Heavy steering.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aw11rally

Re: Heavy steering.

Post by aw11rally »

Lauren wrote:
'pointy-oversteering monster'

Sounds perfect.
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

WRT wobbling at a certain speed; I've had this problem on a two before, cogboy managed to fix it (almost completely) by taking the wheels and discs off and cleaning the mounting face/flange. A mucky flange can lead to poor mating and a wobbly wheel.

Also double check your nuts, it is possible to get the wheel or disc not quite central on the hub especially with aftermarket rims or brakes.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Well check the nuts in the morning.
Last edited by Grendel on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Lauren wrote:What did you get the geo setup to, just out of interest?

If you run parallel toe and less toe-in on the rear, it will feel much more pointy and less stable, but you do get used to it. But your steering should not feel heavy. I remember a friend of mine driving my old SC round Spa and called it a 'pointy-oversteering monster' (Alan Head)!

The steering to the right seemed heavier than left ever since the poly bushes where put in. But I do have a knackered right shoulder so that doesn’t really help. Also it seems to track along any gully or dents in the road which it didn’t before.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

I fitted poly bushes a month or two ago, together with new ball joints and tie rods. Steering was incredibly heavy at first.

Got a 4wheel alignment, still was a bit heavy. Drove it fast over some bumpy back roads for 100km and it's ok now.

Maybe they just need to settle in. Did you replace the tie rods? Maybe one of them knackered.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Excessive caster would cause heavier steering and is very easily applied when fitting poly bushes.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

BIGBOBO wrote:I fitted poly bushes a month or two ago, together with new ball joints and tie rods. Steering was incredibly heavy at first.

Got a 4wheel alignment, still was a bit heavy. Drove it fast over some bumpy back roads for 100km and it's ok now.

Maybe they just need to settle in. Did you replace the tie rods? Maybe one of them knackered.

Are the tie rods the same as Drop Links?
If so no I didn’t but must admit they have stopped rattling since the poly bushes where fitted but that could be since I can’t hear them over the squeaking from bushes. I hope that noise is just them bedding in.

Hopefully it will all settle down after a few 100+ miles as yours did in the case of the heavy steering.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Oddly enough I didn’t notice it as much with the winter tyres/wheels fitted but only after I put the summer tyres/wheels back on I did?

Also the steering is lighter/normal if on gravel when the wheels are free to move. I might put the winter tyres back on the front at some point to see if I still get the heavy steering.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Well just come back from Protyre after giving them a ear bashing and they rebalanced the front wheels FREE turns out one was 65g overweight and the other was 129g overweight so it would appear when I had the rears fitted at garage a few years back they must of over balanced them and since they have always been on the rear until I recently swapped then over I never knew they where not balance properly but it only showed up once the 4 wheel alignment had been done.

Very Odd?
:-k
bill hulme
Premium Member

heavy steering

Post by bill hulme »

I had this trouble years ago the camber angle was well out so i made
a gauge ,go to the knowledge base ( KB ] DIY Camber Angle Finder / Alignment) it my be your problem.
Bill.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Had a rather spirited drive thought twisty and bumpy country lanes last night and now the steering seems nice and smooth again?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sounds like you're sorted then. :+:

Bit odd though.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
tottacrolla

Post by tottacrolla »

It can happen if the bushes were tightened up before allowing them to 'settle'
I usually fit the bushes but leave all the bolts loose overnight with the weight of the car on its wheels.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I'm beginning to think that’s what happened since after the bumpy twisty drive everything seemed to loosen up. Even the exhaust vibration has now gone :lol:
Last edited by Grendel on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Grendel wrote:Even the exhaust vibration has now gone : lol:

Have you checked it's still attached? :wink: :lol:
vashy

Post by vashy »

aw11rally wrote:A mucky flange can lead to poor mating

absolutely.
. . 6 . 7 . 8