[Mk2] [Turbo] AVT Charge coolers: opinions?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

[Mk2] [Turbo] AVT Charge coolers: opinions?

Post by ashley »

I'm currently researching options on charge cooling- I've done a few searches on here and lots of people use the AVT chargecooler pumps...can't find much on the chargecoolers themselves.

Anyone have any experiences good / bad of them please?

http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/chargecooling.html
2barGee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] AVT Charge coolers: opinions?

Post by 2barGee »

Ive not used them but they look good mate.

Ive got a precison charge cooler and it works really well!!!!

http://www.precisionturbo.net/Wc21d17e349ccf.htm

Might help mate :thumleft:

I use a radtec rad and a huge aqua tiger pump, not cheap but it works really well 8)

just my 2p

EDIT Just seen your running the same turbo as me, mine is getting mapped tomorrow im getting it mapped to around 1.5bar as im on the stock manifold still. Are you running the HKS manifold as well mate??
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yes at the moment...but I got plans :mrgreen:

Good luck with the mapping- you should see at least 400 at 1.5 8)

Cheers for the input on the cc- your install looks nice- nice short pipework :clap:

Really like the look of the AVT cc's...just need some independent views!!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Yeh man the AVT's do look nice, are you thinking of putting yours in the boot??
My pipe work is nice and short but its a pain with the induction kit ](*,) cost a fair wack as you know its 4" and 4" ali bends are not cheap :lol:

I might go boot mounted in the end but the turbo lag is minimal with this set up at the moment so i would like 2 keep it that way as ill be going on track!!!

What are you plans if you dont mind me asking?? Pm if you want 2 keep it quiet mate :thumleft:

I still cannot get over how quick this turbo spools up :shock:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Why would you switch from your current setup to bmic- I'd have thought your cooling was good with a cc?

I'd like to switch from bootmount to get the pipework lengths down, but not sure how realistic it is space wise, plus I'd have to change my inlet mani :cry:

'fraid I can't comment on my plans yet...but all will be revealed later this year :wink:

Good luck tomorrow buddy :thumleft:
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

Eh up dude... Avt use pwr cores ...just like I'm using (and also that chap that did the wheelie (Roy ashby)...from experience I can tell you this...

They cool very well... Constant tempretures of 40-47'c at 2 bar boost when it's 25'c outside...it does not heat soak at all even when idling..

The only problem with my setup is that my core is to far away from the inlet manifold and throttle body... Thus making the ait a little high.. However I think it would work extremely well with your setup due to you being to mount the core almost next to the throttle body in the boot....(this something I was looking into to reduce intake temps..

This is also how Roy ashby has his setup also who runs Big power...
ashley

Post by ashley »

Alright dude- yeh: I thought I remembered yours looking like this :D

What size core have you got on yours?

I'm surprised that your temps were that high...or am I expecting too much from a c/c...? But then I guess that is at 2bar...still I was hoping to keep temps under 35c :-k

EDIT: forgot to add- I'll have a spare defi EGT guage (amongst others) soon if you're still looking for one...
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

ashman wrote:Alright dude- yeh: I thought I remembered yours looking like this :D

What size core have you got on yours?

I'm surprised that your temps were that high...or am I expecting too much from a c/c...? But then I guess that is at 2bar...still I was hoping to keep temps under 35c :-k

EDIT: forgot to add- I'll have a spare defi EGT guage (amongst others) soon if you're still looking for one...

you normally find ait's are slightly higher in chargecooler systems ...but they maintain a constant low in stead of being a bit peaky which you can get with intercoolers...

I'm using the 6x10 core rated to 650hp I believe Roy is using the biggest core rated to something like 1200hp...

Egt sounds good....depending on the price!!!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Dangerous wrote:
you normally find ait's are slightly higher in chargecooler systems ...but they maintain a constant low in stead of being a bit peaky which you can get with intercoolers...

Really? I thought the whole point was they cooled temps more...that's pretty much the main reason I'm considering the switch. If it ain't gonna give me lower inlet temperatures then I'd be better off saving weight and sticking with an intercooler surely....?

confused now lol
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

ashman wrote:
Dangerous wrote:

Really? I thought the whole point was they cooled temps more...that's pretty much the main reason I'm considering the switch. If it ain't gonna give me lower inlet temperatures then I'd be better off saving weight and sticking with an intercooler surely....?

confused now lol

don't get me wrong I think chargecoolers are more effiecent and stable way of cooling (especially in a rear engine car) but it never gonna be as good as a huge front mounted intercoolers say on a skyline...(that's probAbly why most of the turbo cars use intercoolers)

if I were you I would buy a bigger intercooler core stick a big scoop underneath it run 2 spal pulled fans on top to suck the cold air up from underneath and put some louvers in your boot lid for the air to escape...obvoiusly you would have to rework your exhaust system aswell. Sidemount if you've got the kahoonas!!! That's the way i'd do it now I reckon.... Seems to work well for chris.....I'm sure he said he was getting. 26'c!!!!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeah- I've thought about a scoop underneath, reckon I could even do it and keep my exhaust if I was cunning about the design. Don't really want to louvre my boot- trying to keep it looking as stock as possible from the outside lol

I'm trying to make the car track proof (so that rules out side exit exhausts on noise level restrictions!)- from that perspective I figured charge cooling made sense to deal with continual running. I also (perhaps mistakenly) assumed that charge cooling would give me lower intake temps and reduce my chances of cracking another block.

Having read some more it looks like the advantage of a charge cooler is less pipework (but mine would be boot mounted), and a smaller core so lower pressure drop.

If I'm sticking with my current inlet mani then I reckon I may as well stick with an intercooler. In order to really reap the rewards of a cc I think I'd need to have it in the engine bay, removing most of the pipework and reducing lag...but I'd need to change my manifold...

Gonna have to think some more about this, and take some advice I think :-k
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

mine is cold even after a few hard runs, running around 37psi :mrgreen:
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

ashman wrote:Yeah- I've thought about a scoop underneath, reckon I could even do it and keep my exhaust if I was cunning about the design. Don't really want to louvre my boot- trying to keep it looking as stock as possible from the outside lol

I'm trying to make the car track proof (so that rules out side exit exhausts on noise level restrictions!)- from that perspective I figured charge cooling made sense to deal with continual running. I also (perhaps mistakenly) assumed that charge cooling would give me lower intake temps and reduce my chances of cracking another block.

Having read some more it looks like the advantage of a charge cooler is less pipework (but mine would be boot mounted), and a smaller core so lower pressure drop.

If I'm sticking with my current inlet mani then I reckon I may as well stick with an intercooler. In order to really reap the rewards of a cc I think I'd need to have it in the engine bay, removing most of the pipework and reducing lag...but I'd need to change my manifold...
Gonna have to think some more about this, and take some advice I
think :-k

I'm sure we could come to some arrangement for my polished oem inlet manifold and throttle body if you wanted to go the top mount cc or similar.... :mrgreen: :lol: :roll:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Andy F wrote:
mine is cold even after a few hard runs, running around 37psi :mrgreen:

Yeah- I actually had yours in mind when I started thinking about cc's mate :eye:

Where's your BOV- or don't you run with one? Don't look to be much room for one on that inlet tract!

What sort of inlet temps are you seeing?
ashley

Post by ashley »

Dangerous wrote:
I'm sure we could come to some arrangement for my polished oem inlet manifold and throttle body if you wanted to go the top mount cc or similar.... :mrgreen: :lol: :roll:

:lol: we shall see mate :wink:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

ashman wrote:Why would you switch from your current setup to bmic- I'd have thought your cooling was good with a cc?

I'd like to switch from bootmount to get the pipework lengths down, but not sure how realistic it is space wise, plus I'd have to change my inlet mani :cry:

'fraid I can't comment on my plans yet...but all will be revealed later this year :wink:

Good luck tomorrow buddy :thumleft:

No i wont ever change from my cc set-up mate, i would just move the core to the boot thats what i meant. Ill keep it where it is at the moment as the lag is nice and low so that will be sweet when you power out of the corners on track days :twisted:

Fingers crossed it wont rain later on today or mapping might be interesting :shock:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Ah- I see! Why would you want to move the core into the boot though? Surely all that will do is increase lag, and shift more weight behind the back axle line? Just wondering what advantage you'd get? I guess maybe a lower centre of gravity as you could have the core on the boot floor... :-k

Good luck with the weather- looking forwards to seeing what your car does buddy :thumleft:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

No Bov matey, i think Dave said max was 36 at 2bar
Built by YVS Performance
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sweet- that's more like the level of intake cooling I'm looking for!

Thanks for the info- I may be in touch in the future about the design of the cc if thats ok mate :eye:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

no worries :thumleft:
Built by YVS Performance

Return to “Modifications”