Mouldy Soft Top

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Turbocarl

Mouldy Soft Top

Post by Turbocarl »

Friend of mine has a mk 3 with a soft top fitted and has fair bit of mould growing on the inside of roof!! I,ve checked all round and can,t find any leaks anywhere - the interior seems dry everywhere else. Is this a common problem? and is there any preventive measures to take. Also is there any precautions to take removing the mould? - I,d hate to take the colour out of the canvas removing the mould! Any advice greatly appreciated :thumleft:
eRATic

Re: Mouldy Soft Top

Post by eRATic »

sit in the car and have someone gently rock the car. You may hear water.

Also, go into the cubby holes behind the seats and remove the side panels. Feel around behind here for water. If the drain holes block up the water is held in here.

It may be just as easy to remove the plastic side vents and check the drain holes are blocked anyway(should be a routine item) There is a full guide somewhere.

I would have thought that if there is a damp problem enough to cause mould you would smell it.

See if you can find a way to remove the mould and then use a sanitiser spray (motorcycle accessory shops sell this)

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”