[Mk2] [Turbo] Wheel weights falling into my calipers

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

baz8755

[Mk2] [Turbo] Wheel weights falling into my calipers

Post by baz8755 »

This morning whilst reversing my car out of the garage I heard a loud bang, I immediately thought I had hit something. A quick check around the car revealed nothing had occured.

As I drove down the road I could hear a grinding noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel so I went back home.

A quick inspection revealed nothing, however I later found 2 wheel weights at the exact point where the rear wheel would have been when the bang occured (one even had small nick in it). Checking the wheel reveals that it should have been a strip of 4 weights so I guessing the weights are lodged somewhere around the disc/caliper.

I only had the tyres fitted a couple of hundred miles ago and wonder if I have any comeback on the fitter if any damage has resulted from the weights falling where they shouldn't?
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wheel weights falling into my calipers

Post by raptor95GTS »

The weights must have moved since they'd have hit the caliper on first rotation if they'd been fitted wrong. A couple of pics might help folks see what's gone on. Can you hear the grinding if you jack the car up and rotate the wheel by hand?
baz8755

Post by baz8755 »

All sorted, kinda.

Removed wheel and spotted the offending weights through the pad inspection hole, the were wedged between the edge of the disc and the caliper. Removed caliper and weights fell out.

Now need to go back to tyre fitter and make sure the fit the weights properly.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

that's a shot in a million getting stuck in there!
baz8755

Post by baz8755 »

Tell me about it.

It looks like overnight the weights were at the top of the wheel and the sticky strip started to peel away from the wheel leaving a few weights dangling. When I reversed out they must have managed to rub on the disc and get drawn into the caliper.

As you say, the chances of that happening ;)

Return to “Mechanical”