Heavy Steering

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TNTom

Heavy Steering

Post by TNTom »

Hi all, newbie here, just picked up a mk2 rev2 turbo. Great car for a great price.
Anyway i've come from a mk1 mx5 and noticed the steering is a lot heavier on the mr2, I've checked up all the common problems with the relays getting stuck ect. The pump seems to be fine, and i don't have the p/s light illuminated constantly on the dash.
Are they generally that slight bit heavier, or am i looking at something that's not working correctly.
Johnr32

Re: Heavy Steering

Post by Johnr32 »

Its heavier compared to modern cars, in my previous car I could easily park with 1 finger on the steering wheel whereas on the 2 I struggled a bit.
Loque

Post by Loque »

It's reasonably meaty as far as it goes when compared to newer cars.

Check your tyre pressures. They make a vast difference to the weight of the steering.

28PSI w/spare wheel fitted, and a little lower if you're running without it.
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

not sure if it may be this but when i had my rev 2 i fitted an aftermarket steering wheel and boss and the power steering became somewhat heavier afterwards and i was told it was a common problem when changing the wheel
shrek

Post by shrek »

i am new to the MR2 and find it heavy when at slow speed but find it just right at road speeds. I dont like cars that have really light steering as i find the handling a bit skitty :wink:
TNTom

Post by TNTom »

alan_uk wrote:not sure if it may be this but when i had my rev 2 i fitted an aftermarket steering wheel and boss and the power steering became somewhat heavier afterwards and i was told it was a common problem when changing the wheel

This could be what it is, it has a stupid small momo steering wheel which im in the process of replacing! I'll check the Tyre pressures aswell.

Thanks chaps
Adam

Post by Adam »

old top mounts can cause heavy steering
TNTom

Post by TNTom »

Adam wrote:old top mounts can cause heavy steering

Top mounts are fine. its had new coilovers and bits recently as well.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”