modding 4age.... 150bhp?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

elbon50

Re: modding 4age.... 150bhp?

Post by elbon50 »

tonigmr2 wrote:Well it was mainly seats and carpets and sound deadener, trunk and front I was thinking of. But I admit I had 'track car' in my head rather than daily driver!

Carpets and sound deadener are more chunky than you think...8kg each side on my MK1! Yes 16kg of carpet and black tar!

Obviously the major gain is buckets over stock seats though.

The class I run in at the mo specifies fully trimmed seats

I have other cars. I do use my MR on the road as well as track but not really what I'd call a daily driver

cartledge_uk wrote: And wheels! the stock wheels are very heavy.

I have a set of Compomotive split rims with mag centres. 4 1/4" PCD

Should be able to get 100 MM centres I suppose

Peter
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

elbon50 wrote:

That very unusual. Usually even the standard roadgoing classes allow you to fit a proper race seat as it is viewed as a safety improvement.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

kaiowas wrote:
elbon50 wrote:

That very unusual. Usually even the standard roadgoing classes allow you to fit a proper race seat as it is viewed as a safety improvement.

I agree!
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

cartledge_uk wrote:
kaiowas wrote:
elbon50 wrote:

I agree!

Yes its a pity really

This is a quote from the SRs. "In the interests of safety the front seats may be replaced by a fully trimmed competition version, not just a bare shell"

Perhaps I'm interpreting that too rigidly ?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Sounds to me like a proper bucket seat would be perfectly acceptable?

(worth doing, stock seats = 30kg, race seats = 10kg or less).
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

tonigmr2 wrote:Sounds to me like a proper bucket seat would be perfectly acceptable?

Yes. This is the drivers seat. Supportive but not really any lighter in weight than the original

Passenger seat is still the original

So could save 40 kilos

Peter
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I actually thought the OEM drivers seat was around 12kgs.

The only way you would save weight on the seat Peter is to have a GRP/Carbon bucket.

But, you've started with a t-bar which is heavier than a sunroof model.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just to add, i don't actually believe the 3s-gte is the only engine worth fitting to a Mk1, that really wasn't the point i was trying to make. As far as an actual conversion goes then the 1mz V6 or 2zz-ge make better options for me, much as i love a well sorted 1.5.

All i'm saying is it's a bottomless pit trying to extract reliable power from a 4a-ge, and i'm well into trying the same thing myself, but i could have had twice the torque throughout more of the rev range and with factory reliability for the same cost going V6 etc. I don't know any 4a-ge owners that have spent less than £1500 and had more than a 25-30bhp gain. I doubt i'll see much more BHP gain myself spending a similar amount, but as Lauren says that isn't really the point.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of tuning a 4a, brilliant little engines with a lot to offer, but go into it with your eyes (and wallet) well and truly open.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sorry Paul, I wasn't saying the 3SGTE is the only option, I know there are others.

I guess my point is that there are people who are quite happy with a little bit more power than standard without seeing the need to pursue big horsepower figures. I guess I'm one of them. I'm fortunate though as my car came with mild mods such as cams, manifold, ECU and at least an AE92 bottom end.

I also think that mild tuning a 4AGE is good for longetivity and reliability. It does seem to be the case on here though that hardly anyone cams an engine up and does these kind of mods. Not the case on many other forums/clubs that have the 4AGE as their base.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Very true, for some unknown reason not many people tune them in Mr2's but in other Toyotas they spend thousands on them, that remains a mystery to me.

Hopefully i'll see more than 150bhp from my own 4a project and it maintains a good level of reliability, it's certainly costing enough!
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

yeah i know insurance unfortunately is the killer, means i have to wait a few years for my compound charged mk1 :( ive done the maths and yes mega hp is possible from a 4age in my mind its just going to be expensive and also with the help of a few blowers...
Back to reality, sky quotes me 1400 to insure my mk1 with me quoting numerous mods that i want to do to the car, i did ask for cams but no TB's or aftermarket ECU but then i suppose they can wait to go on when i am old....er... :mrgreen:
I dont know what duration the TRD cams are, i havent taken the delivery of the tein coilovers or trd cams or thorottlebodies, they are in a mates shed at the moment, but then i suppose come time for me to pick them up it will be like christmas day for a 8 year old "its just what ive always wanted :lol: ".
When you piggyback the ECU im ussuming this tricks the standard ECU with digits of what the sensors should be reading but actually arn't? How much do these kind of systems cost and would it be more worthwhile actually getting an aftermarket ecu in the long run?
Alex
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Have to say haven't seen TRD cams before, my money is they are HKS. Reason being is I had TRD pistons in a TRD box but when you look underneath they have HKS printed on them, LOL!

Don't think TRD made any engine parts apart from head gaskets! Then I suspect they are HKS as well!

Only other cams I've seen for the 4age from Japan are Tomei. Possibility I suppose.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

havent seen them yet. He says they are TRD bits that came off a m1 race car, im not complaining at cheap bits by any means!
vashy

Post by vashy »

Lauren wrote:...I'll be very happy indeed if it makes 140bhp. We shall see!

I made 133bhp with 264/256 cams, stock timing gears, stock everything else including the tunnel-through-the-boot intake. Oh and a magnex exhaust, which, judging from JAE last weekend, is somewhat quiet! So probably quite restrictive.

Getting the cam timing right has made about as much difference as the cams originally did, again.

So I think you'll make 140 easily Lauren! I will be very interested to see.

Also Paul, very interested to see how your bolt on SC and US ECU/loom (is that right?) turn out!

more (cheap) experimental tuning coming soon btw...
. . 6 . 7 . 8
5 . . . . i . . 9
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

elbon50 wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:Sounds to me like a proper bucket seat would be perfectly acceptable?

Yes. This is the drivers seat. Supportive but not really any lighter in weight than the original

So could save 40 kilos

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z46 ... R2seat.jpg

Peter

You still have the sound deadening on the rear firewall, that can come off :thumleft:

Did you take it off the floor too?
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

cartledge_uk wrote:
elbon50 wrote:

So could save 40 kilos

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z46 ... R2seat.jpg

Peter

You still have the sound deadening on the rear firewall, that can come off :thumleft:

Did you take it off the floor too?

Havn't taken any of it it off yet but will do before next season

Peter
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

tonigmr2 wrote:Have to say haven't seen TRD cams before, my money is they are HKS. Reason being is I had TRD pistons in a TRD box but when you look underneath they have HKS printed on them, LOL!

Don't think TRD made any engine parts apart from head gaskets! Then I suspect they are HKS as well!

TRD made a fair few engine parts, most however are discontinued:

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_engine-4a-g16.html

Also as far as Alex is concerned he must know the spec of whatever cams he picks up, though it should be stamped on them.
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

elbon50 wrote:

So could save 40 kilos

Peter

Just checked my notes,

the standard seats weight 17.5 kgs each, my seats weighed 7kgs each that i put in..

In addition the bitumen around footwells and firewall is 8.5-9kgs and the mass dampers below each seat weigh 1kg each

I then put a roll cage in and cancelled the lot out!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Lauren wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:Have to say haven't seen TRD cams before, my money is they are HKS. Reason being is I had TRD pistons in a TRD box but when you look underneath they have HKS printed on them, LOL!

TRD made a fair few engine parts, most however are discontinued:

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_engine-4a-g16.html

Also as far as Alex is concerned he must know the spec of whatever cams he picks up, though it should be stamped on them.

Forgot about valves, I do have TRD OS valves in my engine. #-o
But anything else in TRD boxes was a lot of rebranded HKS. :wink:
It'll be printed on them. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”