List of parts for engine change

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

List of parts for engine change

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Clutch - ordered from fensport
Cambelt - ordered from camskill

Oil & coolant - Halfords - do on day
Oil Filter - Toyota - to be collected

My mind has gone blank and i'm reusing the exhaust manifold gasket and flywheel bolts.

Anything else let me know.
pk_090

Re: List of parts for engine change

Post by pk_090 »

Not sure what state the engine is in Alex but plugs might have to go on the list, might be worth changing the gearbox oil and maybe the linkage bushes while it's all accessible!
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Crush washers from Toyota for the cam covers if you have the covers off.

If you're swopping water pumps over, make sure you get the water pump O ring where it bolts onto the front of the block.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

brake & clutch fluid
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

All fluids will be purchased from Halfords which'll be a five min drive up road armed with a trade card too for extra discounts.

Will take the plugs out of my current engine as they are only 3 months old - thanks for reminding me Alex!

Cam covers will not be coming off, but thanks Lauren - I do have some spare ones anyway.

Water pump staying where it is.

Alternator belt I do need though!!
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

There's very little that you *need* but a few things that it's useful to replace whilst the engine is out simply because it's easier.

You've already mentioned the cambelt, whilst the belt is off it's often worth looking into the belt tensioner and water pump, particularly if the engine is an unknown quantity.

If your thermostat is old then now might be a good time to replace it whilst the coolant is drained and the pipework is readily accessible.

Technically various gaskets and seals should be replaced whenever they are disturbed but most of the time you can get away with reusing them. One which springs to mind that hasn't been mentioned is the copper crush washers for the oil cooler fittings although personally I reuse them it's a matter of how thorough you feel like being.

Although Kevin mentioned clutch fluid I personally don't break into the clutch hydraulic circuit when dropping the engine. I find that unclipping the shift cables from the bracket at the gearbox end gives sufficent movement to allow you to hang the bracket out of the way with the hose to the slave cylinder still connected. Having said that, if the slave cylinder is showing any sign of leaking (a common fault) then it might be worth swapping it out whilst everything is in bits.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

kaiowas wrote:There's very little that you *need* but a few things that it's useful to replace whilst the engine is out simply because it's easier.

You've already mentioned the cambelt, whilst the belt is off it's often worth looking into the belt tensioner and water pump, particularly if the engine is an unknown quantity.

If your thermostat is old then now might be a good time to replace it whilst the coolant is drained and the pipework is readily accessible.

Technically various gaskets and seals should be replaced whenever they are disturbed but most of the time you can get away with reusing them. One which springs to mind that hasn't been mentioned is the copper crush washers for the oil cooler fittings although personally I reuse them it's a matter of how thorough you feel like being.

Although Kevin mentioned clutch fluid I personally don't break into the clutch hydraulic circuit when dropping the engine. I find that unclipping the shift cables from the bracket at the gearbox end gives sufficent movement to allow you to hang the bracket out of the way with the hose to the slave cylinder still connected. Having said that, if the slave cylinder is showing any sign of leaking (a common fault) then it might be worth swapping it out whilst everything is in bits.

Thanks Kaiowas,

The engine is a fully reconned unit done by API and has only covered a few thousand mile so I have no reason to believe the water pump should be changed.

The exhaust manifold gasket will be reused as that'll have to come off.

I already told my mate we're pinching the 3 month old thermostat and the housing off of my old engine and plumbing that into new one.

We've got a box of copper washers for various bits and pieces :thumleft:

Probably going to do clutch fluid anyway as it's due a change. Brake fluid was done 2 weeks ago and have got loads left over.

Gearbox oil will be purchased too.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I drove the MR2 this morning - I feel that I could love it once again.

The exhaust is mega quiet at idle but sounds very nice when on the throttle.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

you will be doing well if you can re use the exhaust manifold gasket, i'd get a new one for what they cost, its a PITA to have to re do a blowing one next week
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Certainly the circular ones between the front pipe and manifold, once crushed they will always leak when re-used.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I'm currently not running any on the manifold to downpipe as I didn't have any when I last put the downpipe on but will get some this time.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:I'm currently not running any on the manifold to downpipe as I didn't have any when I last put the downpipe on but will get some this time.

Alex get them from Toyota, also as they are only about £1.50 plus vat each, where as I have seen them on ebay for £3 each (non toyota)

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

hiya Chris,

Yeah I've seen them on eBay as well as a lot of other stuff that people seem to put on there for twice as much - really does get on my goat.

I'll get some from Mister T when I pick up my oil filter.

Has anyone got the part number for the Gaskets? :oops:

Work is to start at 11am Friday morning :thumleft:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:I drove the MR2 this morning - I feel that I could love it once again.

The exhaust is mega quiet at idle but sounds very nice when on the throttle.

Seems to me that Janspeed are crazy not to pack their systems Alex

(Although it saves them quite a bit of dosh of course)

You know now what a difference packing makes

The exhaust will be just as efficient & lovely & quiet

I speak as one who HATES noisy exhausts (boy racer stuff)

Much less likely to get a pull ffrom BiB
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

kevin..in wrote:you will be doing well if you can re use the exhaust manifold gasket, i'd get a new one for what they cost, its a PITA to have to re do a blowing one next week

On my car (same gasket) I've had the manifold on and off at least 5 times, would have thought it fine to re-use it, though it's crap to get to on an MR2.

I would replace the rings for the downpipe, however. :+:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Lauren wrote:
kevin..in wrote:you will be doing well if you can re use the exhaust manifold gasket, i'd get a new one for what they cost, its a PITA to have to re do a blowing one next week

On my car (same gasket) I've had the manifold on and off at least 5 times, would have thought it fine to re-use it, though it's crap to get to on an MR2.

I would replace the rings for the downpipe, however. :+:

well for the price of a new gasket i wouldn't want to be stuck on a weekend and not be able to finish the job (isn't this the reason for the OP anyway?)
gasket part nos. are
manifold 17173-16011
rings 90917-06039
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Fair play, Kevin. Just saying I've had mine on and off at least 5 times without issue. My manifold is a lot easier to get at however.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Lauren wrote:Fair play, Kevin. Just saying I've had mine on and off at least 5 times without issue. My manifold is a lot easier to get at however.

your engine is back to front innit :whistle:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

kevin..in wrote:your engine is back to front innit :whistle:

LOL!

The 4AGE was designed for my car, so I don't think it could be back to front. :tongue:

/touche!
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Lauren wrote:
kevin..in wrote:your engine is back to front innit :whistle:

LOL!

The 4AGE was designed for my car, so I don't think it could be back to front. :tongue:

/touche!

well yours being the RWD version means its still like the AW11 a lash up just sidways on, the engine/drive train was meant for the FWD Corolla GT
I was only being flippant Lauren! I know soooo unlike me :whistle:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”