[Mk2] [Turbo] leaky charge cooler core...how to repair?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

djpkins

[Mk2] [Turbo] leaky charge cooler core...how to repair?

Post by djpkins »

the leak is inside the box but I'm a bit unsure where to cut an inspection hole. It makes sense to me, that it should be a reversal of construction untill the problem is evident...I really don't want to make more work be nicking something close to the outer face, behind the green shaded area for instance but I thought removing that whole panel outlined in red would show enough of the inside to see if it's repairable or needs a new rad...suggestions.
darcy

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] leaky charge cooler core...how to repair?

Post by darcy »

IMHO you will cut into the air-core if you cut the face highlighted.

Looks like the water is contained top and bottom according to your picture.
there are three segments on the top face, two on the bottom, so my guess is water flows from the water inlet pipe, to the bottom face, to the middle of the top face, back to the bottom face, and then to the water exit pipe (which I presume is hidden behind your hand or the 90 bend.

It is a big gamble but IMHO I would cut the middle section out of the top face.

Is this a PACE or RADTEC core? mine looks identical...
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

Thats a radtec core.... Get in touch with rogue motorsport they can sort it.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

This is what I imagine to look like inside...how hard can it be, it's only a funny shaped radiator...half the guys on here have taken out engine internals and the like, the grinder comes out today.
I know this is a Rogue jobbie matey...thats why I'm gonna fix it myself...I should imagine it would cost quite a bit to send it off to them and get them to repair it.
Even if I end up with a bunch of plates, my mate could knock up another...he's the shop floor dude at a pukka welding company :thumleft:
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

I'd still phone em see what they say... U never know u may be able to get in done on warranty...????... Just a thought...
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Doubtfull...it wasn't a year old when it started leaking but it came from my friends car, so it would be rather cheecky to try and get it done under cover of the warranty...besides, the whole car tuning thing, for me, is more enjoyable if you get stuck in yourself...and I'm dying to know what it looks like in there, I couldn't find any printouts or stuff about how it's made and these are quite expensive so I bet no-one has chopped one up before...apart from the Rogue guys of course.
I'm going to carefully cut away under guidance of the welder and see what is revealed....pics to follow.

Return to “Modifications”