Suspension refresh

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Red Wedge

Suspension refresh

Post by Red Wedge »

I need to replace the coil springs as they were an advisory on the MOT, something I'm willing to buy new or good second hand.

The reason for starting this thread is one of (or possibly more) my shocks is on its way out. Now, am I better off buying a new set or can I get them rebuilt to save on cost?

I'm trying to avoid spending huge amounts on after market bits at the moment really so standard is the way forward.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Suspension refresh

Post by LimeyMk1 »

That's a tough one these days, first question would be what year is your Mk1?

Choices are KYB, Koni and Tokico shocks which come as inserts that go into the shock casings.

Unfortunately Koni no longer do the rear shocks for the early MK1s.

For springs I reckon the nearest you'll get to a stock ride is the Eibach springs, but they will lower the car. KYB do do 'stock' replacement springs but there have been issues with them.

I don't know if Toyota still do replacement springs and shocks but from what I recall they have stopped producing either the fronts or rears. :-k
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

It's an 88, E reg.

Could I have a set of springs shot blasted and re-coated to make them (semi) rust proof?

I see KYBs are the cheaper option compared to Konis, are Fensport the best for prices or am I better off hunting eBay?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Red Wedge wrote:It's an 88, E reg.

Could I have a set of springs shot blasted and re-coated to make them (semi) rust proof?

I see KYBs are the cheaper option compared to Konis, are Fensport the best for prices or am I better off hunting eBay?

For KYBs go to www.Buypartsby.co.uk they're the cheapest I've found. They are a fair bit more 'solid' than stock but with softer springs I found them pretty decent.

Yep you could get a set shot blasted and recoated.
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

Cheers for that. There are two different rear shock options, do you know what the differences are apart from a few quid?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

One's for the Mk1a (363046) the other for the Mk1b (365086). :thumleft:
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

Bah, trust the one I need to be the slightly more expensive option!
Toymad

Post by Toymad »

I got a pair of front shocks from Toyota for ~£120 or so, not exactly sure but I remember thinking it was a reasonable price. Standard of course but that's the what everything else in the suspension system has been designed for.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

Ive got a full set of apex springs only fitted for a short period and look perfect
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

ive just done the new kyb shocks and springs and yeah the shocks are good but the spring were a bit hard and made the ride height very high lol it looked like a range rover

got the kyb shocks with original springs but i need a full 4 wheel alighnment now to sort it out
jimi

Post by jimi »

Red Wedge wrote:I need to replace the coil springs as they were an advisory on the MOT.

You do know that an advisory is just that ? advisory, you won't fail on it unless it's an item that is a MOT failure IF and when it deteriorates .
Some of the items that they have to put down as an advisory are not MOT failures.
My sons Cinq had the same advisory (minor oil leak) every year for the 4 years he had it.
What did the advisory actually say about the springs ?
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

It says they're corroded. Probably don't need to replace them, just shot blast and paint but I do need new shocks.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

Red Wedge wrote:It says they're corroded. Probably don't need to replace them, just shot blast and paint but I do need new shocks.

my shocks were totally knackered and the only suspension was the springs
when I took them off ,I pushed the shock all the way in on all of them and they didnt rise at all ,I left one for a week and it was still stuck all the way in when i returned
best thing you'll do is put new shocks on ,but choose wisely ,my kyb's are ok but now I wish I'd spent more money ,and the wheel alightment needs attention all round now ,but the car doesnt bounce now like a pram lol

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”