[Mk2] [Turbo] Best way of removing bonded/blended side skirts?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

[Mk2] [Turbo] Best way of removing bonded/blended side skirts?

Post by bluesmoke »

Anybody able to give me any tips? The skirts HAVE to come off as the sills need welding. They're Veilside ones and I have some genuien Tom's to replace them with, so I'm not unhappy about having to do it, I just don't know where to start.
Andy_Foz

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best way of removing bonded/blended side skirts?

Post by Andy_Foz »

Hi mate

Sounds common sense, but first thing i would do would be take off the interior trim behind the seats to see if there are any screws also holding the kit in place as well as fibreglass/PU adhesive. feel gently with your fingers for this, but be careful as if self tappers have been used, they may be sharp.

Then make sure all fixing screws from the wheel arch liners have been removed, jack up the car and see if you can gently prise the skirt from the body. Should come off with a bit of gentle persuasion!

Im guessing you are going to have to have the rear quarters at the very least resprayed. When you remove the blended skirt, clean it back to the bodywork with some varying grades of sandpaper and get a bit of primer on everything before fitting your new skirts.

Hope that helps?!

Andy
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

No not respraying the rear quarters as the skirts are only blended where the sill is. The side vent part of the skirts does have a rivet through it behind the Turbo rub strip that will have to be drilled out.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

they use a big cheese wire at the body shop...slices through the sikoflex like...well cheese...be carefull not to scratch the paint or allow the wire to cut into the fibre glass.

Return to “Modifications”