An electrical whining sound

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shane34
Premium Member

An electrical whining sound

Post by shane34 »

Hi

I seem to have a strange sound, its electrical and gets louder with more revs, would this be something to do with the alternator? Any ideas would be a big help.

Will this effect the ECU in any way putting it into safe mode if this was alternator?

Rev 3 turbo.

Also posted in the wrong area can i move or do i need a mod to do so cheers.
Odin_S

Re: An electrical whining sound

Post by Odin_S »

Basically means your alternator is dying. Soon you will get the 3 lights on your dash.

Do you have a volt gauge? (i know turbos dont have one as standard)
When mine went this summer, it was staying at 13amp going lower until i accelerated hard. Started creeping down when waiting at the lights.

Source a new one asap if yours is doing that
garry goodall

Post by garry goodall »

How do you know that it is electrical?

Just saying as an increase in engine speed will cause increased noise if a bearing is on its way out.

To check that the alternator is charging correctly you will need a voltmeter across the terminals of the battery, turn the car on and check the charging voltage, this should be arround 13.9v - 15.1v if you have just switched on and 13.9v - 14.3v when the battery is fully charged and the car has been running for a while, the voltages shouldnt change as you rev the car up (they will slightly possibly 0.2v or so), if they dont show the values I would say the regulator in the alternator has gone and will need replacing.
Mr2 Rev3 Turbo
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Cheers guys, the car had been siting for a while so i had no charge in the battery. I took for a 30mins drive yesterday, tried to start this morning no life in the battery what so ever. not even enough show power on the dash.

It sounded like it was electrical mainly due to it sounding like it was coming through the speakers ( might no of been) i guess it was more like an interference sound rather then a mechanical

Ive ordered a alternator hope this will fix.
garry goodall

Post by garry goodall »

i wouldnt go shedding out on a new alternater just yet, could just be a bad earth that mate, do you have a amplifier ext, these can cause noise if not earthed correctly,, speaker cables ran with power cables or bad connections.
Mr2 Rev3 Turbo
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Yeah i checked what you said seems as tho i was getting a good charge. ive replaced the battery as it was holding no charge.

No whining sound now so im happy :D

i guess the battery had somthing wrong with it hence the sound/ or that the alternator was charging but nothing to charge.
cheers for your imput.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”