[Mk2] [Turbo] Rear suspension?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rs007

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rear suspension?

Post by rs007 »

Now I have got a lot of my high priority jobs done on my 2', I am looking at the other annoying stuff further down the list :lol:

Are there any known fail points / things to look at in the rear suspension? Likely culprits?

Going over bumpy stuff, I get a rattly clunking coming from the back, more so on the right and more so when that side is slighlty unloaded - on right hand turns. Sounds like its right at my back so I am wondering if anything in the tp mount area is known to fail regularly?

Could be anywhere in that area, I'm just saying where I think its coming from.

Just looking for an idea where to look first; I need to get its butt in the air and the wheels off to do the rear pads, so can check it all out then.

Any advice appreciated!
vinnyninja

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rear suspension?

Post by vinnyninja »

drop links .. check the ball joints and ... springs ... ARB bushes
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I seriously doubt the rear topmount has failed. It is in effect a solid block of rubber.

I would look for play in the lower balljoints, play in the spherical bearings of the rear toe control arm, and loose captive nuts within the subframe for the bolts for the lower arms/track control arms.

And ARB stuff as mentioned.
rs007

Post by rs007 »

Thanks guys, spot on!

I didn't think the top mount would be likely, its just that this is where I imagine the sound to be coming from; but we all know how sound can transmit through a shell.

My gut is saying drop links; I'll get the pads done and give it all a good once over from there :)
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

best bet is just to jack the car up and give the suspension arms/droplinks a good pull and you'll soon see what is worn/knocking.

my money would be on droplinks.

Return to “Mechanical”