G-Limited MOT Decat

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Zogbee

G-Limited MOT Decat

Post by Zogbee »

Quick question guys. I got my MOT today and have got a decat fitted. I've got a N/A rev 2 g limited. Will this be considered as a non cat test?

Also i've recently put a UK 3sge engine in. Would that make a difference? Should i tell them this?

Thanks
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: G-Limited MOT Decat

Post by Peter Gidden »

Zogbee wrote:Quick question guys. I got my MOT today and have got a decat fitted. I've got a N/A rev 2 g limited. Will this be considered as a non cat test?

Yes.

Zogbee wrote:Also i've recently put a UK 3sge engine in. Should i tell them this?

No.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Click on this flow chart and print a copy to take with you, it clearly shows why your car should have a non-cat emissions test.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Zogbee

Post by Zogbee »

Many thanks Peter :D

Ah good stuff will take that with me. Thanks.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Zogbee wrote:Many thanks Peter :D

No problem. Cat test is based on car year and origin (99% of cases will be same criteria as engine since will be original engine). Fit different engine and cat test should ( :-$ ) be based on age of different engine, not the age of car.
RST

Post by RST »

....over complicated.

Go to MoT station (with car or beforehand) with VIN.

Open book (sure the last one I had my hands on was A4 sized, green or dark blue cover).

Look up chassis code (SW20) and engine code (3SGE) then VIN on lists, -or something like that, I forget exactly.

VIN on list -say what book does, VIN not on list, do other basic test.

Takes about 3 mins tops to work out from walking in the door. Simples.
ryan

Post by ryan »

I thought as the car has a UK equivalent, it would be subject to a UK 3SGE MOT? unless its and early 3SGE without a cat?
Loque

Post by Loque »

Nic wrote:Click on this flow chart and print a copy to take with you, it clearly shows why your car should have a non-cat emissions test.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://imageshack.us/a/url560/9263/picture1nq.jpg[/URL]

Interesting potatoes. By this diagram my rev 3 does not need a cat test... by 34 days.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Zogbee wrote:Quick question guys. I got my MOT today and have got a decat fitted. I've got a N/A rev 2 g limited. Will this be considered as a non cat test?

Also i've recently put a UK 3sge engine in. Would that make a difference? Should i tell them this?

Because the car has a UK equivalent, it will be treated exactly the same as a UK car. The loophole mentioned above with the MOT diagram is only relevant to turbo cars as they do not have a UK equivalent.

So if your car was manufactured after 1st August 1992 then it's a cat test for you...
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Zogbee wrote:Many thanks Peter :D

No problem. Cat test is based on car year and origin (99% of cases will be same criteria as engine since will be original engine). Fit different engine and cat test should ( :-$ ) be based on age of different engine, not the age of car.

MOT is actually based on whichever is older - engine or chassis.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”