The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ben

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Ben »

Yeah stick with it I reckon mate - you've said before that the current engine suits the characteristics of the car very well, and a big V8 or laggy turbo will alter the driving experience too much.

I'd say, if you can patch the current engine up again without throwing tons of money at it it's got to be worth a look. Otherwise, how easy would it be to find another Fiat twin-cam engine to slot straight in?

Alternatively, I know Ford zetec engines are very popular with the kit car crowd; presumably for a reason :-k
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

Damn Phil. Not good. I've only had something like that happen once and fortunately it was a washer and didn't so any serious damage.
Hope it all gets sorted ok.
Like you say if its 80hp down on what you thought then it should be a monster with the correct engine.
I agree. These cars arnt about power. Lightness and agility can be more fun and you can have that fun with out going at illegal speeds on the road.
synXero

Post by synXero »

It's simple.

What you need to do is buy back ex-Mule. Remove the 3S-GTE from it, and fit it to this.

400 laggy boosting HPs would be ideal in a featherweight!
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

option 3 Phil then have a super charger fitted when time/money allow! and not a huge silly one ether - I think that combo may well be what your after?
synXero

Post by synXero »

Good idea, I say I think I know a man with a Rotrex charger he could sell... Ideal for 2 litre engines you say...?!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

synXero wrote:It's simple.

What you need to do is buy back ex-Mule. Remove the 3S-GTE from it, and fit it to this.

400 laggy boosting HPs would be ideal in a featherweight!

That engine was scary enough in that shell, which was around 700kg heavier. Can you imagine what it would be like in a narrow bodied Westfield :shock:

slipping clutch wrote:option 3 Phil then have a super charger fitted when time/money allow! and not a huge silly one ether - I think that combo may well be what your after?

I'd like to try a supercharged car one day. I'm not sure this would be the right car/engine for it though, as everything would need to be custom built. Better to buy a car with it ready done and save the pain of doing it myself :wink:

I paid a visit to see Nick last night, with the promise of exploring the delights of the sump. How could a man resist an offer like that?! :lol:

The head is now off the car, so we could see the extent of the damage and get a better picture of what's required going forward to get it running again.

The current cams are high lift however appear to be regrinds, so not ideal f you're supposedly building a 200bhp engine!

The block.

The damage to the head

And what it did the other end

We now have a good understanding of what's required to get it running again. To what extent that's done is as yet undecided, however I'm not looking to put big money into it as the potential gains don't fully justify the cost.

Currently required as a minimum:

New pistons and rings - These will be 84.4mm high compression pistons, cast not forged
Big end shells - The ones in there show signs of wear, the crank is clean though.
Tensioner bearing
Oil pump
Gasket set

All of the above I plan to pick up when I go to the States in a week's time, as they can be delivered to a friend's house and are massively cheaper than the UK.

Optional:

Full head repair and prep by Guy Croft, depending on cost and if he's even willing to do it.
Guy Croft cams
Guy Croft forged pistons

If we just go with the required items the car will be running and running pretty well. It won't be running at it's bleeding edge potential, however it won't cost thousands of pounds. It will allow me to use the car, get a feel for it, track it and then be able to make a educated decision of what power is needed and if this car fits the bill. If not then it can be sold with hopefully minimal lost and something else found.

Some good news is that we took a look at the main jet in the carbs and it does appear to be the correct size, so that's hopefully one potential source of issues removed from the equation.

Clarity is goooood :D

Thanks again to Nick for his time last night :thumleft:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Off with its head! :rambo:

Good to see some progress already, I definitely think you're on the right track trying to get it back together and running properly without throwing loads of money at it. I'll be following this with interest once your back from the States :thumleft:

Out of interest, will the head be OK with the current damage once the new pistons, rings etc are in? It doesn't look like the calve seats are damaged....
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

good to see it moving forward in the right direction..

i do reakon an SC in a kit car would suit as its like a more power full na really just with a good wine as power is instant... (for future refernce)

get it sorted trak it
have fun...

good work mr Nick
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Ben wrote:Off with its head! :rambo:

Good to see some progress already, I definitely think you're on the right track trying to get it back together and running properly without throwing loads of money at it. I'll be following this with interest once your back from the States :thumleft:

Out of interest, will the head be OK with the current damage once the new pistons, rings etc are in? It doesn't look like the calve seats are damaged....

It seems the logical approach and if I do keep it for the long haul and do want a little more power from that engine I can always have it done at a later date.

The head should be ok after being welded and ground back. :pray:

pistol pete wrote:
i do reakon an SC in a kit car would suit as its like a more power full na really just with a good wine as power is instant... (for future refernce)

Would certainly be fun. We'll see what happens long term :wink:

Not in this car though.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

This is little car sounds like it is going to get a whole lot more interesting thats for sure. Personally i dont know what id do in your shoes Phil... all i know is that im gutted i didnt get a hurl in it :P

however, i reckon id try get it running again with its current engine and go for a high compression full blown NA effort.

Thats a shame about the grub screw... however, as they say.. everything happens for a reason buddy ;) maybe it was a sign to get the car going how you would like it to.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GeorgeL wrote:This is little car sounds like it is going to get a whole lot more interesting thats for sure. Personally i dont know what id do in your shoes Phil... all i know is that im gutted i didnt get a hurl in it :P

however, i reckon id try get it running again with its current engine and go for a high compression full blown NA effort.

Thats a shame about the grub screw... however, as they say.. everything happens for a reason buddy ;) maybe it was a sign to get the car going how you would like it to.

It'll be fixed so the ride's still on, no matter what I'm driving at the time :)
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Magic Beans wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:This is little car sounds like it is going to get a whole lot more interesting thats for sure. Personally i dont know what id do in your shoes Phil... all i know is that im gutted i didnt get a hurl in it :P

It'll be fixed so the ride's still on, no matter what I'm driving at the time :)

awesome!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

*Blows off the dust* Been a while hasn't it 8-[

Just a few words to say where things are right about now and where they're going. Also where they might be going too.... :-#

So the Westy engine is currently goosed, however after some time assessing and considering we know what needs doing and I know what I'm looking at doing with it.

We're off to the States in a couple of days, for the grand tour of the deep south (y'all). While we're there I've got a whole bunch of parts for the Westy engine being sent to a friend's house, who we're staying with on week 2 of the trip. The list comprises of:

* High compression pistons
* Big end shells
* Tensioner bearing
* Full gasket set
* Oil pump - This I think we'll actually source elsewhere, due to potential shipping issues.

I'm no longer looking at a full Guy Croft head build, as after some serious consideration I've decided that this engine will never meet my ultimate goals. The money required to get it there just doesn't weigh up right now. Especially as something new has appeared on the horizon. That however I can't comment on right now, however sufficed to say it's pretty extreme! We'll see what happens between now and when we get back I guess. :wink:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

there is always something to catch ya

look forward to mule 4 :)

good to hear there is still progress though..

enjoy your road trip buddy...

and don't forget..

"what's the retail on one of those" :oldtongue:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Cheers Pete :)

Don't worry, I've got a few special lines for them :wink:

At the moment these two videos have mostly been the inspiration for my future :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0fhLasMogE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUl-4BPLgfQ
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I said atom couple pages back..
they are awesome would be ideal for what you want..
ashley

Post by ashley »

Watching with interest Phil, have a great time in the US :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Thank you sir :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Anyone interested in an update...? :whistle: :wink:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

You have my
Attention until I crash out :)

Return to “Member Profiles”