Frozen windscreen... On the inside...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

synXero

Re: Frozen windscreen... On the inside...

Post by synXero »

Pingi bag went in today, immediately hidden behind passenger seat :lol:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Frozen windscreen outside...

Dry as a bone inside!! :D
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

You should see the logo on it change from blue to a pinky red - once it does that put it in the micowave in a bowl for about 5 mins to refresh it then pop it back in the car. If you keep one in the car all the time it helps minimise condensation on cold days :-)
synXero

Post by synXero »

JeffD wrote:You should see the logo on it change from blue to a pinky red - once it does that put it in the micowave in a bowl for about 5 mins to refresh it then pop it back in the car. If you keep one in the car all the time it helps minimise condensation on cold days :-)

It explains as much on the packet! Ta. Will investigate it periodically.
abovetherim

for window adjustment

Post by abovetherim »

Hi guys for those of you that asked about window adjustment

:thumleft:
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

i recently had to daily drive the mr2 lol and started it before i went for a shower/breakfast and 20 mins later it was awesomly warm - so just start it in advance and you'll be fine!
craig

Post by craig »

vishpish wrote:i recently had to daily drive the mr2 lol and started it before i went for a shower/breakfast and 20 mins later it was awesomly warm - so just start it in advance and you'll be fine!

You left a V6 converted MR2 with a Nur Spec idling for 20 mins? I bet your neighbours love you!! :lol: :lol:
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

Did have the bung in but yeah they love it lol ;)
sp00n

Post by sp00n »

back when the seal between my drivers t bar and door was leaking, i just stuck a dehumidifier in there overnight, was nice and warm in the morning :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

My pingu doesn't work for me. No different.

Don't understand though how all my cars old or new get really condensed up inside.
Nails

Post by Nails »

My pingu doesn't work for me. No different.

Don't understand though how all my cars old or new get really condensed up inside.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Moisture inside the car if your carpets wet it will steam up. Since fixing my window adjustment mines fine.New cars tend to steam up dueto bblocked cabin filters
Nails

Post by Nails »

I've had brand new cars do this. My mats and carpets are dry too. I always have the window open a crack when I'm in the car and rarely use the heaters.
DangerJim

Post by DangerJim »

Just for the record my tin top is the best car I've ever had for mist on the inside of the windows - it clears really quickly \:D/
synXero

Post by synXero »

A mixture of pingi and really thorough silicon sealing has done it for me, an the car is very usable! Another mr2 coping well story.

However my handbrake did freeze on this morning. Irritating. I chose to drive through it an eventually it warmed and resumed normal full function. Is this the correct thing to do?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

There are some rubber bellows where the handbrake cable exits the sheaving which split with age allowing water in which freezes the cable in place. Check its not this. I tried to find replacement bellows but couldnt find anything suitable so TBH only real solution is to replace the 2 rear cables which is a relatively easy job to do.

In the meantime if your expecting cold weather put the car in gear and leave the handbrake off.

BTW Also worth doing is to leave the lights in the popped up position so the motors dint get strained (that's what that setting is for)
JesterTiger

Post by JesterTiger »

A tip i have from Driving Old mini's is to pop to a local motorbike shop and get some Bob Heath Visor spray. it stops the screen misting up. doesn't stop it condensation as much but at least you can see to drive without waiting for it to demist or warm up. (my T-bar wasn't leaking when i got it. that was until a friend popped the roof out to show me how it works. now it leaks.. well did until i siliconed it)
Harold

Post by Harold »

My bit of tight full of rice is doing bu88er all against all the condensation, so my strategy has been to leave the car idling for 15 mins before work, toasty and dry then.
King M535i

Post by King M535i »

I have recently had a massive problem with water ingress in my T-Bar. The car was fine until a few weeks ago when it hoofed down with rain for two days solid and I virtually ended up with pond in the drivers side. The second night it got cold and then I had an in-car ice rink!
The next day it thawed and I set about it. I wanted to drain the car but couldn't find anyone with a hoover that could suck up water (and I didn't fancy blasting a hole in the floor pan, Top Gear style). Despite a friend's assurances a full day with his large de-humidifier inside did nothing.
What I did in the end was dug out all my raggy old towels (I knew they'd come in handy some day!), mopped up as much water as possible and then left two large beach towels rolled up on the floor, one in front of the drivers seat and one behind. I then removed the roof panels, cleaned and Vaseline'd all the roof and door seals and carefully but firmly re-fitted the panels. Next morning the towels were frozen stiff. I removed them and dumped them in the bath until they thawed, wrung them out hard and put them in the car for another night. The next morning they were barely damp and the carpet was near enough dry.
Water ingress/pond fixed! despite the entire interior being dry to the touch, I do now have a nasty interior misting/icing problem exactly as described before in this post. I'm going to give those Pingi bags a go and have a good look at that window adjusting guide as I don't think the drivers window seal is, erm, sealing properly.
By the way, thanks for the guide!
Nails

Post by Nails »

Took our lasses car to work today. 4 year old civic. Same thing tonight.steamy windows. Lol.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”