Best wheel and tyre sizes???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shifty6Speed

Re: Best wheel and tyre sizes???

Post by Shifty6Speed »

jasongtr wrote:6'5" - do you sit on the floor in an MR2? :shock:

I admit it's deffinately not the most relaxed driving position for me, i need the t-bar so as i can look over the windscreen without sticking my head out of the window **Kidding** and my knee's do sit very close to the wheel....

It's do-able though, you get used to it and then after a while you just sort of feel a bit like part of the car i suppose... I much prefer the leather interiors too because it allows me to slide my backside around to get more comfortable etc instead of being stuck to the cloth trim with no give...
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I have 16's, you certainly become limited with tyres in the 16" line. I'm trialling Toyo T1R 225x40x16 rear and 205x45x16 front (will be if the car ever starts again :)). Would've liked 235 on the rear, but they're like rocking horse doo doo.

Think the price point isn't really valid. As 17's are far more common, they are also cheaper, comparable in price to 16's, but bigger :)

Can't vouch for any handling characteristics though as I have only driven two's on 15's so far (NA and Tubby).

My tyre place used to charge £5 per tyre fitted and balanced, but last time it was a tenner a corner [-X
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

I've had 2 lots of 16's on mine and found them very twitchy compared to my 17's. Mucho prefere the 17's,stable up to high speeds.
Lack tyre size choice also was a pain.

:thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
Shifty6Speed

Post by Shifty6Speed »

Yeah, this is what i've heard off others aswell... I've only ever had 17's on my two's in the past and i've never really had issues with them at all, like you say, they're stable at high speeds and regardless of tyre width, i've always found the handling predictable, even in slides... I guess thats mostly down to experience and being comfortable with how the car handles though, some people don't like it and thats fair enough....

I've driven a mates on 15's and i wasn't mad keen on the soft suspension and the tyre roll but again, each to their own...

After having a look at tyre prices online again, i'd have to agree now that 17's are generally around the same price... 16's have become a lot less common in the last few years and i suppose that reflects in the distinct lack of sizes available in 16's...
Shifty6Speed

Post by Shifty6Speed »

In saying about soft suspension, i've always had stiffer lowering springs or coilover kits so i wasn't used to the car's standard handling etc...

Still awesome fun cars to drive though regardless! :thumleft:
Rahzel

Post by Rahzel »

I run 16's in the front and 17's on the rears. Best of both worlds then :-)

225/45 up front and 255/40 on the rear.
Shifty6Speed

Post by Shifty6Speed »

Rahzel wrote:I run 16's in the front and 17's on the rears. Best of both worlds then :-)

225/45 up front and 255/40 on the rear.

I've always been a bit jubbly about different sized wheels but then again, if it does the job, you're not going to notice much looks wise are you if they're the same wheel!

Worth looking at, cheers for the idea :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”