[Mk2] [Turbo] re-fitting rev3 gearbox, after fitting twin plate clutch.. having issues :/

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Turbo] re-fitting rev3 gearbox, after fitting twin plate clutch.. having issues :/

Post by RyanRs »

Ok.

So, today i did a job for a friend. Remove his old clutch and flywheel and replace with a exedy twin plate item. Removed the gearbox by method of removing the subframe first, pulling the n/s shaft and dropping the box out the bottom.

New flywheel and clutch is on however i did forget to grab a clutch plate alignment tool from halfrauds on the way up and by the time i thought of it, the shop was shut. So decided to use the socket alignment/ trained eye method which really did not seem to go so well. We spent an hour and half just trying to get be box back on, 4 attempts in total, got pretty good at getting the box jacked up and back down again when it wouldn't go on properly. Could literally get it so the box was level with the flywheel teeth but it would not go on that last half inch!! so frustrating.

It would seem the problem is purely the lack of an alignment tool however one thing that has got me worried that it may be something else is that we tried putting the box on with the clutch front plate still quite loose, so the plates could be moved quite easily with aid of a small bar (ie socket extension).. yet the box would still not go on..

Am i missing something? could something be aligned wrong or what not? or will i find that once i have used the correct alignment tool it will go on far easier?
Tbh, i have changed loads of clutches on loads of cars and never needed to use the tool. Even fitted my box with a os giken twin plate on my mr2 without one , however i had the engine on the floor with the flywheel upright so i could pick up the box and drop it on.

Any suggestions?
dawesy

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] re-fitting rev3 gearbox, after fitting twin plate clutch.. having issues :/

Post by dawesy »

it sounds like misaligned splines between the two plates, best to use a splined alignment tool or old input shaft to align them. a normal alignment tool wont work on twin plates.
depending where you are i have an input shaft here you can borrow but its very heavy so would be best collected
RyanRs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] re-fitting rev3 gearbox, after fitting twin plate clutch.. having issues :/

Post by RyanRs »

Thanks mate, yea I think that is probablythe issue, would explain why it would go in partially then get stuck. A normal alignment tool won't work will it as it doesn'taalign the splines.

Unfortunately Nottingham Is miles away from me, I'm in Kent. Damm. Thanks for the offer tho!

Has anyone local got an input shaft I can borrow?

Return to “Mechanical”