Replacement windscreens

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Harold

Replacement windscreens

Post by Harold »

Hello chaps,

Has anyone had a replacement screen on their turbo? Did the glass company have to source the correct screen from Toyota (bronze tint and am aerial)?

I would quite like a new one as I'm pretty sure mine is the original and it's covered in thousands of tiny hairline scratches which reduces visibility a lot when the sun shines on them.

Cheers.
cosmos

Windscreen

Post by cosmos »

Later Turbo models had the green tint like the UK models the aerial though could be a no no in the UK i guess.
jules70

Re: Replacement windscreens

Post by jules70 »

Dont know how deep the scratches are. But managed to polish out some wiper scratches on mrs car ( toyota carina) with one of those cheap kits on e-bay. I know you say thousands - so just a thought, if you have time to spare !
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

Got a bronze tinted one from Autoglass for mine. Mine's a gts without the aerial though so that wasn't an issue for me.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

Got an OEM screen, bronze tint with AM aerial, with Norwich union with standard windscreen excess.

Make sure they supply the adhesive 'dam' and the proper weatherstrip. I was told it came in a kit with the glass...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Yes, I had a few in my old Mk2 GT. All had to come from Toyota ( cost ~5 years ago was £500ish ! ) so they were the correct tint and contained the AM aerial.

One without the aerial was a lot cheaper ISTR around £200.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Thanks for the replies chaps, most helpful. I don't think a polish will help matters as the whole screen is covered in tiny micro scratches and tiny chips, most of the time it's fine, but when the sun shines on it they all show up and it looks terrible.
nick200

Post by nick200 »

Got a turbo one recently done by Autoglass, was an oem toyota one.

They didnt have any problems with cost or sourcing.

I did say i wasnt bothered about the am aerial, just the tint colour but they said NO, it has to be an exact replacment.
Torero

Post by Torero »

nick200 wrote:Got a turbo one recently done by Autoglass, was an oem toyota one.

They didnt have any problems with cost or sourcing.

I did say i wasnt bothered about the am aerial, just the tint colour but they said NO, it has to be an exact replacment.

The policy for all windscreen replacement companies is 'like for like'. A friend of mine had his damaged when driving in France about 6 months after he had bought it. As it was on the continent and an emergency they fitted what was available, a new screen with a tint - I can't recall the model but the original UK one was clear.

When it cracked 5 years later Autoglass wouldn't replace it with the clear one they had turned up with, he had to wait another 2 days for a tinted one which cost £500 and he was told it had to be replaced with the same one. So it is correct.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”