What to do with my 2 next - sell or sort?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

munter

What to do with my 2 next - sell or sort?

Post by munter »

I'm now at almost a year of happy MR2 ownership. The car has been great. Used in all weathers and never once let me down, including a couple of long road trips. I've also really enjoyed the benefit of getting help from such a great bunch of people both here and on the other forums. It's made owning and working on the car a total delight.

Yesterday I gave the car a really good wash. The first decent one for a few months as the sun was shining and the temperature was above freezing. As I made my way around the car I noticed more and more little signs of rust appearing. Nothing too crazy, but rubbing back to metal and painting over is just like painting the forth rail bridge - I'd be doing it every year and I just dont have the time! The main culprits are the rear arches (strangely one has one particuarly bad spot of rust and the other is perfect!) and the front wings, but there are smalls spots in a number of places.

The car is due its MOT in a few weeks time so I'm going to wait until I have the outcome of that before deciding what to do. If I had the money (and it was a manual) I'd consider replacing the arches, putting fibre glass front wings on and having a full respray but it just seems over kill for what is a cheap car. For what that would cost I could sell and buy the nice Super Edition Supercharger thats still up for sale I think!

So just looking for ideas of what level people have taken their cars to in a cost effective way? I HATE the idea of watching the car rust to a slow death over the next few years and I know the more rust appears the less I will drive it.

My heart says keep spending the money, but my head says get a couple more good years out of it and then move on.

What should I do?
Last edited by munter on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Re: What to do with my 2 next - sell or sort?

Post by Ben »

If you're referring to the Super Edition, you're too late :wink:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
munter

Post by munter »

Oh well at least that isnt a distraction then ;-)

Congrats on your purchase though. Glad it found a good home and if you're ever selling...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Haha, yeah sorry about that! I have no intention of selling any time soon I'm afraid :)

In terms of yours, I guess see what the MOT throws up and take it from there. Welding and bodywork isn't *that* expensive if you know where to look... Really it depends on how attached to it you are. If you've got your heart set on a tidy manual, why not buy a solid Mk1 manual NA and swap the engine from yours? I'm assuming this is possible...
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
pistol pete

4age-4agze leads differences???

Post by pistol pete »

Have a set of magnecor leads I used on my 4age

Now my engine is not in use they are spare
Can they be used on the supercharger??
The leads I got were the kv85 race performance leads for turbocharged and supercharged and race cars etc

If not what's the difference between the 2 sets is one set longer,?
Thanks
Ben

Re: 4age-4agze leads differences???

Post by Ben »

pistol pete wrote:Have a set of magnecor leads I used on my 4age

The leads I got were the kv85 race performance leads for turbocharged and supercharged and race cars etc

Thanks

Guessing this was meant to be a new post? #-o

Previous:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Yeah i dislike seeing the arches rot, but normally i just coat the crap inside and out in wd40 over the winter, and then take a week off work during easter to sort and spray them ready for summer and over the winter. I did plan this year though to sack that off and make a carbon over fender (wider rivet on panel) instead. Im sure should it fail (lets hope not!) that if you decide to sell people will snap you'r hand off, and also if you break it parts WILL sell too.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Elliott_Knight

Post by Elliott_Knight »

I had the same dilemma with my car. I wondered if to keep it standard and keep down the mileage or if to enjoy the car until she has no more to give.
I've gone for the second option! I enjoy the car too much to worry about keeping miles down. I have decided to have the car how I want and just enjoy it.
She will need a bit of work in the spring but I personally don't mind working on the car and spending a little money as its all improvements and I take pride in my 1.
I stopped keeping track of how much I have spent lol but I don't regret it at all!!!!
pistol pete

Re: 4age-4agze leads differences???

Post by pistol pete »

benedwards64 wrote:
pistol pete wrote:Have a set of magnecor leads I used on my 4age

Thanks

Guessing this was meant to be a new post? #-o

](*,) ](*,) wondered where that post had gone ](*,)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”