problem :(
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

The sad reality of older cars now is that the majority of the time they're worth more in pieces to help others live on.

Yours is a nice example and being turbo there's more of a market but the Mr2's biggest issue is that they're not practical for families so they're not really the most desirable things ever which is daft :-(
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

sheppy wrote:
Johnr32 wrote:You've made the right choice to keep it. I dont think I will ever sell my 2. No car will ever come close to a mr2 turbo in terms of fun, performance and reliability considering its price and cheap insurance.

i completely agree mate, my problem is that i have the bike as well, and no car will ever some close to that in terms of fun or performance

On a dry summers day my old mr2 out run my mates Yamaha r6, not as much fun maybe but for me it was the next best thing :wink:
I may have bought this mr2 but you were wanting over 4k to start with which made me go elsewhere, stick the body kit on her and i'm sure some luv will be restored :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Martin F wrote:
sheppy wrote:

i completely agree mate, my problem is that i have the bike as well, and no car will ever some close to that in terms of fun or performance

On a dry summers day my old mr2 out run my mates Yamaha r6, not as much fun maybe but for me it was the next best thing :wink:
I may have bought this mr2 but you were wanting over 4k to start with which made me go elsewhere, stick the body kit on her and i'm sure some luv will be restored :thumleft:

my mr2 might have kept up with my 600, but the 900?? not a chance, the 900 gets to 100mph in around 5 seconds (maybe less), it does 85mph in first gear :) £3950 was my starting price :( that was before i properly inspected the sills, i didn;t even realize they had rust on them at first :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ryan6926 wrote:The sad reality of older cars now is that the majority of the time they're worth more in pieces to help others live on.

Yours is a nice example and being turbo there's more of a market but the Mr2's biggest issue is that they're not practical for families so they're not really the most desirable things ever which is daft :-(

you could be right mate, it seems cars are more neccessity these days rather than a luxury, so people seem to want 1 car that can do everything, between us, me and the missus have 4 cars and 2 motorbikes on the road (1 car being hers)
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

Prices have gone through the floor, I sold my rev2 for £2.5k a bit over a year ago, and it was quite a bit older than yours - well with a forged engine - but still older. I think you're never gonna get a price you want for them, unless you break them and take your time... such is fate of really old cars. Hitting on 25 yrs old (some of them) doesn't help either... with insurance that cheap, if you have space on your drive, I'd be keeping it too!
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

cvega666 wrote:Prices have gone through the floor, I sold my rev2 for £2.5k a bit over a year ago, and it was quite a bit older than yours - well with a forged engine - but still older. I think you're never gonna get a price you want for them, unless you break them and take your time... such is fate of really old cars. Hitting on 25 yrs old (some of them) doesn't help either... with insurance that cheap, if you have space on your drive, I'd be keeping it too!

yeah man, the insurance thing deffo turned my thinking around, also, i was at a classic car show last week, and looking at all the old cars i'd like to have, then it suddenly dawned on me, i have the old classic car i want, in the form of the mr2!! my first car was a 1972 mg midget, which when i got it, wasn't far off the age of the mr2!!!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Who you insured with with modifications that cheap??

That's mental!!

I hate to say it though, but surely there must be a reason why it didn't sell at the price you had it up for? People say, that's cheap, so why didn't someone buy it? You must of had some feedback from anyone who came to see it?

I think for yellow, it would have been a good buy to anyone if they loved the colour, such a rare colour.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:Who you insured with with modifications that cheap??

That's mental!!

I hate to say it though, but surely there must be a reason why it didn't sell at the price you had it up for? People say, that's cheap, so why didn't someone buy it? You must of had some feedback from anyone who came to see it?

I think for yellow, it would have been a good buy to anyone if they loved the colour, such a rare colour.

see my other post regarding the insurance Jim :thumleft:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

nobody actually came to view the car, it was all texts or emails, the only feedback i had was that the price was too high at £2600, i had no end of offers for swaps and 100's of questions regarding condition etc. if they actually came to see the car and hear it running/test drove it, it deffo would have sold, i agree, yellow has to be the rarest colour and one of my faves!
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

If your going to sell it, put it up in spring.
Also being yellow its only suited to someone who relaly wants that colour so hopefully someone comes along eventually that needs a yellow one but your right not to sell at that price!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gullzter wrote:If your going to sell it, put it up in spring.
Also being yellow its only suited to someone who relaly wants that colour so hopefully someone comes along eventually that needs a yellow one but your right not to sell at that price!

ach, i reckon i'll just keep it mate, i was a couple of grand short for a pickup i wanted, i've missed out on it now so will just save over the winter for one, my business (car wash) booms in the winter anyway :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”