[Mk2] [Turbo] rev 3 turbo 300bhp wanted

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2targa

[Mk2] [Turbo] rev 3 turbo 300bhp wanted

Post by mr2targa »

i have a rev 3 turbo with the following mods and am looking for 300 hp
need to know what may be required
currently have a hks intake, mongoose system and a gredy intercooler and hard pipes on order?
looking for some pointers
dbiagioni

300bhp

Post by dbiagioni »

Depends how well the car is running and how well it has been maintained. If its a healthy one those mods with an ebc or mbc set @ 1.2 bar + decat should do it fwhp. :thumleft:
mr2targa

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev 3 turbo 300bhp wanted

Post by mr2targa »

well only got 68,000 mile on the clock maintained regardless of cost ex imoc car all sound and running well.
looking for 300hp and reliable?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

power fc mapped by somebody sensible mate...and as said, you could achieve that with a hike in boost...if you want a reliable and safe car that you can run everyday without worries, I would personally stay around 280bhp with what you have or get a mappable ecu and get it mapped to your car, I have seen people selling Power FC's with "300bhp ready to go...plug and play..." not the case, it needs to be tuned to your car.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

You can get 300hp with the mods you have, just turn the boost up and retard the timing to 8 deg btdc
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

bob, how does retarding timing increase bhp? what are the sideaffects of doing this?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

It does not give more power, it helps to stop blowing the engine up
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

u mean like mine just did lol. i will look into why and how :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I know why and how.

Just tell me what you want from the engine and I can tell you what you need when you rebuild it
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

eventualy 500 bhp, i am starting build tomorow my forgies and acls are taking so long to get here! guessing i need a better turbo than my ct20b, charge cooler, rev3 convertion , 3" exhsust straight through, better ecu and many more parts :-k

hoping standard con rods and crank are good for this?
Marf

Post by Marf »

You said 400 in the other thread!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I can tell you now the pistons will be wrong, you cannot just get off the shelve pistons, they have to be designed for the engine and are one of the last things that will be sized after the full engine design has been completed.
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

Marf wrote:You said 400 in the other thread!

this summer but potentualy i wood like 500 max :thumleft:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

bob, so what is the max i can ask from my wosner pistons safley? wosner did say if i design pistons they would make them for me but i think that is way off yet :-k
Marf

Post by Marf »

swaggansway wrote:
Marf wrote:You said 400 in the other thread!

this summer but potentualy i wood like 500 max :thumleft:

OK, so you should have said that from the start then, you need to spec your engine for your final power goal, not yuor interim goals. That is unless you have some kind of fetish where you get off on rebuilding engines :lol:
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

funny u should say that i love stripping engins lol

but yes i realy should make this the the last time as it has kicked a massive hole in my bank account :(
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

I have changed my mind op. DON'T TURN YOUR BOOST UP. take your car to a pro and get them to do it. you don't know how much has been taken of head or face in past therefore your compression could be, well anything!!! I just don't want you having a accident like me! there are so many factors and such that need to be taken into consideration and every engine is different. :-k
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Bob - surely increasing the boost 'slightly' but advancing the ignition slightly would be better than increasing the boost 'more' and retarding the ignition? It might produce less torque this way but the gains would be more wide spread over the rev range?

Return to “Modifications”