[Mk2] [Generic] engine removal... step by step.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Enneaitch

[Mk2] [Generic] engine removal... step by step.

Post by Enneaitch »

tried a search or two but cant find any guides to removal of 3sge engine.

ive picked up donor and im needing to take one out and put another back in... any help appreciated.

Nick
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] engine removal... step by step.

Post by ashley »

While car is on it's wheels:
- unplug battery from car loom
- unplug loom from ECU in boot, pass all leads through rear firewall and into engine bay
- unplug main 12v feed to rear fuse box (two small nuts hold it in)
- seperate the main engine loom portion of the fuse box (it slides up and out) so that engine loom is free of chassis
- unplug king lead, and plugs to all the electronic boxes on the rear fire wall
- remove airbox assembly
- undo fuel lines
- remove 12v feed from starter motor
- undo main earth on drivers side of engine (goes from cylinder head to driver's side suspension turret)
- remove diagnostic port from rear firewall
- unplug engine bay fan
- generally undo anything else electronic I've forgotten to mention that goes between engine and chassis!
- loosen exhasut manifold nuts, but leave a couple on there to hold it in place (need to remove heatshield first)

Car up and on axle stands:
- remove underbody plastic covers
- drain coolant by undoing the two bolts on the large pipes under the body
- drain engine oil
- drain gearbox oil
- take off wheels
- undo trailing links from chassis
- unbolt rear tie rods from hubs
- unbolt lower arm from rear subframe
- unbolt ARB drop links from ARB
- unbolt exhaust mid section from exhaust manifold
- unbolt rear subframe (4 long bolts, and 3 going into rear engine mount) and lower by 2 -3 inches
- undo ARB bushes so ARB is separate to rear subframe
- unbolt exhaust midsection from rear subframe, and unplug lamda sensor from engine loom
- remove rear subframe
- remove exhaust
- remove rear ARB
- remove two drive shafts from gearbox, and swing them forwards and sideways, tie to chassis to leave room to drop engine (worth covering splines with plastic bags to keep clean)
- remove exhaust manifold (to give yourself more space)
- undo gearlinkages from gearbox
- remove front gearbox mount
- undo clutch slave cylinder from gearbox, I then cable tie this to the chassis to keep it out of the way

The engine/ gearbox should now look pretty clear to remove from chassis- renmove anything else connecting it you can see that I've forgotten- for example the water pipes (except the final two engine mounts on either side of the engine bay)!

Now I tend to drop the engine onto a pallet using a crane through the engine bay, so take the weight and then undo the two engine mounts.

Then I lift the body with the crane so it's clear of the engine and there's roon to drag the engine out from under it. This normally causes a clearance issue with the front bumper hitting the floor- so you may want to remove the front bumper first, but with my car I don't tend to bother as the bumper's far from mint anyway!

Off the top of my head that's it- I'm sure I've probably forgotten stuff, like remove the engine lid, rear inspection panels and rear boot lid first!

To be honest it's pretty straight forwards, you'll see what you need to do as you go along :thumleft:
Last edited by ashley on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irish_dan

Post by irish_dan »

Great advice from ashman. Here's a great link to a website with quite a few different how to's. I'm using it myself to remove my engine and strip it.

How To's
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

Ash man your a star think ill follow your step by step.

Got two mates possibly coming round tomorrow, for a mammoth engine swap session tomorrow. lol. so fingers crossed ill see how far i get.

how long in theory should it take? give or take those bolts that dont want to come off!!!

Nick
ashley

Post by ashley »

I've had a bit of practice now, last time took me ~4 hours on my own to drop the engine, and a day to get the new one ready and installed (again on my own), but every thing has been apart a few times now, cleaned / fixed, and threads copper greased as appropriate...

I reckon with help, a bit of mechanical knowledge, and time to deal with the inevitable 'issues' you'll come across (rusted bolts, snapped studs, etc etc), you should have the engine on the floor in a day...good luck :thumleft:
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

aye lol... well believe it or not i and kinda mechanically minded, so i should hae a good idea once we get going. so ill see how far we get. maybe have two of us workingon getting my engine out and another preps the new negine and gets that ready to drop. vice versa..

cheers again.
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

right made into a note on my phone... so i dont need to keep running in the house lol.. wicked wish me luck.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Forgot to mention you'll need to take the throttle cable off :thumleft:
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

cheersa ash, i sent you a pm hit a few snags today... almost got my scrap engine removed.

and 10% of the wirring removed from the new engine.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Hey matey- hope you don't mind, I've stuck your PM on here- might help someone in the future, let me know if that's a problem and I'll delete it for you :thumleft:

Enneaitch wrote:Hey man, i hit a few snags today..

1. droplinks are gubbed so couldnt remove those. so cut through them ill need to replace them.

2. The drive shafts... how do i remove them do they just pop out? or do i need to remove any clips or anything?

3. and engine mounts what the easiest way to remove them as some of the mounts are inaccessible.

thats where i got to today my mate came round with a engine hoist so i have the car on axle stands. and im going to brace the engine while i loosen the engine mounts and drop through the car onto a dolly...

any help? pics etc?

cheers again man.

1. Drop links- not unusual, I did the same on mine the first time I tried to get them out!

2. The drive shafts need a bit of persuasion to get them out, whatever you do don't pull them- you'll damage the cv joints.
The drivers side you can get a piece of wood under the gearbox and against it to tap it out. Something like this :lol:

The passenger side you need to remove the little shield above the shaft where it exits the box, two small bolts hold it on. I then used a drive shaft removal tool, basically a two pronged metal wedge that you tap between the shaft and the gear box.

3. Engine mounts: I assume you mean the two on either side of the car, by the suspension turrets?
Passenger side: un bolt the plate above it, including the brace to the top of the gear box, then tilt this up towards the side of the car.
You should be able to see the engine mount bush from above now...simply remove the large bolt that runs from front to back through the middle of the bush, from memory it has not got a captive nut on it, so you'll need a spanner at the back.
Driver's side: unbolt the three nuts that hold the top plate, and remove the plate. Now you have a choice- you can go under the car and remove the two nuts that hold the engine brace to the mount (you'll need a deep dish socket), or you can remove the long bolt that runs through the rubber mount from front to rear (this one does have a captive nut on it).
I think I removed the long bolt, but I may have done both...sorry can't remember: it's one that you have to have in front of you to decide the best way forwards :eye:

Hope that helps :thumleft:
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

Ash thats wicked man.... Thanks alot what you have said is pretty much what i had planned to do with the engine mounts.

As for the drive shafts i had attempted to use a cold chisel on either side of the shaft... but wasnt hitting with any purpose!

so thankyou very much for your help! ill prop do an hour or twos work tomorrow. and ill let you know how i get on!
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

see in your pic above have you dropped the subframe?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Enneaitch wrote:see in your pic above have you dropped the subframe?

Yep :thumleft:
Enneaitch

Post by Enneaitch »

its out lol!!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

donor car is almost ready for the same treatment will be doing that tomorrow. once ive got the last few bits off.

is there any reason why i can just plug a rev1 engine into my rev2? i notice when taking the engine out of the rev1 it has a mechanical take off for the speedo...

so does that mean ihave to swap the speedo connections from the rev2? are there anything else i would need to remove and swap. air con? any help appreciated again!!

cheers!

Return to “Mechanical”