Exclusive MR2 Track Day Weekender - 17/18 Oct

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: Exclusive MR2 Track Day Weekender - 17/18 Oct

Post by ashley »

I was suckered into buying them on the day, and I gotta admit I'm really pleased I did- got some good shots, but then I was going slow enough for them to catch me :eye:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

do your brakes have to work harder going to tyres like the r888's or is it the other way round?
i'm struggling to understand why i wasnt getting any brake fade on standard discs/pads when people can still get it on aftermarket set ups
is it simply that i wasnt working them hard enough as it certainly felt like i was :-k
starmist

Post by starmist »

I got no brake fade either with my standard setup, but i did try not to go mad on them.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Very much depends on driving style, some people's style works the brakes much harder than others. Personally I'm quite light on brakes so I never really have any problems either. Having said that after this weekend I'm seriously considering some upgrades in that department as although I wasn't getting any fade I reckon I could do with having more braking power available to me.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Hey guys'n'gals!

Just to add my bit to this - thanks SO much to Garrick for putting this together (including accommodation) and to him, Jo and all the BaT staff who made it work so well for us. It was such a bonus getting to drive the International GP circuit on the Saturday as, although it's a great place to start out, the Club circuit wouldn't have held my interest for too much longer :lol: Plus Church is so much more fun with that extended exit up to Rocket :D Only had enough brave pills to try it at 70+mph this time round

I'm still not a quick driver by any means, but my confidence is so much higher after this weekend, particularly due to the encouragement of the MR2 crowd and also to the excellent and perfectly pitched tuition from Charlie.

I spent most of the weekend finding the limit of grip and keeping things smooth and controlled - next time I may have a play around with things on the limit a bit more and build up my skills in that area and speeds also.

Highlights? Having my internal organs rearranged by Anna in the Exige, experiencing the amazing grip levels in Scott's car and also my first Mk1 rides at the hands of Chris and Neil, not to mention the amazing circuit and spectacular views over Snowdonia coming out of Peel for the first time.

I'm saving the pennies for the next one now \:D/
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Great weekend and great crowd. :thumleft:

Really enjoyed both the track layouts, although it would have been nice for the first timers if they could have remained split all day.
sketch

Post by sketch »

Just a quick note to say thanks to Garrick, Jo and everyone else involved in organising the weekend. I had a fantastic time, accomodation was cracking and the people were great. :thumleft:

As it was my first (driving) trackday I was soo nervous and worried about the car. I needn't have been though, over 500 faultless miles and a 5 mile smile were what I came home with.

My confidence did start to grow a lil' bit by the end of the morning and the drive home was ....erm lets just say...entertaining ? 8-[ (I still cant passenger though which is highly frustrating :( )

Was nice to see you both G & J, Tom good to see you after ages, I hope you can sort the poorly car (again) ](*,) Scott, Anna, John, Yanna, Phil and Vix :salut:

Hydar, Leesa, Neil and Jay ? (were you the one with the ponytail/ black mk2 that followed us for a wee way on Sunday morning ?) Anyway, nice to meet you all guys. :lol:

Garrick, when's the next one dude :rambo: (please wait for us to get crimbo out the way first tho') :lol:
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

Quigonjay wrote:do your brakes have to work harder going to tyres like the r888's or is it the other way round?
i'm struggling to understand why i wasnt getting any brake fade on standard discs/pads when people can still get it on aftermarket set ups
is it simply that i wasnt working them hard enough as it certainly felt like i was :-k

For sure if you have better friction between tyre and tarmac and you work the brakes to the point of reaching the new improved friction level they will have to dissipate more heat energy. It was quite cool on Sunday, (I wasn't there on the Friday or Saturday), and that will have helped, but you will find that when you start to really wring its neck the brakes will become woefully inadequate without trick pads and fluid. It was nice to see the MR2 people have such a good following willing to take their cars on track, the Supra club I am a member of are surprisingly reluctant to use their cars on track days and prefer drag racing or car shows. Odd.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Chris, are you still making brake pads? I remember hearing really good things about them a numbe rof years ago - when you had a white Skyline on the old circuit.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

System-G wrote:Chris, are you still making brake pads? I remember hearing really good things about them a numbe rof years ago - when you had a white Skyline on the old circuit.

I am doing them for a big range now, in both race and fast road compounds, not just Supras and Skylines. If you want MR2 pads just e-mail me please. [email protected] Thanks.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

do they usually look like this after a trackday? :shock:
System-G

Post by System-G »

They're not too bad for a full day :thumleft:

What compund are they? GG or SG?
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

the medium one, sorry i dont know the prefix
System-G

Post by System-G »

GG - yup, the wear is about right although I have seen a lot worse after a full day.
Chris Wilson

Post by Chris Wilson »

They have picked up a lot of rubber marbles on the way back in. They also don't look like they have been getting up to operating temperature, but it was a cold day and the surface had very low grip as it was very dirty and dusty.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

kaiowas wrote:Pretty sure I passed you late in the day

yes you did :thumleft:
some good footage there
Last edited by Quigonjay on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

dont know whats going on with those links, sometimes it takes you to the vid, sometimes it gives you freak jesus
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

does anybody know if this guy is on the forum?
pretty sure he had a camera on the front bumper of his car

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”