ps3 with ps2 games

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Quigonjay

ps3 with ps2 games

Post by Quigonjay »

my auntie asked me today about ps3's as she would like to get one for my mentally ill cousin
she wants to know which ps3 to get so he can play his ps2 games on it
having a look on wikipedia and google its a bit confusing
which ps3 consoles can play ps2 games?
thanks
Jay
Nightfire

Re: ps3 with ps2 games

Post by Nightfire »

The early 60gb ones played ps2/1 games. I dont think that the new ones have the facility to play them but i may be wrong :thumleft:

I would give ebay a search for a 60gb
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

ok, how do you distinguish an early one from a late one?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

AFAIK, all the ones with 4 usb ports could play PS2 games.

Later machines only had 2 usb ports.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Left one is an early (fat) right is the new slim.

Catch 22 though, You need the very early 60gb with chrome front/built in card readers and 4x USB's, problem being 2nd hand ones are getting on a bit and YLOD/BluRay drive failures are very common problems (as you'll see on ebay) so I wouldn't actually recommend buying one unless you can find one that's hardly been used through someone you know and it has the warranty sticker in tact.

BluRay fix is 20 mins to swap boards over and should cost between £50-£70 for parts, YLOD is luck of the draw if you can be bothered with the hastle, Anyone who charges to fix them will give you the hmmmm and arghhh speech if you mention "warranty" you can do it yourself in 1-2 hours with a couple of screwdrivers, a heat gun and some thermal paste. A late 40gb fat I did is still going 6 months on, mines on its 3rd fix (1st lasted 6 weeks, 2nd lasted 10 weeks/ish) another mates I did managed 3 months then died completely.
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Assuming he's still got the PS2, just buy any PS3 and then he can use both consoles. PS3 goes in via HDMI, PS2 goes in via SCART, no need to keep switching cables or anything.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i got the 60 gb version

back to sony once, there is no point to play ps2 on a ps3 :mrgreen:

all your old save game need to be transfer, (need to buy the convertor)

ps3 game is alot better

and any version HD can swap out, running 500gb hd now

also have ps2 untouch that games and console
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

ekona wrote:Assuming he's still got the PS2, just buy any PS3 and then he can use both consoles. PS3 goes in via HDMI, PS2 goes in via SCART, no need to keep switching cables or anything.

I tried this, FFXII looked awful though as the resolution just wasnt high enough and my 50" plasma just stretched the image out making it very blocky.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

So? It'll always look the same regardless, it's an old game designed under different specs.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

ekona wrote:So? It'll always look the same regardless, it's an old game designed under different specs.

I believe that if the game is run on a PS3 that plays PS2 games, then the PS3 upscales it (better than what the TV would do).
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

If it upscales games as well as it upscales DVDs, then you can colour me unimpressed. DVDs don't look any better at all really, upscaling on or off.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i guess keeping the ps2 is an option for him, only thing is, he lives in sheltered accomadation and the rooms are not that big, dont get me wrong, its no cell, but an extra console/cables/controllers etc would take up space, having said that though, after reading the replies and doing a bit more reading i will reccomend he keeps the ps2 and gets a ps3, it seems to make the most sense for issue free gaming, especially for my cousin

Return to “Games Consoles”