[All] [Generic] Dash LED....I have found the perfect ones.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JohnnyC

Re: [All] [Generic] Dash LED....I have found the perfect ones.

Post by JohnnyC »

sjm1984 wrote:What LED can i use to replace the interior light next to the rear view mirror?

Any BA9 type LED should do.
But I tried and they were terrible due to LEDs being directional and the bulbs can't face downwards.

Solution though was a couple of these packs (last 2 in the list)...
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/automotive-b ... 1_130.html
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

sjm1984 wrote:What LED can i use to replace the interior light next to the rear view mirror?

Also where/what type of LED should i get to replace the side lights? as i have the black crystal style lenses the led's i bought of flee bay arnt that bright 8-[

Hi SJM,

I went for these, they are a little small but look great. I measured the size of the internal surround but these can be laid on top of the actual perspex so measure that to get a better fitting size.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0134170207

Do an ebay search on 24 or 36 or 48 smd.

I know the 5 way 501 SMD are super bright for your sidelights, but I think the Audi led strip would look great with the smoked fronts.

Cheers

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

marcnoonan wrote:

Also where/what type of LED should i get to replace the side lights? as i have the black crystal style lenses the led's i bought of flee bay arnt that bright 8-[

Hi SJM,

I went for these, they are a little small but look great. I measured the size of the internal surround but these can be laid on top of the actual perspex so measure that to get a better fitting size.

I know the 5 way 501 SMD are super bright for your sidelights, but I think the Audi led strip would look great with the smoked fronts.

Cheers

Marc

like these ??

Ken58

Post by Ken58 »

Just about to do my heater control etc and looking for the right stuff.
Would these do the job? is the voltage ok etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3mm-LED-RED-Clear ... 7C294%3A50[/url]
MR2_RICH

Post by MR2_RICH »

Yeah they should do it. You will need a few 5mm leds aswell for the heater temp dial.

Only problem I found with the leds in my heater buttons is that they are really bright as in distractingly bright. Not sure what I can do to calm them down???

Really easy job though took me about an hour and I have never soldered before :thumleft:
Ken58

Post by Ken58 »

I was wndering if they might be too bright, what about putting a diffuser of some sort in the switch caseing before putting the circuit board back? a sort of neutral density filter inside the switchs. ( light smoke grey transparent plastic maybe)

The two 5mm bulbs I have got red covers for instead of LED's, swap them over from the green ones, hoping that will do the trick.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

BLZ-8027 wrote:
marcnoonan wrote:

Hi SJM,

Cheers

Marc

like these ??

I like that :thumleft:

I have the black front lights, but insted of yellowy coloured buldbs I went and got some ultra bright white LEDs, I preffer them with the red of the car and black light then bright white square glow. Will get dads camera and take a few snaps when my back is better :thumleft:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Ken58 wrote:I was wndering if they might be too bright, what about putting a diffuser of some sort in the switch caseing before putting the circuit board back? a sort of neutral density filter inside the switchs. ( light smoke grey transparent plastic maybe)

The two 5mm bulbs I have got red covers for instead of LED's, swap them over from the green ones, hoping that will do the trick.

MR2_RICH wrote:

Only problem I found with the leds in my heater buttons is that they are really bright as in distractingly bright. Not sure what I can do to calm them down???

Ive read that its down to the resistors that control the brightness ,so you really need to change the standard resistors as well as the leds
ill try and find the info
Last edited by BLZ-8027 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Did anyone get around the non fitting issue of these? I went to put them in at the weekend and 1 wont fit behind the speedo/tacho (can't remember which.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

cantfindausername wrote:Did anyone get around the non fitting issue of these? I went to put them in at the weekend and 1 wont fit behind the speedo/tacho (can't remember which.

The leds for the dash?

From memory, there are also 2 plastic pins in each bulb holder, you will need to carefully break these out.

put bulb in holder

Use abit of force to get it in and turn - be sure to not rip the paper tissue circuit board when doing this otherwise you will have to crack out the soldering iron.

and turn lights on, check it works as they LEDs are polarity sensitive.

The alernative is, to completely dismantle the clocks, get inside where the clear plastic is and either dremel 2-3 mm from the offending spots and polish back up.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Cool thanks mate I will give this a go when I get a chance. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
mr2jay

Post by mr2jay »

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I am trying to master this myself :?

Bought a couple of T4 LED bulbs only to find they are seriously dim, really not happy.

OK, for the main lighting (sliders etc) would these do the trick? I was thinking 3, 1 top, 2 bottom or even 4 (2 top, 2 bottom if I can get them in)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... Code=N91CX

And the indicator lights.... 10 of

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... Code=WL34M

So, what is the deal with resistors? Read in loads of places they are needed but no-one say which ones

As you can tell, I am VERY new to all this electronics stuff :oops:

Most of the links on here don't work (UltraLEDs are renowned for chopping and changing) so looking where I can get them off the shelf locally :whistle:
mr2jay

Post by mr2jay »

Well, just took a trip over to Maplins and walked away with this lot.....

Hopefully I should be able to get it how I want it tonight :?
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Did you do it then MR2Jay? Any pics??

I'm interested in new bulbs in my dash too, which bulbs are we to go for, for the ultra white look, which I presume is what the thread is about?? None of the links are working though. :(
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i ended up putting red 501 bulbs in, bright enough and easy enoiugh to read as stock units, except in red :wink:
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

allan welsh wrote:i ended up putting red 501 bulbs in, bright enough and easy enoiugh to read as stock units, except in red :wink:

Pic? :)

And where did you get them from, how much for them all?

Cheers.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

TheBaker wrote:
allan welsh wrote:i ended up putting red 501 bulbs in, bright enough and easy enoiugh to read as stock units, except in red :wink:

Pic? :)

And where did you get them from, how much for them all?

Cheers.

just your normal 501's from ebay if you do a search on PAIR RED 501 CAR SIDE LIGHT/SIDELIGHT INDICATOR BULBS it should find passion_automotive who supplied mine. Obv buy 2 pairs lol but for 6quid all in so far I have no complaints, no hot spots and every dial / digit easy to read, excuse crappy phone pic but they gave the result below

TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Nice man! :D

Might invest in them, thought it would have to more than 6 quid like, good value..

Do they still respond to the dimmer knob for the lights?

Cheers.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

TheBaker wrote:Nice man! :D

Might invest in them, thought it would have to more than 6 quid like, good value..

Cheers.

ok at the risk of sounding stupid having owned my car for 7 and a half years..... dimmer knob for lights? < apart from the driver in this case! :clown: >
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

allan welsh wrote:
TheBaker wrote:Nice man! :D

Cheers.

ok at the risk of sounding stupid having owned my car for 7 and a half years..... dimmer knob for lights? < apart from the driver in this case! :clown: >

Hah, my bad! My mind reverted back to thinking the light control switch for the headlights was for the dials, I actually went out to check lol. :oops:

Can't wait to get some anyway as my current ones are really dim.

Return to “Modifications”