2 part paint question:

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dan89

2 part paint question:

Post by Dan89 »

Right well my MR2 is getting complete respray within next few months. Done some prepping and stripping myself to keep costs down. I've decided on the colour: COSMOS BLUE:
Well the long and short of it is;
A) what's the paint code
B) Does anyone know the cost of it per litre?

Cheers
Dan
fearless

Re: 2 part paint question:

Post by fearless »

dont know paint code for cosmos blue but all depends on what you spraying it in, ie 2 pack paint, cellulose, water based i recently bought a litre of mercedes silver in 2 pack to refurb a set of alloys and cost me £24 a litre, is cosmos blue metalic if so would give you an idea, cellulose is cheapest i think not sure on the new water based paint never used it 2 pack is nice and hard wearing for paintwork ebay have paint for sale not sure how good colour match is as ive only ever bought black for spraying various things might be best to stick to a paint supplier doing a whole car. :D :D :D
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
Dan89

Post by Dan89 »

Yeah it's metallic as far as I know. Was just wondering if anyone knew as if I can supply the paint, costs would be a bit cheaper ;-)
Although I do need the paint code :-)
Neil_87

Post by Neil_87 »

Dont know the paint code but a google search should find it for you in a few mins.

As for the paint recently bought mine for about £26, not including the thinners or primer or lacquer of corse though. Thats just the basecoat itself.

If you ring autopaint in st helens (google it) they will get the paint code for you over the phone and price it all up for you. Job done nice and easy :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

paint, thinners, and primer works out quite expensive as i found out, i got fed up as only thing i cant do is spray cars and decided to have a go myself starting off with a border bonnet i made, i can see why it costs so much by the time you buy the primer, the basecoat, activator, thinners, strainers, panel wipe, gun cleaner it costs a packet, and if your starting from scratch ie a compressor, spray gun, water seperator, preasure valve, spray gun hose its even worse, im getting better all the time with my spraying and have just bought a devilbiss gun with a 1.3 setup which is suppose to be good for a home sprayer and gun works on a low preasure compressor.

you would need 2 of these if doing door shuts and doors and under bonnet and engine cover with some spare to touch up with, just to give you an idea thats without primer and laquer, high build primer and laquer is not cheap aswell and activator and thinners, might be better off painter supplying the stuff to be honest also may use a supplier he likes some painters are a bit funny on who thay use painters preference, heres some rough guides for you cellulose only needs thinners added where as 2 pack needs thinners and activator to go off

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5LT-CELLULOSE-G ... 2a04e5b383

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2K-ACRYLIC-CAR-PA ... 3ef40c9868

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2K-PRIMER-CAR-PAI ... 5640bf25a5

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2K-Scratch-Resist ... 3cad9b00ed

heres my bonnet i painted myself and some dash plastics.
oh and my new gun i cant wait to use.
hope this might give you an idea need to know if using 2 pack or cellulose really to give you a better idea also a few painters on here will be able to help you better gave me a lot of good advice. :D :D :D
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”