Our car, and a dilema .... thoughts please?

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GDWMR2

Our car, and a dilema .... thoughts please?

Post by GDWMR2 »

Hi all,

Never got round to posting up some pictures of our car, so here goes (the pictures below were taken last May, on one of the few nice days ....).

As you can see, it's a UK spec Rev 1 - we bought the car in March 2006 (jeez, didn't realise it was that long ago ....). The car had FSH, and had done 73104 miles. Currently, the car has 76493 on it - it has never skipped a beat, and I cannot believe just how much fun the car is (on the few occassions we have the time to get out in it!). Every MOT has been a straight pass, except once when it got an advisory for a slightly sticky passenger front caliper (so I keep on top of that now).

I've only made some small changes to the standard car - new CD player, TRD gear knob, steering wheel, cone filter, wheels and tyres all round (the tyres have less than 500 miles on them). I've kept everything which I took off of the car, so at least someone can put it back to fully standard if they want.

The original intention was to buy the car for the occassional trackday, and as a nice runaround for the weekends. We've never done a trackday, basically because we thought that the car was too good to risk, and here is the dilema .....

Before XMas, I got an early present - a few laps driving an Aussie V8 touring car at Rockingham. Since XMas, I've found out that a guy I work with races in the MR2 Championship. So, like all blokes, I've got the yearning to do some track time ...... but I've still got a car that I think is too good to risk ....

So ..... do I sell this, and pump the money into something cheaper and not so much of a problem if I knacker it?

Anyhow, hope you like the pics - if anyone can give me some inputs and give me their thoughts, that would be a help.
Cheers all,
Grahame
Danthrax

Re: Our car, and a dilema .... thoughts please?

Post by Danthrax »

I think that ones too nice to race.

I like the way you blanked the plate to say v8 :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

lol @ V8^

Looks a nice tidy rev 1 that :thumleft:
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Nice, same headunit as myself lol
GDWMR2

Post by GDWMR2 »

Hadn't even thought about the photoshopping giving me those extra 4 cyls! :lol: now that would be something .....
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

2 options: get rid of it and get a rev 3 for racing or strip it sell the parts and fit rev3 brakes and engine

The rev 1 has the smaller brakes, least power, aand yours is a tbar. give patrick at rogue a call, i'm sure he will run through the options.

also look here

http://www.mr2championship.com/
Olls

Post by Olls »

deffo too tidy to race or strip imo .
craig

Post by craig »

Olls wrote:deffo too tidy to race or strip imo .

+1 :thumleft:
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

i think its a great example of a rev 1 , and the mileage is low also ! in my opinion its to good to strip out and race. considering the prices you can now pick up N/A's for it would be a shame to break up a classic . best of luck what ever you decide :thumleft:
1993 GT TURBO
ashley

Post by ashley »

If you're set on tracking (maybe racing) it then I'd consider selling it and using the cash to pick up a rev3+ with a strong engine, but less than perfect body work. You'll then have cash left in your hand to put towards sorting the brakes, suspension, tyres etc :thumleft:
GDWMR2

Post by GDWMR2 »

Thanks for everyones inputs so far, and the nice comments about the car. Yes, I was thinking that anything at Rev 2 or above would be the way to go - I hadn't thought that I might be able to afford a Rev 3 though ... that's interesting for sure!

Thanks again,
Grahame
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

As has been said if you want something for the track a rev3 hard top which is mechanically sound but has less than pristine bodywork is what you should be seeking.
Hope that helps a little.

R.
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

If you have never done a track day, why bother swapping cars for a more suitable one? Get this one on track and see if you enjoy it. No need for a tattier one, you know this one is reliable, get on track and enjoy it. :thumleft:
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Mikey P MR2 wrote:If you have never done a track day, why bother swapping cars for a more suitable one? Get this one on track and see if you enjoy it. No need for a tattier one, you know this one is reliable, get on track and enjoy it. :thumleft:

Agreed, Get this on track and make sure you enjoy it 1st. then look at upgrading once you know that trackdays are for you :thumleft:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Return to “Member Profiles”