de-frosting my 2

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gumbo_gts

de-frosting my 2

Post by gumbo_gts »

went to take her out for a spin in the ice and ,, finally got the door open to find my seat had frozen lol and layer of ice on windscreen and dots of ice on the dash and around the cabin lol ,,,,, oh well lol joy of having t bar , that will be another job added to the do list ,anybody else got the same prob ?
Craigo

Re: de-frosting my 2

Post by Craigo »

yea...bit of character innit

visibility is for gays!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Saw a woman (well it had to be didn't it?) driving along with the window open.

Thought it a bit odd to be driving in this weath with the window open.

But soon realised why, it was so she could spray deicer on the windscreen as she drove along :mrgreen: :clap: #-o
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

Yeah i have the same problem unfortunately.Bit of a bigger when your windscreen has frost on it inside and out lol ](*,)
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

i feel sorry for the owners with full leather and the cold leather on your backs ](*,)

Had a look at my 2 this morning and found that the ice on the engine lid is frozen solid like in a freezer.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Pain in the ar$e. Then water starts to drip on your head as the t-bar glass finally starts to defrost.. Glad I have my works van, just leave the 2 at home. Hate driving it in the winter conditions to be honest, always feel like the weather is eating away at it and it`s just not fun! Need a garage badly. I went to halfords to buy some new wipers last night MR2 MK2 89-99, got them back and they were like clip on things. Mine screw on! So I`m just sat trying to get the rusty metal clip with the screw holes off the old wiper and cleaned up so I can modify the new ones... Havnt had the frozen handbrake this year yet :lol:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

tbars only leak with the original seals, what do you expect from up to a 20 year old car?
plenty of fixes available if you search the forums but new seals are available too
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

everyone says dallas texas toyota does the new seals for about£150 but whenever i look i cant find them on there website. do you have to phone them to order the t-bar seals?
Saksoy

Post by Saksoy »

My throttle was stuck this morning due to the cold weather :(
Danthrax

Post by Danthrax »

D4N_V_U wrote: Havnt had the frozen handbrake this year yet :lol:

i had that yesterday :lol:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

mattymr2 wrote:everyone says dallas texas toyota does the new seals for about£150 but whenever i look i cant find them on there website. do you have to phone them to order the t-bar seals?

Dallas Toyota are in Texas, that's in the USA :mrgreen:

You can get new seals from any Toyota dealership in the UK - but probably a lot more than what the US get them for :twisted:
LeesaH
Beer Wench

Post by LeesaH »

I have had the same problem aswell, the dripping on the head is quite unpleasent :mrgreen:

I had to bump start my much newer fiesta off the mr2 the other morning, she hadnt been started for over a week and no problems whatsoever, I love my car \:D/
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

JohnnyC wrote:
mattymr2 wrote:everyone says dallas texas toyota does the new seals for about£150 but whenever i look i cant find them on there website. do you have to phone them to order the t-bar seals?

Dallas Toyota are in Texas, that's in the USA :mrgreen:

You can get new seals from any Toyota dealership in the UK - but probably a lot more than what the US get them for :twisted:

perfectly aware that Dallas toyota, Texas is in the USA. when i searched before i could only find parts for newer models and wondered if you phoned to make an order ?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Did mine through the internet mate. If you search you'll find my old thread where I searched for part no's myself.
They were about 1/2 the cost of the UK option but that was a year or so ago with a much better exchange rate.

R.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

If you need the Dallas Toyota dealership parts phone no. its

00 1 866-220-6518

I purchased a Aw11 high level stop light from Lawton Oklahoma Toyota as they were not avail in the UK really good service but they think we are nuts calling them lol.

001 877-465-2321
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

I dont think the drip to the head is caused by a leaky t-bar though? I can take my t-bar through a carwash or jetwash and it stays bone dry, never leaks in the rain either. Just when we have this kind of weather, frosty and icey, the inside of the glass gets iced up, so moisture is obviously getting in from somewhere but I dont know where. Out of curiosity, how much did the phonecall to dallas cost?lol.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

after spending way to long trying to get in it in the first place i was greeted by all windows frozen on the inside.

a small drive and what felt like an age for inside to warm up yup nice cold drips my love for T bar is deffo over!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

No problems with the inside of my car freezing here :D I did get the traditional frozen doors, but there's enough of a space between my window and the seal to stick the key in which unfroze it. Then again I have a tin top \:D/

I didn't get my heated seats fitted in time for the cold weather though :(
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
newmr2owner

Post by newmr2owner »

D4N_V_U wrote:Pain in the ar$e. Then water starts to drip on your head as the t-bar glass finally starts to defrost.. Glad I have my works van, just leave the 2 at home. Hate driving it in the winter conditions to be honest, always feel like the weather is eating away at it and it`s just not fun! Need a garage badly. I went to halfords to buy some new wipers last night MR2 MK2 89-99, got them back and they were like clip on things. Mine screw on! So I`m just sat trying to get the rusty metal clip with the screw holes off the old wiper and cleaned up so I can modify the new ones... Havnt had the frozen handbrake this year yet :lol:

Changed my wipers few weeks ago and snapped one of the clips getting one off and had to get a second hand arm. Your better off just changing the actual blade part, nothing will snap there
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Never had icing on the inside.... try using the aircon with the heater so there is less moisture inside the car that can freeze.

Years ago I thought I was going to pull the door rubbers off when it was stuck to the door glass. Since then I use a silicone rubber restorer on the rubbers before the frost n ice season which stops the door freezing to the rubbers.

I do cringe when I drive off and I hear the car flex the TBar panels and break the iced over bits. Yeah I forgot to treat those rubbers recently.

As for problems with cold leather seats... my car has the part leather part alcantera seats so they are not too cold in winter or too hot in summer.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”