Emissions again

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt77

Emissions again

Post by matt77 »

I love MOT time. Please help diagnose my emissions problem...

Failed due to 6.3% CO, 145ppm HC and 0.843 Lambda. Previous results were more like 0.2% CO and other values similarly low so there is clearly a problem.

My cat warning light has been on, but would a failed cat make such high readings given that this car should be able to pass without a cat at all? Could the cat warning light be caused by the O2 sensor failing?

I am overdue for new plugs and dizzy cap/rotor so will be changing them in the next few days, I doubt they would cause these readings though...

I have tested the voltage between E1 and Tf1 in the diag port and get 0.04v when cold, 2.5-3.5v when warm. It was pitch black out when I did this and I'm not sure if it was fluctuating.

Sometimes boost is limited to just over half but I had put this down to the low air temps lately - performance otherwise seems fine. There are no fault codes stored.

I am going to try to diagnose the O2 sensor using http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/MkII_O2_Sensor.html tomorrow.

I can't afford to go replacing bits that don't need doing so any further advice would be appreciated...
Baker

Re: Emissions again

Post by Baker »

first things first, what car do you have?
matt77

Post by matt77 »

Sorry, I meant to put that in somewhere :)

1993 Rev2 Turbo \:D/

The o2 sensor voltage doesn't fluctuate btw. Checked it again today and I was getting 3.5v at idle and dropped to less than 0.1v when engine speed increased past a certain point. I was on my own though so still haven't done the proper diagnostic procedure.
Baker

Post by Baker »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... hlight=mot

This will help you pass the mot in the meantime while you search for the culprit.
Effectively Unclip the pipe.
matt77

Post by matt77 »

Thanks, I would try that but since I don't have emissions testing equipment at home I have no way of knowing what does and doesn't work!
A friend of a friend runs a garage so perhaps I can get some time on a tester before and after removing the pipe...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”