[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine rebuild..... what to buy

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hmltnangel

[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine rebuild..... what to buy

Post by hmltnangel »

Hey folks,

The tubby is back on the road again :) It has made me think though that I woul dlike to build a more powerful engine for the car. After sp many engine changes, I feel I could handle rebuilding one now into a forged beast.

The rebuild will happen in the spare room so its nice and warm, so it will be done over the next few months and hopefully get fitted in AUgust(ish)

Question is, what will I need? I have the following items, and I will be looking to build something powerfulish to around 450-500bhp.

Rev 3 Block
Rev 3 Head
All ancillaries

The block I have was a spare one the guy gave me when I bought the engine that went in. It currently has a spun bearing which is why I will rebuild rather than sell. The head has no cams, but has been skimmed/chemical dipped etc.

I know I will need these items: But what ones? any recommendations? Not looking to increase displacement.

Forged Conrods
Forged Pistons
New crank/rod bearings all round
Cams
Cam Gears
Head Gasket
Water/Oil Pump
Head bolts

Is there anything I will need for fitting these items? Like piston rings etc etc or do the forged ones come fully ready to go in? Any neew tools I might need over and above what I used to change engines etc before?

Im guessing that the majority of ancillaries will be ol to go straight on? Such as
Alternator
Starter
Gearbox
All my hoses etc
Throttle bodies
Manifolds

I do have a Garrett GT2860RS at the moment but I would probably be right in guessing as well that it wouldnt be any use past 350bhp? If so then I will likely swap that for an Apexi Power FC as I was talking with a mate about that swap yesterday.

What Turbo would be recommended for that application then, coupled to a Blitz nurspec?

Just ideas swinging in my head just now so spologies if I missed something or said something daft
:thumleft:
calum4492

engine

Post by calum4492 »

im guessing ur going 2 have a go at doing it urself? u ever built a forged engine before? its alot of money for 1 little thing to go wrong
i can see ur in livingston, im in broxburn lol i could recommend an engine builder not to far away and they did a great job of mine if u wish?
jasongtr

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine rebuild..... what to buy

Post by jasongtr »

precisely why id never build my own engine, one small thing wrong and £000's down the drain

im no expert but ive read about people using a 2.2 bottom end to help reduce the lag (or did i imagine that),you would need to seriously upgrade the fueling too i would imagine
hmltnangel

Post by hmltnangel »

attention to detail is something im decent at so Im not too fussed about building it.

I would like to do it to be honest.

Fueling is a must - forgot to add that earlier (bang goes my "attention to detail" I mentioned earlier :wink: )

As I say its just ideas mulling in my head at the moment. Its really just for peoples experiences on what not to do and what i should do?
Marf

Post by Marf »

jasongtr wrote:precisely why id never build my own engine, one small thing wrong and £000's down the drain

It is bloody disheartening losing a freshly rebuilt engine, I built two engines for my Charade Turbo, the first killed the headgasket three times in the course of 4 months, then the big ends died driving home after fixing it the third time.

The second engine I built may as well have been built out of granite, took 4 years of abuse at 25psi and 9000RPM, still going strong now 5 years after I sold it :lol:

The first one was built by someone with no experience of the Charade three pot. The second was built by someone who had experience building both street and race versions of the engine.

So upshot is, pay the extra to have an experienced builder make your engine. Assuming you don't screw it up with mapping or bodgy dodgy tuning, there's no reason it should go pop.

Return to “Modifications”