[Mk2] [NA] need some info!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

largie009

[Mk2] [NA] need some info!!

Post by largie009 »

just looking for some general info on a few things really, wondering if anyone can help!
1. does anyone know how to correctly disable the srs light?(putting aftermarket steering wheel in)
2. does anyone know the part number for the boss kit i need(1998 uk na)
3. anyone done/know where to mount a 4 harness(pics would be ace)
4. best plan for mounting bucket seat
5. what brake pads are good for trackdays(struggling to find any that fit, lol)

think there was more but lets get this lot out the way 1st! :mrgreen:

any input is greatly appreciated :)
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [NA] need some info!!

Post by ashley »

largie009 wrote:just looking for some general info on a few things really, wondering if anyone can help!
1. does anyone know how to correctly disable the srs light?(putting aftermarket steering wheel in)

think there was more but lets get this lot out the way 1st! :mrgreen:

any input is greatly appreciated :)

Hi Mate

Try the search function- there's loads of info on here for the questions you're asking.

Off the top of my head:

Disable SRS light- I'm guessing the easist is to remove the bulb, but I've never played with SRS so can't say for sure

Part number for boss kit depends on brand you are looking at, if you have a search on the manufacturer's websites (eg Momo) they will list the bit you need.

4 Point harnes:
(i) lap belt, outside of car- use the stock seatbelt mounting point, an anchor bolt will go straight in.
(ii) lap belt, inside of car- I would recommend drilling a hole through the double skinned area of floor pan where the main floor and the fuel tank tunnel overlap, you'll need a re-inforcing plate. You can use the stud that sticks out from the fule tank tunnel, but having looked behind it I wouldn't recommend it- it is not that strong (and in it's stock function only serves to hold the plastic guide for the seat mounted belt point)
(iii) & (iv) shoulder straps- you will need to drill two holes behind your seat at shoulder level, and use two reinforcing plates on the engine side of the firewall. Make sure the mounts are level with the top of your shoulders, and please do not be tempted to mount these straps to the floor- they will not save you in an accident!

Brake pads: again- do a search, if you aren't too worried about dust and noise, then I highly recommend the Carbotech pads with stock disks and fully maintained stock calipers...hard to beat for braking power without spending a fortune, but the dust will wreck your alloys unless you clean your wheels every few days.

HTH :thumleft:
largie009

Post by largie009 »

couldnt find anything using the search function, (or am i just stupid?) :?

i could remove the bulb but then i would fail the mot! most cars you solder a resistor into the connector so the light shows on ignition, then goes out(as normal) but cant find info on the mr2!

think i found the right boss kit now!...hopefully :P

thought that might be the case with the harnesses.damn awkward job if you ask me! best dig the drill out the garage! ;)

want to go yellow stuff pads but they seem to be out of stock everywhere, just my luck!

thank you for the help though! :thumleft:
largie009

Post by largie009 »

just had a thought, would spreader plates be enough for the harness bolts or is the firewall/floor not strong enough???
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

largie009 wrote:1. does anyone know how to correctly disable the srs light?(putting aftermarket steering wheel in)

Don't forget to inform insurance company you've removed the airbag.
largie009

Post by largie009 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
largie009 wrote:1. does anyone know how to correctly disable the srs light?(putting aftermarket steering wheel in)

Don't forget to inform insurance company you've removed the airbag.

of course!! :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

largie009 wrote:just had a thought, would spreader plates be enough for the harness bolts or is the firewall/floor not strong enough???

You need reinforcing plates mate :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

largie009 wrote:

want to go yellow stuff pads but they seem to be out of stock everywhere, just my luck!

Keep clear of anything made by EBC, and as ashman says Carbotech pads with stock disks and fully maintained stock calipers or better still Portersfield pads
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
largie009

Post by largie009 »

ashman wrote:
largie009 wrote:just had a thought, would spreader plates be enough for the harness bolts or is the firewall/floor not strong enough???

You need reinforcing plates mate :thumleft:

hhmm thought i might, know if there are any topics on here were someone has done the same? Would be good to see a finished product!
largie009

Post by largie009 »

bobhatton wrote:
largie009 wrote:

Keep clear of anything made by EBC, and as ashman says Carbotech pads with stock disks and fully maintained stock calipers or better still Portersfield pads

noted! Ill have a look into those 2! Cheers!
RST

Post by RST »

• just looking for some general info on a few things really, wondering if anyone can help!

1, take bulb out, replace at MoT time and original wheel if yours had an airbag as std etc etc
2. demon tweeks stock MOMO bosses on the shelf, if you have a rev 1 then it's probably different from rev 2+, differences from rev 2+ afterwards if you want to preserve some functions -never had any problems with demon tweeks supplied bosses for the application whatever the car
3. Theory is out there
4. Can't comment, only ever fitted sports recliners
5. Whatever you do don't buiy EBC -I've found this out on a few cars now. Put your money into pads -Carbotech is the name. Had them before with stock discs, braided lines and uprated flud -nothing compares. They are WELL worth the money, I used to get mine from Rogue

Return to “Modifications”