[Mk2] [NA] cooling fluid leak.... but only when i stop the car.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Enneaitch

[Mk2] [NA] cooling fluid leak.... but only when i stop the car.

Post by Enneaitch »

Hi guys after my engine swap i filled fluid and followed the step by step to bleed system.

i was happy enough to drive to fife from glasgow as a test run everything was ok except just as i was about to stop temp was verging on max just under... for about two mins then stopped.

Fluid seemed to be coming from the headertank overflow pipe and draining onto the floor so left to cool and refilled and re bled drove about for 20-30 mins and no problems with temp sat half way.

no probs with the HG as no oil/water mixture and all is fine, so drove home to glasgow, no problems so drove to work this morning, glasgow to paisley and no problems there... but on the drive home no differences in tem pon the guage but when i pulled up at home water was leaking out of the overflow again and temp in the engine bay seemed hot.

i checked yesterday and all fans kick in... front ones only for a few secs.. and engine bay one when sitting and heats up for a while...

any ideas?

ive topped up and rebled the sysem again so should be ok for work tomorrow. but need this to be reliable as a daily. so any help is great!!!

Nick
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [NA] cooling fluid leak.... but only when i stop the car.

Post by ashley »

Sounds like you've got an airlock....how are you bleeding it?

Did you use a new thermostat?
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

As per a guide... Engine off attach bleed hoses to front two bleed pipes, turn heater to hot, have them suspended from the bonnet catch and open, while getting bubbles keep topping up the fluid making sure not to allow the fluid filler to go dry...

That's about it really.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

filler cap at 1 click, pipes as you say, heater turned to hot, start engine, open rad bleeder then heater bleeder...the level never seems to quite match up when I do mine...have you changed your thermostat recently, maybe worth a look, mine had come apart and was permenantly blocking one hole (poss causing localised boiling) but always open aswell.
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

Ok so drove to work and home today and nothing.... Maybe I got the air out last night. I had it sitting on my drive with the bum slightly in the air when bleeding maybe that helped... I'll keep an eye on it!

Return to “Mechanical”