Anyone know anything about this car?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

832ARK

Anyone know anything about this car?

Post by 832ARK »

Hi

I'm thinking of buying this
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1332270.htm

Does anyone know this car? What would seem a reasonable price to be paying? Anything particular I should be looking out for?

Many Thanks

Alistair
malcster

Re: Anyone know anything about this car?

Post by malcster »

Looks pretty clean. No mention of a Cam Belt change though, and thats a big pain in the ass job.

Top Mounts and Dampers will be getting on a bit, I'd say after 60k miles they've past their best.

So if none of the above have been done I'd say that's a good £1000 worth of work (to get it spot on).

Bodywork etc looks pretty straight and clean, and if the modifications have been carried out by Pacific Works - they get a good name.

I just don't really know why you would spend all that money modifying something that needs simple service items like the above needing looked at. Just my 2p.

Cheers,

Malc
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

pretty sure thats Hardeep1990 off here. Might be worth a PM for more details.
ancient mariner

Post by ancient mariner »

malcster wrote:Looks pretty clean. No mention of a Cam Belt change though, and thats a big pain in the ass job.

Top Mounts and Dampers will be getting on a bit, I'd say after 60k miles they've past their best.

So if none of the above have been done I'd say that's a good £1000 worth of work (to get it spot on).

Bodywork etc looks pretty straight and clean, and if the modifications have been carried out by Pacific Works - they get a good name.

I just don't really know why you would spend all that money modifying something that needs simple service items like the above needing looked at. Just my 2p.

Cheers,

Malc

the guy says,he has a folder full of reciepts for services etc, i would be amazed if he has'nt had the cambelt changed,aswell as anything else that needed doing.looks a real good example imo.paul.
832ARK

Post by 832ARK »

Thanks for that, pretty sure the cambelt is done and believe the car has previously been on coilovers. If it is in as good condition as it looks is 3500 a reasonable price to pay?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

The good thing about MR2s is that the engine is non interference so if the cam belt does break it shouldnt break anything.
ancient mariner

832ARK wrote:Thanks for that, pretty sure the cambelt is done and believe the car has previously been on coilovers. If it is in as good condition as it looks is 3500 a reasonable price to pay?

well worth £3500 imo.
on the plus side.you don't have far to travel to view it.
i have lost count of the miles i have traveled over the years to look at possible purchases :roll: .
make the guy an offer and get it looked at :thumleft: .paul.
832ARK

Post by 832ARK »

Just found out its had 8 owners. Apparently 3 of these are garages and 2 are brothers, but that still puts me off slightly. It worries me that i'll be hard to sell in the future.
ancient mariner

832ARK wrote:Just found out its had 8 owners. Apparently 3 of these are garages and 2 are brothers, but that still puts me off slightly. It worries me that i'll be hard to sell in the future.

agree with you,would put me off aswell :roll: .paul
ChrisT

Post by ChrisT »

Looks a really nice example. Lots of paperwork. Low miles. Good mods carried out by a respectable garage and the best colour (in my opinion).

Wouldn't let the number of owners put you off. A lot of people buy jap performance cars because of their low price and then realise they can't afford to run them and then sell it on.

He provides a really detailed description of the car too. Clearly written by a literate adult. Not like a lot of the ads you see out there these days, where the car has done over 100,000 and there is no history / receipts, then when you phone to ask about the car the guy just says "it's an import innit, don't have no history", even though the cars been in the country 8 years!

But overall looks like a good car and very reasonably priced. It's certainly got to be worth a look if it's resonably local to you.
Andy-Runner

Post by Andy-Runner »

He's a member on here i believe, looks like the same kid thats selling the wheels in the for sale section
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I've just been offered my dream car, Merc SL500, for a good price, i'm gonna think it over through the weekend but if i decide to buy it, my Rev 3 tbar black GT turbo will be for sale.

Any inspection welcome, only used as a weekend toy.

55k miles, all standard apart from ssq ( sounds nice ), all usual GT refinements. When i bought the car it still had all the original window stickers in it. All original audio equipment, doesn't even have the uk freq conv.
The next thing on my list was a trip to rouge in the new year for cam belt and pump change.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

My rev1 had 8 owners when I got it at 82k. Other than the original garage all Mrs Yaassss - Darlings of 'The Old House, Post St, Leafy Commuter Belt'. 10yrs on I've replaced everything needed service wise and the engine and gearbox are a few hundred miles off 200k.
Service history is the key, previous ownership needs to be considered but can be positive even if high. Recent pics and mods (only done when standard parts needed replacing to keep costs lower) in my garage mate.
Go have a look see with another who knows 2s and see what you think.

R.

PS. Luke at Pacific Works looks after my car...... very well in my opinion.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

after mine was imported according to the dvla its had 12 owners!!!

worried not at all
832ARK

Post by 832ARK »

Well, I went to see it this evening and decided not to buy it. Not going to slate anyone's pride and joy on a public forum so I'll just say its not what I was looking for, I'm sure it'll make someone else very happy though! On a positive note I've agreed a deal on another Rev3 GT-S which is not only cheaper but has the added benefit of a chargecooler and by all accounts is in great condition. Should be picking that up on Sunday so I'll post back and report. Thanks guys.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”