Stupid Question Time

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Re: Stupid Question Time

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've parted with £60 and £84 for pattern part clutches, one lasted 25k and the other 35k and disintegrated in spectacular fashion.

I just want to buy a clutch that is going to last a few years.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Just get an OEM one then. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Lauren wrote:

It's an absolute urban myth that's it's a copy of the BDA. Sure stroke and bore may be the same and it's got twin cams and 16v's but that's about it.

Edit: didn't see Jimi's post.

BDA manifolds fit the Yam designed head without modification, so I'm reliably informed

Peter
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Still doesn't make it a BDA copy.
jimi

Post by jimi »

AW10 used a 3A-LU which I believe was all Toyota designed.
Toyota and Yamaha have a long history of collaboration on engines, starting with the Toyota 2000GT in the 1960's and among others the 4A-GE (including the Formula Atlantic engines), 3S-GE/GTE and 2ZZ-GE, 1LR-GUE (ISF/LFA) and probably a lot more that I'm not aware of
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Well I'm much better informed now. Thank you all :)

I like to drag such issues out into the daylight

I apologize, seem to have hi-jacked Super Red's thread

You just want a reliable clutch then SR, not a high performance engine ?

In that case is ali flywheel the best move I wonder ?

Peter
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Turned out not to be such a silly question after all then.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The flywheel is being purchased for a direct replacement for my mullered existing one.

I dont want a high performance engine as this is my daily driver - If I did id buy an Evo or a Supra :thumleft:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

As I see it, a light flywheel is a performance mod

Will allow the engine to rev more freely, thus stressing the clutch even more

What is supposedly wrong with your current flywheel ?

Why not have it balanced, together with a new genuine Toyota clutch ?

Or get another standard one & have it & the new clutch balanced ready before you start to remove the g'box

Peter
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

My flywheel has been described as the grand canyon, due to my stupidity in my earlier years of dropping the clutch and I had been told ages ago that a lightened flywheel was one of the best mods you can get, so that is why.

My engine has been fully rebuilt by Rogue Motorsport so I thought I'd compliment the engine with a lightened flywheel. I am also getting a good discount from Twosrus which is helping out two fellow members.

I'm not interested in a standard clutch as I am fed up of the car breaking down in shitty weather and having to take the car apart in the freezing cold weather. I'd rather buy a good one and not have to worry for a few years. I am now suffering from torn neck ligaments which makes working on the car in that area even more painful.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

But back to my original question, I'll probably get the flywheel balanced and thanks for everyones advice!
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

I'm not interested in a standard clutch as I am fed up of the car breaking down in shitty weather and having to take the car apart in the freezing cold weather. I'd rather buy a good one and not have to worry for a few years. I am now suffering from torn neck ligaments which makes working on the car in that area even more painful.

Yes its not a small job to change the clutch on a Mk1. I changed my g'box last year so I know a bit about that

This is certainly a better time of year to do the job than in a bitter cold Winter like the last one

Good luck with it

Peter
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

Be careful what you buy because paddle clutches and the like will make daily driving in traffic a real PITA.

An OEM clutch is good. A pattern one is not so good. You get what you pay for.

Exedy clutch kit:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT- ... 3876wt_921
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Thats 200mm Lauren, I have found that exedy dont do many clutches for the mk1b
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

Lauren wrote:
SuperRedMR2 wrote:

Be careful what you buy because paddle clutches and the like will make daily driving in traffic a real PITA.

An OEM clutch is good. A pattern one is not so good. You get what you pay for.

Exedy clutch kit:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT- ... 3876wt_921

I doubt that clutch is made by Exedy. The majority of 'road spec' clutches are identical, the company buys them in in bulk and puts their name on them. You are paying extra for the name. This means that quality can vary hugely batch to batch and you're no better off than buying the cheap one from the motor factors!
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

AdamP wrote:

I doubt that clutch is made by Exedy. The majority of 'road spec' clutches are identical, the company buys them in in bulk and puts their name on them. You are paying extra for the name. This means that quality can vary hugely batch to batch and you're no better off than buying the cheap one from the motor factors!

Exedy used to make them for everyone else :wink:

I'd personally go for an uprated organic, not an OEM. should feel the same and last longer.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Cheers Tim
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Your best bet is to ring exedy and ask for the uprated organic, they will then tell youn a supplier, they wont be cheap.

Take note that a lot of the organic ones for sale are not the uprated organic.

I think the part numbers you want are (my records are old so please double check them first):

cover: TC03T
uorated organic disc: TD03H
bearing: BRG441

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”