[Mk2] [Turbo] Compression test results

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Compression test results

Post by Bo »

is 15bar (or 217 psi) ok? got this number on all cylinders. or the meter is faulty.
rev3 turbo with wiseco pistons and stock MLS gasket..
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

That's quite high, will be some serious compression ratio... but the important thing really is that they are all the same across the 4 cylinders.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

Thinking of doing a compression test on my tubby soon. What's the best procedure?
Thanks
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Brian at T.F.S very kndly compression tested my rev2 last week...more or less 195...200's across the board. This was done on a warm engine with throttle held open, efi fuse disabled and 5 cranks...I thought I might be getting excessive oil blowing out of the crankcase breather, so I hooked up a catch can for the journey and went for a comp test...no oil whatsoever in the catch can but the turbo IS blowing fresh oil even though the shaft doesn't have any in/out play in it at all...enough to leak out of the throttle body assembly and slightly pool on the rockerbox support bracket...with a thin 5-30 oil in it...the bov would blow oil vapour out and coat the engine bay...well that bit of it.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

toxo wrote:That's quite high, will be some serious compression ratio... but the important thing really is that they are all the same across the 4 cylinders.

compression ratio has nothing to do with compression TBH

all the 3S-GTE have been quite high at around 195, 217 is very high but was this with oil dropped into the cylinder?

Return to “Mechanical”