[Mk2] [Turbo] Ebay Lightweight Relocation Oil Cooler Kits??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Ebay Lightweight Relocation Oil Cooler Kits??

Post by bobhatton »

Dangerous wrote:Strange....fensport use 8:5:1cr in thier celica ( I asked em today) if bobs theory is right that it does cause to much heat.. Could this contribute to block failure ? ( I'm on my 3rd ) 2 bar boost on a t04z max lasted 2000miles then went pop!!! Engine builder seems to think that it will make less power with lower compression...

If you, Gav, or anyone wants some more info please pm me your email address and I will sent it to you.

The only way to run a higher boost without lowering the CR is using race fuel or by backing off timing.
When Toyota changed from the Rev 2 to Rev 3 and increased the boost what did they do, back of the timing? No they spent lots of money and had new pistons made with a lower CR, because its the right way to do it.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

I honestly didn't know that!
I would greatly appreciate that info so I can pass it on to my engine builder and see what he has to say....if it's a case of lowering the compression would fitting a thicker head gasket be o.k in your eyes...
I,m currently running STD toyota 1mm head gasket with a cr of 8:4:1 I THINK....

I'll pm you my email address shortly....thanks
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

bobhatton wrote:
Dangerous wrote:Strange....fensport use 8:5:1cr in thier celica ( I asked em today) if bobs theory is right that it does cause to much heat.. Could this contribute to block failure ? ( I'm on my 3rd ) 2 bar boost on a t04z max lasted 2000miles then went pop!!! Engine builder seems to think that it will make less power with lower compression...

If you, Gav, or anyone wants some more info please pm me your email address and I will sent it to you.

The only way to run a higher boost without lowering the CR is using race fuel or by backing off timing.
When Toyota changed from the Rev 2 to Rev 3 and increased the boost what did they do, back of the timing? No they spent lots of money and had new pistons made with a lower CR, because its the right way to do it.

Bob

i totaly no what your saying bob and i agree with what your saying but i cant get my head around the fact chris and andy and a few others are runnin 2.5bar with no problems, i have spoke to tb,rogue,fens and so many others they all use the 8:5:1 c/r instead of 8:0:1 c/r i dont get it?

i fowarded the thread to tb

"yes that is true that retarding the ignition means the exhaust gets hotter, valves etc. You also loose power but not that the power you want to run mate or compression ratio. If we were having this descussion at 800bhp then yes i'd agree but were not so hes taking what hes saying as a technical limit not experienced."

"I mean for an exampled something Xxxx was playing with was High compression engines. i believe he tried 2.4bar of boost on a gt4094r turbo (huge) very high redline and made over 800bhp at compression ratios nearing 10.0:1 and all that happened was the block cracked because of stupidly high cylinder pressures. So the failure was block strength in this case over fueling limitatons etc which is his argument."

"look at dave redeyes gt3076r running 1.3bar on some custom pistons that aren't allowed to expand or they xxxx up and hes making 450bhp with plenty more to come. pump fuel and lots more ignition advance avalible etc. Think this goes to prove my point."

"not trying to knock the guy, i'm sure hes very nice and knowledgable but proofs in the pudding, i've had people waving bits of papers at me before and seen them make the most stupid of mistakes, and his comments so far show a lack of experience with 3sgte tuning, but a good technical info"

"Like i said, what he is saying isnt wrong, its all just a little premature if you'd have said 600-650BHP in your question, then yes, id agree with him 100% "

i just dont understand how there can be two diffrent points of view on this i have always thort to run more boost you have to lower the c/r, as bob said the rev2 was 8:8 and the rev3 was 8:5 man i am confussed ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
ashley

Post by ashley »

GTS GAV wrote:man i am confussed ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Welcome to the club dude

I've talked to as many experienced 3SGTE builders as I could find- I was convinced it was my CR that had caused my block to crack due to high temperatures- every single one of them came back saying that my CR was not a problem: I was running at 8.6:1 and running upto 1.6bar.

I absolutely understand Bob's explanations- and they make complete sense...yet you still see high spec builds with far higher CR's running much more boost with no issues! I've even been pointed at cars running really high (almost NA) CRs AND 2 bar of boost!!

Confused doesn't even start to explain it! At the end of the day you have to have faith in your engine builder, and in the results that other people seem to be obtaining...I've stuck with an 8.6:1 CR now, but will be paying much closer attention to the mapping process when I get there. I really don't want to drop to 8:1 and lose my off-boost performance...

Maybe this is an old school discussion- but maybe a thread finally worthy of the guru's forum? It would be really helpful to see it discussed by those with the 'know' and the 'experience'...?
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

^^ totaly agree with this dude, i would like this thread to continue further with guru input aswell, seems its a subject thats seems to be overlooked by many and im sure alot dont rearlize how important it is to get right
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

PM me your email address and I can send you lots to read so you have a better understanding of how things all work.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Chris

Post by Chris »

Bob is correct in what he is saying. But unless you are aiming for really high HP I believe 8.5:1 is just fine. I reckon it more down to charge temps and good mapping and if you get a bloody good block!

I reckon another possible factor could be aftermarket cams not set up correctly causing poor flow and raising cylinder pressures. That's why I stick with stock cams, plus it drives lovely :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

An engine has to be designed.
The last part of that design is the CR once everything else is in place.

The other thing I never see are compressor maps. How is anyone choosing the right turbo without plotting their air flow and boost on a map.

Its all too hit and miss, no wonder so many engines do not last or do not give the right power output.
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

I was going to say about the cams Chris!

If there not opening at the right time you have to pull
advance the higher up the revs you go!
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

Andy F wrote:I was going to say about the cams Chris!

Hmmm interesting I went back for a second mapping session and a cam swing to try and get more power...we ended up advancing the the exhaust cam timing and netted an extra 20 rwhp... however thier was already signs that something was amiss as i was getting a little water out of the expansion tank....
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Get the stock ones back in mate, its the best mod you will ever do!
You will be amazed how much advance can be added up the top end.
Built by YVS Performance
ashley

Post by ashley »

Dangerous wrote:

Hmmm interesting I went back for a second mapping session and a cam swing to try and get more power...we ended up advancing the the exhaust cam timing and netted an extra 20 rwhp... however thier was already signs that something was amiss as i was getting a little water out of the expansion tank....

What cams are you running mate? I was planning on swinging the cams on the dyno, but now I'm thinking that I might stick the 264's it came with back in...maybe even stock as Andy suggests.

The cams mine was built with are as below, but I'm not convinced they are doing me any favours :-k

o Inlet
At 1.0mm lift- 240 deg
At 0.1mm lift- 274 deg
At 0.0mm lift- 294 deg
Overall lift- 11.75mm
o Exhaust
At 1.0mm lift- 220 deg
At 0.1mm lift- 254 deg
At 0.0mm lift- 280 deg
Overall lift- 10.55mm

Andy- do you favour stock cams mainly cos they are easier to know when you've got them dialed in right? I'm trying to work out why the cams I have wouldn't be working- cos the exhaust duration is too long, or cos they might not be set up right :-k
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

Chris wrote:Bob is correct in what he is saying. But unless you are aiming for really high HP I believe 8.5:1 is just fine. I reckon it more down to charge temps and good mapping and if you get a bloody good block!

I reckon another possible factor could be aftermarket cams not set up correctly causing poor flow and raising cylinder pressures. That's why I stick with stock cams, plus it drives lovely :thumleft:

I think your both right to be honest but i love a good massdebate... :lol: :| :-s

No seriously I think its a good thing when people put thier experiences and points a view up it can only lead to a better understanding of these cars that we are obssesed with.....

Another vote for the gurus discussion !!!
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

ashman wrote:
Dangerous wrote:

What cams are you running mate? I was planning on swinging the cams on the dyno, but now I'm thinking that I might stick the 264's it came with back in...maybe even stock as Andy suggests.

The cams mine was built with are as below, but I'm not convinced they are doing me any favours :-k

o Inlet
At 1.0mm lift- 240 deg
At 0.1mm lift- 274 deg
At 0.0mm lift- 294 deg
Overall lift- 11.75mm
o Exhaust
At 1.0mm lift- 220 deg
At 0.1mm lift- 254 deg
At 0.0mm lift- 280 deg
Overall lift- 10.55mm

Andy- do you favour stock cams mainly cos they are easier to know when you've got them dialed in right? I'm trying to work out why the cams I have wouldn't be working- cos the exhaust duration is too long, or cos they might not be set up right :-k

same as you....have you still not worked out who i am yet???
ashley

Post by ashley »

PMSL...apparently not mate, but then I have been up for the last 48 hours so not exactly thinking straight, and I'm not the quickest on the uptake at the best of times :eye: :eye:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Lots of reasons really

Car drives like stock
power comes in earlier
as said dial in bang on, and no pulling of the timing when tuning

Dont forget the hks cams were made for the NA and other cams are
copies of the hks items, having said all that people have had good results
with 272s but the headwork is a must and very expensive 3.5k one person i know of!!!

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE :mrgreen:
Built by YVS Performance
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

Andy F wrote:Lots of reasons really

Car drives like stock
power comes in earlier
as said dial in bang on, and no pulling of the timing when tuning

Dont forget the hks cams were made for the NA and other cams are
copies of the hks items, having said all that people have had good results
with 272s but the headwork is a must and very expensive 3.5k one person i know of!!!

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE :mrgreen:

Of coures you do mate how are you!! Dont sell your car!!! and that goes for Chris aswell!!

Ive had mega head work to suit my cams and it cost too!! the cat cams are supposed to be better than 272's.........
Chris

Post by Chris »

Keeping mine now buddy :thumleft: Andy is his too....I hope :lol:

Andy mate, not juped out of 4th on me yet, but that rattle from the exhaust is driving me mad. Fooking flys now though with turbo held on :lol: :mrgreen:

Dangerous, stick the stock cams back in mate. Give it a go :thumleft:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Must be my little legs not pressing clutch far enough :clown: but good news!

It does fooking fly matey!!
Built by YVS Performance
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I should be getting some heads, manifolds, etc flow checked in the spring then it will be time to do some cam designs.

I do not know enough about cams myself, but I know a man that does.

Bob

Return to “Modifications”