[Mk2] [Turbo] rev 2 or rev 3 what's the difference and how much can rev 2 take

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jamesmr21987

[Mk2] [Turbo] rev 2 or rev 3 what's the difference and how much can rev 2 take

Post by jamesmr21987 »

what can the rev 2 engine really handle is rev 3 part interchangeable to rev2 cheers
jasongtr

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev 2 or rev 3 what's the difference and how much can rev 2 take

Post by jasongtr »

weak points that i know of on the rev1/2 are

lack of metal head gasket as found on the rev3+
uses a mass airflow meter and not a map sensor setup

some say the rev2 turbo blocks are the stronger ones - others say they are not as they are weaker around the water pump (might be the oil pump :-k) area

all of the above are just things ive picked up on here.

if you wanted to swap over to a rev3 map sensor setup you will need the rev3 ecu, injectors, sensors, engine loom etc
jamesmr21987

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev 2 or rev 3 what's the difference and how much can rev 2 take

Post by jamesmr21987 »

thanks mate just wondering how far to go with my rev 2
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

head gasket 1st personally
jamesmr21987

Post by jamesmr21987 »

I have done that also blitz air filter xs power intercooler magnacore leads manifold blitz nur spec exhaust with d cat what else can I do I want it quite fast but not un reliable
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Be sensible when upping the boost and you'll be fine. Std rev2 ecu doesn't help compared to rev3 . What boost are you intending to run?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

jamesmr21987 wrote:I have done that also blitz air filter xs power intercooler magnacore leads manifold blitz nur spec exhaust with d cat what else can I do I want it quite fast but not un reliable

You need to fit lower compression pistons if you want it to be reliable and run more than stock boost.

Over here the engine is running on the knock sensor most of the time even with the best fuel so the ecu is backing off power lots of the time.

Just try some NOS octaine booster and see how well it goes then
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Piston change to increase the boost eh, heard it all now Bob.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

T.F.S. wrote:Piston change to increase the boost eh, heard it all now Bob.

As you do not have a clue how engines work, you could lean somthing here.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

bobhatton wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:Piston change to increase the boost eh, heard it all now Bob.

As you do not have a clue how engines work, you could lean somthing here.

Oh are you going to get someone to come and give you advice online?

I have been running my car for like the past 8 years with increased boost on a stock engine, its now running 22psi on a larger turbo and makes approx 350bhp, I think that says it all really Bob :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

any of this helping the OP?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Telling the guy he can't increase boost without changing pistons isn't really helping...As per usual I could choose my words with a little more tact but when someone is talking b0ll0cks how do you tell them that without offending them?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

seen all this arguing before between you two, and Bob didnt actually say you couldn't - he said if you wanted it reliable.

Im not going to bother getting involved as i dont know enough to comment, but my comment still stands that what seems like2x people scoring points off each other isnt helping the OP
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Well yea in other words it will break (be unreliable) if you dont fit low compression pistons which is fiction right?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Think you're missing the point, and your argument doesn't stand by what you've written.
Just because your car has lasted with uber power, doesn't mean you're right and Bob is wrong. You may just be lucky, some engine are stronger than others, that's the way it is.
Unless im missing something.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

But it's not just me though, loads of people have increased the boost over stock and not had a failure.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

You do not need lower compression pistons to up the boost on these engines with mild modifications. Many people have proved that even serious power can be produced with an unmodified bottom end!

You may know a lot about how engines work bob but remember not every engine is a F1 race engine. I am on track to make well over 600 bhp / 500 lbft at around 2.1 bar on 8.4:1 v-power.. and i will not be the first person to do that by far... Infact, find me anyone who has reduced compression lower than 8.0:1 for making big power!! ...if that isn't proof then i don't know what is?!

As for advice to the op... If you intend to go over 350 bhp then get a rev2 as you will need to change quite a lot of bits ie engine management, turbo, fuelling etc etc so theres no point in getting an uprated / more expensive 'rev3 onward ' to just have to remove all the parts that make it more expensive in the first place. However if you only intend to make ~ 350 bhp then get a rev 3/4/5 and fit a boost controller, decat, exhaust, air filter, FCD.. this will get you some good numbers.

Return to “Mechanical”