Ariel Atom 300

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Ekona

Re: Ariel Atom 300

Post by Ekona »

That's not what I said at all.
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

ekona wrote:That's not what I said at all.

What you said was "Even the most basic MR2 will be quicker than bike through the corners".

That statement isn't even close to being true: the above is simply your opinion, which in this case is wrong.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

A car corners quicker than a bike due the increased grip levels, what's wrong about that? If that's not the case, then show me the proof.
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

ekona wrote:A car corners quicker than a bike due the increased grip levels, what's wrong about that? If that's not the case, then show me the proof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrbu ... otorcycles

You've waffled about the Nordschleiffe, only the very fastest 4 wheels on the planet have beaten a mildly tuned bike.

How's that for proof? Alternatively, look at any race track website and compare yourself.

Going around the Melbourne Loop or Goddard's, I wouldn't fancy myself at all being quicker than a car. Going around Schwantz's/McLean's, I'd absolutely fancy myself being quicker than the car.
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

ekona wrote:A car corners quicker than a bike due the increased grip levels, what's wrong about that? If that's not the case, then show me the proof.

It's not about showing proof after you make a claim, it's about showing proof before you make the claim.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

mr2nut123 wrote:If the best car and the best bike in the world were to be created, the law of physics would make the car the faster of the 2.

You have to define faster...
Straight line, through corners, on a tank of petrol, top speed, so many different factors.
Never forget that bikes were regularly breaking the 200mph barrier before cars.
These are road going bikes available for less than £20K....
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

Tiamat wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:If the best car and the best bike in the world were to be created, the law of physics would make the car the faster of the 2.

Straight line, through corners, on a tank of petrol, top speed, so many different factors.

My last race bike, a GSXR100K4 was limited to a 186mph, on the speed trap at Jerez with nothing more than a can/commander/cog, that hit 200mph. I ran Paul Young's old GSXR1000 too, we never speed-trapped that but I'll bet it kissed 200mph too.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Tiamat wrote:

I'm not talking top speeds, i'm talking lap times. Ask a scientist if you want the proof. 4 wheels = better cornering.

Long straight track, perhaps the bike will take it but tight track and it will always be the car.

The perfect example was on Top Gear. The atom raped the bike on the tight top gear track, 4 seconds on just one lap! Extra power isn't going to make a difference to the bike either because anything it makes back on the straights, the car will more than compensate back in the corners.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

The problem with all these tests is it also depends on the rider and driver.

£ for £ though, bike is better value IMHO.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

ive been a cadwell boy for many years and my god ive never been round it quicker tha on the back of a bike.

yes the wider profile of the cars tire and yatter yatter bull xxxx, but a bike has the whole track for his racing line not just the select bit where they need to plan for like a car.

id pick a bike if i wanted to go silly fast and well probably die, but as i value my life a little il take the car and enjoy being tha bit slower, with my aircon and stereo ;)

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Lets see a bike lap quicker then this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtyZosuPNE

"Nuff" said :twisted:
M5
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

mr2nut123 wrote:I'm not talking top speeds, i'm talking lap times. Ask a scientist if you want the proof. 4 wheels = better cornering.

The atom raped the bike on the tight top gear track, 4 seconds on just one lap!

Firstly, there aren't many people driving Atom's.
Secondly, I posted to a comment whereby someone said "Any standard MR2 will be quicker than any bike", which is clearly a preposterous comment.
Thirdly, I don't need to ask a scientist if a bike is faster around Donington that 99% of cars, I need only look at the lap times to see that.

Use your own logic: the Atom wouldn't beat the quickest bike around the Nordschliefe, it doesn't have a high enough top speed on the straights, and therefore your argument is now worthless.

One thing I will say, there are alot of Atom drivers contributing to this post, I don't know so many people had them.
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

V8Killer wrote:Lets see a bike lap quicker then this:

The argument was "Any standard MR2 would be quicker than any bike" - is the Radical SR an LE model MR2 that I don't know about????
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

chorlton wrote:
V8Killer wrote:Lets see a bike lap quicker then this:

The argument was "Any standard MR2 would be quicker than any bike" - is the Radical SR an LE model MR2 that I don't know about????

I couldn't careless what the argument was about :clown:
M5
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

V8Killer wrote:I couldn't careless what the argument was about :clown:

Well obviously you do, as you keep posting...... albeit irrelevantly.
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

I was not aiming any of my comments at you! I posted a link to an SR8 at the ring, and you've taken a cheap shot :eye:

I find it highly amusing how you've got your knickers in a twist though!

:oldtongue:
M5
chorlton

Post by chorlton »

V8Killer wrote:I find it highly amusing how you've got your knickers in a twist though! :oldtongue:

I haven't been worked anywhere nearly hard enough to get in a twist, I'm simply pointing out the irrelevance of some of the points raised.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Ok, am bored now!
Guys, just leave it or I will lock the thread to save myself further boredom.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

chorlton wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:I'm not talking top speeds, i'm talking lap times. Ask a scientist if you want the proof. 4 wheels = better cornering.

The atom raped the bike on the tight top gear track, 4 seconds on just one lap!

Firstly, there aren't many people driving Atom's.
Secondly, I posted to a comment whereby someone said "Any standard MR2 will be quicker than any bike", which is clearly a preposterous comment.
Thirdly, I don't need to ask a scientist if a bike is faster around Donington that 99% of cars, I need only look at the lap times to see that.

Use your own logic: the Atom wouldn't beat the quickest bike around the Nordschliefe, it doesn't have a high enough top speed on the straights, and therefore your argument is now worthless.

One thing I will say, there are alot of Atom drivers contributing to this post, I don't know so many people had them.

I've driven one actually at Elvington a few months back and believe me, a bike couldn't have kept up around that tight track, it's just not physically possible.

Use your reading ability and refer back to one of my previous posts: I said on a long track then yes, the bike is a contender. Tight track and it's game over for the bike..
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

OMG, i can't believe you joined a forum to make a point!

Your willy must be tiny :-$

:mrgreen:
M5

Return to “Driving Experiences”