17" low profile vs 15" high profile

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

moscoworbust

17" low profile vs 15" high profile

Post by moscoworbust »

Hi,

I want to get some wheels for my Mk2 MR2 Turbo.

When i was 18 years old I had a MR2 GTS and fitted 17's with low profiles because I thought they looked cool.

Now i'm a little older and want the best for performance, i feel the 15's are better as you get more flex in the tyre to absorb bumps, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Tom
Marlowe

Re: 17" low profile vs 15" high profile

Post by Marlowe »

I fitted the standard 15"s to mine after selling off my 17" Kahns that came with the car.

The difference was night and day. If you're buying the car to drive rather than to pose, I'd recommend it every day. It turned a borderline undriveable MR2 (due to the combination of Tein coilovers and 17" wheels) into firm but fun.

The only issue with the standard wheels is availability of the rear tyres - you're pretty limited in availability these days on decent brands - that said I sourced Toyo T1Rs after some searching which I found to be excellent, and I noticed shortly after having them fitted that they became more widely available again.
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
synXero

Post by synXero »

moscoworbust

Post by moscoworbust »

well, It came with 15's and new tyres. I think I'll get some wheels, probably these:

http://www.alloywheels.com/6.5x15_Inch_ ... heels_Only

these are 6.5, hopefully i can find em in 7 and 8J

The car is lowered but there is a gap. I wish I could have a sensible tyre wall height and fill the gap nicely. Although a sensible amount of travel is as important to driveability as the right tyres.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Anything over a 16" wheel are for posing and not for handling. Even when i put some 15"on while i refurbed my 16" i could tell the difference.
Torero

Post by Torero »

I have standard rev 5 wheels and stock tyres/suspension and TBH the ride can still be a bit harsh on poor surfaces.

Don't forget this is a road going sports car (ideally) and it is much tighter and firmer than a regular one, so you'll still feel the harshness after a while if you run 15" and as for handling on 17s, well your on UK roads and not a race track as long as you have a decent tyrewall ratio you should be able to feel the feedback from the road progressively enough to respond to be safe and driveable.

Just my humble opinion but I wouldn't have an issue changing to 17" and I am not exactly in my teens. :D
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

It depends on alot of factors, but your correct in saying tyre profile is one of the primary factors. Poor quality and / or overly stiff springs plus poorly match / valved dampers (TBH most aftermarket kits are) will ruin ride quality and suspension performance as much as a change to lower profile tyres.

17" wheels tend to be heavier than 15 / 16" wheels, which again compromised damper performance. If you get a set of proper lightweight 17" wheels, and stay sensible with the profiles (45 is optimum, 40 is the limit, 35 is just too low IMO) then there's no reason they cannot perform just as well as a 15" wheel (given similar overall circumference).

I do agree 16" wheels are about the optimum for a road use car, as they tend to be available in staggered sizes, are as light as the standard wheels in many cases.

If you are running ~300bhp / 300 lb/ft then a wider rear tyre is beneficial for traction in most circumstances, and unfortunately many 16" wheels can only take up to a 245-section tyre (from a limited number of manufacturers). Depends what you using the car for.

For me, if I end up with another high power MR2, I'll be trying for a 16" front (215/45/16 or 225/45/16) and a 17" rear (255/40/17) which I think will provide a good balance between grip, compliance and unsprung weight.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i had a set of wedsport 15's on my old 300hp turbo and if it wasnt for the fact that getting rear tyres in stock mr2 sizes is very hard unless you go for a budget tyre or a track day tyre like a 888.

For the new one which is going to have a 2gr conversion i have opted for 17's - OZ superleggera, tyres are widely available and they are a decent lightweight wheel (not as light as the others i had) and i can run a big brake kit too.

Ive driven my mates mr2 (UK na car) with proxes on the back (std wheel size) and i have to say it felt awful, at the profile you get with the 15's the side wall is way too soft for my liking.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

The T1-Rs just need exactly the right amount of inflation to feel excellent.
As far as wheel size and suspension go you can leave either stock and play with the other to your hearts content... suspension for handling and looks or wheel size for just looks (OK then tyre choice too) but both at the expensive of comfort. If you modify both comfort escapes that much more quickly.

Mine certainly handles fabulously with primarily suspension mods but the ride is likewise certainly v harsh at town speeds. Although on 15's they're still aftermarket wheels (for the look) but the looks side is mainly catered for by the low ride height and old fashioned styling extensions (colour coding detailing on the bodywork and the spoiler, plate holder and aerial deleted amongst other tweeks).

Pick your priorities and styling aims and make your decisions accordingly.
A well tuned geo set up is as important to handling. To the OP... you've answered your own question. Enhance what you bought the car for and stay 15. If you must change go no larger than 16s and stay staggered if you can. Lightest you can afford.
If you want to help balance handling but stay on standard wheels consider going up a size on the front tyre to a 205/50/15 to reduce understeer a mite.

R
Last edited by HighwayStar on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

15s will limit your tyre choice to T1Rs and some Yoko/Toyo semi slicks. Other than that you're looking at bargain budget mid range passenger car tyres which I wouldnt put on an MR2

Go 16s, IMO having run 15,16 and 17 with decent tyres, 16 is the best compromise for looks, feel and handling. Also there are more tyre choices in a 16 than a 15

I'm running 16x7/8 with 205/50 and 225/45 AD08. Perfect wheel/tyre combo IMO :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”