[Mk2] [Turbo] Fluctuating idle and stalling? Duderstadt in the morning. Help!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Turbo Dragon

[Mk2] [Turbo] Fluctuating idle and stalling? Duderstadt in the morning. Help!

Post by Turbo Dragon »

Ok, been getting car ready for Duderstadt. Im leaving tomorrow and tonigt i have been having a few issues.

When iv been stuck in crawling traffic a few times tonight the revs have started dropping and rising again to the point it has stalled 4 times at low speed.

I have checked the engine codes and ECU light doesn't flash so there isn't anything there, but i have been having to hold my foot on the throttle to keep it from cutting out at the lights.

Got home and left it slowly rising and falling and then all of a sudden it settled down again and idled normally.

Its done this a couple of times over the last few days.

Any thoughts on what i can check? Help appreciated! :pray:
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fluctuating idle and stalling? Duderstadt in the morning. Help!

Post by raptor95GTS »

bit late in replying I know, the usual suspects apply in loose or cracked air pipes either vacuum or boost. I had something similar a few yrs back but it just fixed itself ( i dont remember actually fixing it) so gawd knows what it was but it (touch wood) hasn't come back since.

Hope you got it fixed and are on your way :thumleft:
Turbo Dragon

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fluctuating idle and stalling? Duderstadt in the morning. Help!

Post by Turbo Dragon »

Sadly not, got back from Dudes (took my Honda) and it is still not happy.

Going to leave her on the naughty step and have a think about this one.....

Thanks for the advice, anymore places to look please keep them coming!
Turbo Dragon

Post by Turbo Dragon »

Ok, started to look at my car again and problem has not miraculously fixed itself.

Other than split hose, is there anything else worth checking?

I have had throttle bodies off and they seem clean.

Can AFM be checked/diagnosed?

Other thoughts?

Cheers

Si 8)
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Have you checked for any error codes? When you cleaned the throttle body,did you clean the Idle Control Valve underneath that too?

Cheers.

Michael.
Turbo Dragon

Post by Turbo Dragon »

msherry21 wrote:Have you checked for any error codes? When you cleaned the throttle body,did you clean the Idle Control Valve underneath that too?

Cheers.

Michael.

Yep there are no error codes stored. I haven't cleaned the throttle body.

I just checked it was clean and shiny, it was taken off for a compression test by Rogue less than 6 months ago so I would be suprised if it was in poor condition.

Is it possible to diagnose/bench test an AFM?

The Power FC shows the injector duty runing fine, so I don't think its s fuelling issue. Also as it starts fine and idles fine when cold and the revs are being artificially held higher.....
Turbo Dragon

Post by Turbo Dragon »

Thought I'd finish this thread off incase future souls come searching.

Turns out it was the AFM, Rogue kindly shipped me another and it sorted it all out.

Idles fine now :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

result!

Return to “Mechanical”