Custom Dials

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chloke83

Custom Dials

Post by Chloke83 »

Over the next week or so i will be looking into making some custom dials for the car as mine have chunks out of them where they had obviously been removed in the past. #-o

I was wondering if anyone has attempted this before and what was the material that was used for the dials themselves.

I have searched around on the web and can generally only find Corsa numptys using paper that has been laminated. ](*,)

I am looking for something that would be transparent enough to have the backlights shine through when the lights are on.
craig

Re: Custom Dials

Post by craig »

There's a clock template on here you could use :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

Cheers, I have a template but was wondering if there was any material that works out better than paper?

May go look in Hobbycraft or somewhere at the weekend.
craig

Post by craig »

Chloke83 wrote:

Cheers, I have a template but was wondering if there was any material that works out better than paper?

May go look in Hobbycraft or somewhere at the weekend.

Years and years ago, I tried printing those templates on paper and laminating them etc. Looked crap and looked like moons in the car :lol:

I guess anything you use, is just gonna light up the whole face :-k
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

clear acetate should work
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

plasticard also works :)
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

Hmmm....i think it is going to be a case of trying different types. Could be interesting yet infuriating at the same time.

Also i will likely need to take into account what quality the printing/design is like on each type of surface. This could be a bit of a mine field. ](*,)

Oh well i have set down this course so will stay on it. :thumleft:
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

alan_uk wrote:plasticard also works :)

The only way of printing onto plasticard seems to be screen printing which would mean finding a print shop and getting them to do it.

It is something i am trying to produce at home so will try for other types of paper/card/plastic.

Shame though as Plasticard is pretty much the style and consistency that i want, will likely revisit and go the printshop route if nothing else works. :thumleft:
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

thats what i did with my old dials a place called gt graphics downloaded the stencil printed it out took it to them they made the dials up to my spec and all in cost me £12 :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”