Opinions on this ICE setup?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Quaigy

Opinions on this ICE setup?

Post by Quaigy »

Hey I'm looking to upgrading my existing Sound system setup. I have a thin sub which is good for the kick (80hz ish) but cant really handle bass/low mid so I have spotted this setup...

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/au ... nd-system/

I have a 2 channel amp 250W max to power it. (May need a more powerful amp)

I was going to disconnect the existing speakers and mount the 5 inchers into the doors and the tweeters underneath the existing front speaker grills (with some cardboard supports)

This is my first real install so I would like some opinions on whether I'm going down the right lines. Also does anyone have any pictures of door speaker installs for the Mk1?

Thanx
ulysess1966

Doors

Post by ulysess1966 »

Installing into the doors will need a bit of creativity because there is almost no spare room in there. I saw one neat installation using very slimline speakers (very slim) a few years ago, but apparently those speakers cost an arm and a leg. Otherwise you will probably need to build something onto the door to house the speakers.
Quaigy

Re: Opinions on this ICE setup?

Post by Quaigy »

I've had a quick measure up and there is 3.5cm from the front of the door card to the back, I haven't taken the door cards off yet to see what room is behind them but I'll do that soon. I'm guessing I'll add another 1cm onto the door card for the mounting so I'm looking for 1.5cm or more behind the door card hopefully.
kevs aw11

Post by kevs aw11 »

Hi
just a idea is it possible to fit mk1a door cards to a mk1b which had speakers fitted
thanks kev
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

kevs aw11 wrote:Hi
just a idea is it possible to fit mk1a door cards to a mk1b which had speakers fitted
thanks kev

Mk1a never had speakers in doors, just a pair up front and a mini sub under the drivers seat.

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
kevs aw11

Post by kevs aw11 »

Hi
just found out the speakers were fitted to the round panel in the door card sorry for any misunderstanding
kev
Quaigy

Post by Quaigy »

I've just been out to measure up and found that there is a space about 5cm deep from the inner door skin to the window when it's down. Coupled with the 3.5cm from the door card to the front of the pocket there should be plenty of depth with some cutting of the inner door skin for width of the magnet.

I'm going to order up the speakers (and a few extra surprises :D ) and give it a go. I reckon building a small enclosure (probably out of card or spare bits of plastic) to surround the speaker and attached to the door card should tidy it up.
Quaigy

Post by Quaigy »

On another note I take it the lights behind the dash speedo and tach are the usual 5w capless? and therefore I should be able to get the LED cluster things to fit.

Before anyone shouts at me its a daily driver and would rather only take the dash apart once, searched on here and I know the warning lights are 501's but dunno about the main back light bulbs and the Big green book is rubbish to search through.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've made external door card speaker mounts for mine, i'll take some pictures when I get home.

I may even get rid of them complete with speakers as I doubt i'll be running a stereo in it.
Quaigy

Post by Quaigy »

Any pics would be greatly appreciated! I've bought some components, not the ones in the link, I bought JL Audio instead cause the postage was ridiculous on the other ones.
Quaigy

Post by Quaigy »

Any pics would be greatly appreciated! I've bought some components, not the ones in the link, I bought JL Audio instead cause the postage was ridiculous on the other ones.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Sorry i'll do it tomorrow morning.

Have been trying to sort out an electrical issue for the last few days.
Quaigy

Post by Quaigy »

I went ahead and made some up, square boxes made of plywood/cardboard/carpet that sit snuggly in the door cards. With only a little but of cutting of the door. They look alright and I still need to connect up the amp but head over to my mod thread to let me know what you think.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Mine are at the other end.
Quaigy

Post by Quaigy »

Yeah I figured that putting them forward would mean the seats wouldn't obstruct the projection and distort the stereo image. It also puts them at roughly the same distance from my ears as the tweeters for phase coherency... In saying all that I've not heard it yet cause I'm still waiting on a few things.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”