reverse over my car then drive off! Thanks.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattymr2

reverse over my car then drive off! Thanks.

Post by mattymr2 »

So the next door neighbour is currently having his house renivated as it hadnt been lived in for a while and got water damaged from a burst water pipe.

Over the weekend i moved my car off the drive to repaint the front of the house. it was parked on the grass opposite the drive well out of the way.

Anyway at some point over the weekend a van or lorry has come to drop off some supplies next door and as they have reversed off the next doors drive theyv'e managed to go over the front of my car.

From the position of the car its quite obvious the only way it would of happened is when a long vehicle has reversed off next doors drive.
The bonnet had rusty scrape marks from looks like the metal part of a trailer and inside the cracks of the front bumper is black plastic from a bumper or plastic light surround.

Ive just paid £300 to have this genuine toms bumper proffessionally repainted. ](*,)

The neighbour is currently on holiday but back friday and i will be speaking to him. Unfortunately no one saw it happen.

Any one got any advise as to how is best to approach this??
SonicSW20

Re: reverse over my car then drive off! Thanks.

Post by SonicSW20 »

Without any witnesses, or a shred of proof of who did it, theres nothing you can do really. :pale:
KerryN

Post by KerryN »

i would contact the police initially and report it.. then you can see what your neighbour has to say, but would be surprised if they covered the damage! Unless they are a very very nice neighbour.

There must be a record or something of what or who has delivered to the house. Hope it gets sorted for you.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

poor show really...I would deffo point it out to your neighbour, obv not their fault but someone has to be held accountable for the damage and you need them on your side, old bill won't give a $hit3...I don't think "leaving the scene of an accident" is applicable when on private ground.
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

other side of the arguement - the driver of the offending vehicle might not have even noticed that his rusty , heavy laden dieselly tractor noise maker actually *bumped* something

bummer tho
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Contact the neighbours indeed, then contact (or visit) the delivery company.
Good chance there's still paint scratches or anything on the van/lorry.

That would be a nice point of proof.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Had the exact thing happen to me mate.

We have a card factory next to our house and constantly people are either blocking my driveway when dropping or picking things up.

This one particular night a lorry was blocking my drive so i parked behind it and thought sod going to get them to move it as i aint got the energy to argue.

2 hours later i go out to use my car only to find it has got similar damage to yours where the rear metal bar at the base of the lorry door had gone over my bumper and punchered a hole in the bumper and scraps etc! :evil:

Saw some tyre marks where the truck had reversed onto the pavement towards my car so knew it was the xxxx of a truck driver.

Spoke to the manager at the factory who told rang the truck company up straight away and told them that i had seen the truck do the damage (which i hadnt).

He said if i tell them that i didnt see it happen then they wouldn't pay out. So what im trying to say is that if your 99.9% sure it was the truck that went to your neighbor then maybe w white lie in this scenario aint out of the question. :-$
craig

Post by craig »

mattymr2 wrote:So the next door neighbour is currently having his house renivated as it hadnt been lived in for a while and got water damaged from a burst water pipe.

Over the weekend i moved my car off the drive to repaint the front of the house. it was parked on the grass opposite the drive well out of the way.

Anyway at some point over the weekend a van or lorry has come to drop off some supplies next door and as they have reversed off the next doors drive theyv'e managed to go over the front of my car.

From the position of the car its quite obvious the only way it would of happened is when a long vehicle has reversed off next doors drive.
The bonnet had rusty scrape marks from looks like the metal part of a trailer and inside the cracks of the front bumper is black plastic from a bumper or plastic light surround.

Ive just paid £300 to have this genuine toms bumper proffessionally repainted. ](*,)
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk23 ... 310539.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk23 ... 310541.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk23 ... 310540.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk23 ... 310537.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk23 ... 310538.jpg

The neighbour is currently on holiday but back friday and i will be speaking to him. Unfortunately no one saw it happen.

Any one got any advise as to how is best to approach this??

Gutted for you mate, all I can suggest is do some detective work. Speak to neighbours, company who own the van etc.

Maybe seek advice from the police?

All the best with it fella.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

fizz wrote:Had the exact thing happen to me mate.

We have a card factory next to our house and constantly people are either blocking my driveway when dropping or picking things up.

This one particular night a lorry was blocking my drive so i parked behind it and thought sod going to get them to move it as i aint got the energy to argue.

2 hours later i go out to use my car only to find it has got similar damage to yours where the rear metal bar at the base of the lorry door had gone over my bumper and punchered a hole in the bumper and scraps etc! :evil:

Saw some tyre marks where the truck had reversed onto the pavement towards my car so knew it was the xxxx of a truck driver.

Spoke to the manager at the factory who told rang the truck company up straight away and told them that i had seen the truck do the damage (which i hadnt).

He said if i tell them that i didnt see it happen then they wouldn't pay out. So what im trying to say is that if your 99.9% sure it was the truck that went to your neighbor then maybe w white lie in this scenario aint out of the question. :-$

This is the only way they are going to pay out.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Sorry to hear about your woes.
I had the flip side of this happen to me yesterday that reminded me there are honest people around.
I had parked on the terrace street at my sisters and when i came back to my car i found a note on the windscreen appologising for the damage/scuff to my rear bumper (i approached the car from the front and hadn't seen it) with a phone number to call. So i called it and the woman came out of her house a few doors up. Now she was willing to do what ever to cover the damage either thro insurance or cash. Now i had fitted this bumper and it was one of 3 yellows that the car is painted and i have some yellow paint that i did the front bumper in so i agreed with her that i would repair myself is she donated £50 to my justgiving site (justgiving.com/Jan-Olsson). I felt that she deserved a break for her honesty.
Don't get me wrong, i think you will have a hard time getting money out of the delivery guy but worth the try as he may be just as honest :-k
fizz

Post by fizz »

abovetherim wrote:
Don't get me wrong, i think you will have a hard time getting money out of the delivery guy but worth the try as he may be just as honest :-k

Not a chance. If it is a delivery truck then the driver will most likely be an employee to a company and as such wont be willing to admit anything.

In my case the owner of the delivery company that hit my MR2 slipped and told me that their excess for things like this is £500 and as such were willing to pay cash to keep costs down for them.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Without proof it's a lose lose situation.
Just rotten luck matey.

:(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”