[Mk2] [Turbo] putting my rev 2 turbo on a diet

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bigdave247

[Mk2] [Turbo] putting my rev 2 turbo on a diet

Post by bigdave247 »

hi guys been thinking about trying to reduce the weight off my car, but at the same time would like to keep the car balanced i.e removing the spare wheel can this affect the balance, anyway i am sure you all have plenty off ideas :mrgreen:[/b]
Johnr32

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] putting my rev 2 turbo on a diet

Post by Johnr32 »

Its all or nothing with weight reduction, if your not going to strip out every single sound deadening, carpet, door card, speakers, headunit etc then I wouldnt bother. Complete waste of time imo.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I'm halfway through stripping mine at the moment, an incident stopped me from going all the way in one fell swoop. Pretty much what the guy above said is true. The combined weight of everything i've removed so far is quite significant, however, one or two items on their own wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

One thing that a friend of mine has done is to strip out the inside, then cover any 'bare metal' with the material you put over speaker boxes. Stops it being too cold and looks a hell of a lot nicer, total weight for the roof, floors etc of her car being carpeted this way (Celica GT4) is far less than that of the standard bits. I'm thinking I'll do the same thing, to keep it at least a little presentable.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Stripped cars are for the track!

I hate them on the road!

If I was weight saving on a road car I'd start on wheels and brakes.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Skywalker wrote:Stripped cars are for the track!

I hate them on the road!

If I was weight saving on a road car I'd start on wheels and brakes.

I can't say it's all that much worse. I kept the stuff to one side so I could put it all back in if need be, but it's nowhere near as rattly or tin can-y as I'd heard people say it would be. If you strip back and cover once again, sans all the weighty parts, I can't see any real downside to it. :)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

bigdave247?

Is there a clue in your name as a place to start :D

Sorry just had to say that
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bigdave247

Post by bigdave247 »

thanks for that bob lol :) anyway the wheels and brakes sound good i was also thinking about lighter seats as well dont really want to strip everything out was just looking for replacement parts to lighten things up a bit really :)
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

add a CF hood up front + a light battery + remove the windshield washer + alloy rad + remove spare tire
weight save on mine

CF hood 17.5-5.5 =12kg
battery 14.7-9.8=4.9
sparetire + jack = 20.3kg
radiator weight save 0.8kg (only because 2 spals inlcuded)
emptied windshield washer and got 4liters

= 42kg weight saving on the front.

weight removing on the rear - no clue - i swaped to turbo and didnt compare the engine weights.

+ removed 2 balancers at the crossmember and engine mount.But might be using them again.

+ enkei wheels (weight saving noone when you compare to the small stocks)

+ Recaros (weight saving noone)

please keep in mind - you offblance your car.Better have adjustable swaybars or suspension to compensate it.Thats how i do it.
You can for example level your car different - go lower in the front to shift the weight and so on.

good luck.

PS:http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/weight.htm
ashley

Post by ashley »

That's one of the problems with weight saving in the MR2- it's so much easier to strip weight from the front end than the rear, but the back end is where you really need to lose the weight #-o

I'd say you might even be better off putting some weight back up front until you manage to lose some of your butt first :eye:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashman wrote:That's one of the problems with weight saving in the MR2- it's so much easier to strip weight from the front end than the rear, but the back end is where you really need to lose the weight #-o

I'd say you might even be better off putting some weight back up front until you manage to lose some of your butt first :eye:

Why would you want weight up front?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Turbonoz

Post by Turbonoz »

Wheelies :lol:
92 MR2 Turbo Rev2 stock engine, Link G3 TURBONOZ mapped, T78: 487bhp & 364lbft; 11.78@120. NOW BREAKING: www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1542658
94 GTiR: 12.08@115 TOTB Sold :(
92 300ZX: 12.6@113 (415bhp) 570bhp, 500lbft
00 Clio 172
05 WRX PPP
ashley

Post by ashley »

It's not that I'd "want" weight up front, but I would be nervous of seriously imbalancing the car by shifting even more of the weight bias towards the rear of the car...understeer-tastic, front end lift, etc etc

I'm sure I'm probably wrong though, that's just what I've gleaned from my own experiences on track is all...and we all know how subjective it can be trying to "feel" the differences that tweaks you have made yourself can be when driving.

Even with roll bar and camber tweaks I struggled to regain decent front end grip without having to compromise rear end grip, I put it down to not having enough weight at the front relative to the rear (and not being able to go past -3 degrees of -'ve camber with my set up).
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

yes but lets be honest..most of us have lowered cars with diferent values front and rear..
talk to the guys who drive on the track - ask them what they say to that regarding imbalancing a car :D - you say you drive on track yourself.So you sure know that too.But everyone makes his own experiences.
i ve read from cup porsches which lowered the rear 2 mm to get rid of oversteer at the Nürburgring.
iam just saying this front weight removing bad thing is overrated =;
i like the idea of removing weight and balance the car to compensate it.
With swaybars or suspension its possible to get it right if you know what youre doing.
iam at this issue right now - but i dont even think of adding weight somewhere.
i would love it if my car understeers..ever.Instead it oversteers - and on the MR2 thats not what i like that much.
Last edited by Daemonslayer on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ashman wrote:It's not that I'd "want" weight up front, but I would be nervous of seriously imbalancing the car by shifting even more of the weight bias towards the rear of the car...understeer-tastic, front end lift, etc etc

I'm sure I'm probably wrong though, that's just what I've gleaned from my own experiences on track is all...and we all know how subjective it can be trying to "feel" the differences that tweaks you have made yourself can be when driving.

Even with roll bar and camber tweaks I struggled to regain decent front end grip without having to compromise rear end grip, I put it down to not having enough weight at the front relative to the rear (and not being able to go past -3 degrees of -'ve camber with my set up).

You are going to have to come for a ride with Steve and myself in our cars, its all about the setup :D
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

ashman - beside my posting i feel what youre saying.
I once read an interview with the chiefdesigners of the integra.They said - whatever modification a tuner makes to the 96 integra - it has a great chance to imbalance the car.As the Honda engeneers put all their heart into a perfect balance of this car.

The problem is - our cars came with a truck-like suspension - and thats were we already start to set balance off/by diferent spring rates and damper characteristics.

a hard front spring can lead to understeer as can lowering weight.Not to talk of the TRD swaybars every 3rd MR2 seems to have 8-[
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sweet...sounds like I need to learn some new tricks- I'll be knocking on your doors for advice once my latest project is ready for the track :mrgreen:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

This is my setup

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=456271
and the group buy is now on

REV1 rear subframe
ST roll bars
8 x 16 front wheels with 225 tyres
10 x 16 rear wheels with 265 tyres

Its just like a go kart now
ashley

Post by ashley »

Cheers Bob, I've been toying with the idea of losing my 17 x 9's (255) at the rear and going to 16 x 10's, do need wide arches to fit or have you just rolled em out?

Not sure about switching to a rev 1 rear set up though :clown:

Are the ST roll bars stiffer than the usual whitelines / more adjustable etc?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

A REV 1 rear is the way to go. I changed everything from my rev1 to my rev2 but it was just unstable at the rear, fitted a rev 1 sub frame and it was great again.

Rev 1s are a better handling car, they got changed with the rev2 for poor drivers to be able to drive them.

I did roll my arches, about 2" to 3" and had to cut the support and inner arch then infill with metal. You should be able to see them on some of our photos and vids

St bars are stiff and adjustable.

Then there is my coil over setup, but no longer available

Return to “Modifications”